+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment requirements to sponsor dependent child

Anis370

Jan 7, 2021
Dear members,

Both me and my spouse recieved PR cards on a soft landing by sept 2019 after which we left the country. We're now blessed with a baby boy born outside of Canada. The plan now is for me to move back to Canada and submit his sponsorship application right after arrival.
I'm aware that no minimum income is required to sponsor a dependent child. How do I fill employment questions on the sponsorship form in this case and still be accepted as a sponsor please? I don't expect to be employed right after my return.. and definitely not on the 12 previous months asked for in the form.. although I have some work history with former employer abroad.

Lastly, I would appreciate if those who managed to sponsor dependent children recently can share their application timelines for reference.

Looking forward to hear your opinions

Stay safe
Anis

AM_2022

Mar 29, 2022
Dear members,

Both me and my spouse recieved PR cards on a soft landing by sept 2019 after which we left the country. We're now blessed with a baby boy born outside of Canada. The plan now is for me to move back to Canada and submit his sponsorship application right after arrival.
I'm aware that no minimum income is required to sponsor a dependent child. How do I fill employment questions on the sponsorship form in this case and still be accepted as a sponsor please? I don't expect to be employed right after my return.. and definitely not on the 12 previous months asked for in the form.. although I have some work history with former employer abroad.

Lastly, I would appreciate if those who managed to sponsor dependent children recently can share their application timelines for reference.

Looking forward to hear your opinions

Stay safe
Anis
Hi Anis - What steps you took for your above question. I am in the same boat

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Anis - What steps you took for your above question. I am in the same boat
Try to be specific with your questions.

Start by looking at the instructions:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

There is a longer monster thread of dependent child sponsorship here, read through it:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/dependent-child-sponsorship-2021.724538/

Simple version of instructions:
-one of the PR parents must be in Canada to sponsor;
-the sponsor must be compliant with residency obligation;
-you can apply for TRV/TRP for the child (read the instructions!), which may or may not be approved;
-if the child comes to Canada before being approved as a PR, the child may NOT be eligible for health care - check with the relevant province - and health insurance is important. Other things like school etc - again, check local eligibility.

Reactions: YVR123