+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Reference

GMoney

Jul 14, 2016
Hi All,

I am just starting the process of getting together my documents to apply for Express Entry. I have a couple of questions regarding employment reference letters. My employment history is as follows:

1) 2 years as a financial analyst at a well known company
2) 3 years starting and running my own business
3) 1.5 years as a strategy consultant at a global company in the U.S.
4) 6 months as a senior strategy manager at a different global company in the U.S. (current job)

Question 1: The requirement states that you need "at least one year of continuous, full time paid work in the same job". Does this mean that I will have to wait until I complete 12 months at my current job to become eligible?

Question 2: For job number 2 mentioned above, I ran my own business, but all transactions were officially done under my uncle's company because it would have been a real pain to set up my own company. As such, I unfortunately do not have the paperwork to prove this. Could I (1) write a letter of explanation regarding this, or (2) ask my uncle to give me a letter saying I was an employee at his company, which is technically true but a route I would rather not have to go due to personal reasons, or (3) just ignore this whole period since I can only get credit for a maximum of 3 years of employment anyway (although I assume a 3 year employment gap would seem shady and hard to explain away)?

Appreciate any advice that folks on the forum could provide. This could all be moot though since I estimate my CRS score to be around 454 and it seems unlikely to come down to that level any time soon. :(

Thanks!

coolhyd

Jun 1, 2012
GMoney said:
Hi All,

I am just starting the process of getting together my documents to apply for Express Entry. I have a couple of questions regarding employment reference letters. My employment history is as follows:

1) 2 years as a financial analyst at a well known company
2) 3 years starting and running my own business
3) 1.5 years as a strategy consultant at a global company in the U.S.
4) 6 months as a senior strategy manager at a different global company in the U.S. (current job)

Question 1: The requirement states that you need "at least one year of continuous, full time paid work in the same job". Does this mean that I will have to wait until I complete 12 months at my current job to become eligible?

Question 2: For job number 2 mentioned above, I ran my own business, but all transactions were officially done under my uncle's company because it would have been a real pain to set up my own company. As such, I unfortunately do not have the paperwork to prove this. Could I (1) write a letter of explanation regarding this, or (2) ask my uncle to give me a letter saying I was an employee at his company, which is technically true but a route I would rather not have to go due to personal reasons, or (3) just ignore this whole period since I can only get credit for a maximum of 3 years of employment anyway (although I assume a 3 year employment gap would seem shady and hard to explain away)?

Appreciate any advice that folks on the forum could provide. This could all be moot though since I estimate my CRS score to be around 454 and it seems unlikely to come down to that level any time soon. :(

Thanks!
Mention your self employed experience under personal history. You don't have to provide any proof.

When creating express entry profile, mention the experiences where you can provide proofs - employment letter, pay slips etc.

The above will work perfectly. Many people has done this.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Does it say "continuous full time work experience on the current job"?

GMoney

Jul 14, 2016
coolhyd said:
Mention your self employed experience under personal history. You don't have to provide any proof.

When creating express entry profile, mention the experiences where you can provide proofs - employment letter, pay slips etc.

The above will work perfectly. Many people has done this.
Coolhyd, thank you for your response.

I am in the process of creating my profile. Where is the "personal history" section where I can mention my self employed experience? I see a "personal details" section but it does not have any section to write anything regarding my self employed experience - only a bunch of drop down boxes for name, dob, marital status, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GMoney said:
Coolhyd, thank you for your response.

I am in the process of creating my profile. Where is the "personal history" section where I can mention my self employed experience? I see a "personal details" section but it does not have any section to write anything regarding my self employed experience - only a bunch of drop down boxes for name, dob, marital status, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.
You don't create your personal history until you receive ITA.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GMoney said:
Only if your current job is under a different NOC than the rest of your work experience, and you wish to apply under this NOC.

You need 1 year of continuous work experience under the NOC you're applying under. If jobs 1 or 3 are under the NOC you're applying under, they count as your 1 year of experience.
If you're applying under an NOC that only applies to job 4, then yes, you need 6 more months of experience.

GMoney

Jul 14, 2016
istari said:
Only if your current job is under a different NOC than the rest of your work experience, and you wish to apply under this NOC.

You need 1 year of continuous work experience under the NOC you're applying under. If jobs 1 or 3 are under the NOC you're applying under, they count as your 1 year of experience.
If you're applying under an NOC that only applies to job 4, then yes, you need 6 more months of experience.
Ah ok, I didn't realize I could apply under the NOC of any of the jobs I have held (I had assumed it had to be under the NOC of the most recent one). This being the case, I guess I will use the NOC from my 3rd job for the application.

Thank you for the super helpful and quick reply :).

GMoney

Jul 14, 2016
istari said:
You don't create your personal history until you receive ITA.
Gotcha. Still feels a bit weird to leave a 3 year gap but I guess it is what it is given the uncertainty in my ability to provide paperwork for that period. Note to self - keep detailed paperwork for all of your failed business ventures under your own name! :eek: