+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Reference Letter and Proof

pierrekiprov

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018
Hi All,

I'm a bit concerned because my previous employer was a limited company and on my employment contract they are put as LTD. However, my pay stubs and tax forms would say the (company name) PLC as they never changed them. Would this cause a problem when I'm submitting my further evidence of previous employment?

Thank you !

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hi All,

I'm a bit concerned because my previous employer was a limited company and on my employment contract they are put as LTD. However, my pay stubs and tax forms would say the (company name) PLC as they never changed them. Would this cause a problem when I'm submitting my further evidence of previous employment?

Thank you !
Isn't LTD and Limited the same? There's no legal difference between the two. On your employment letter, get the HR rep to add "Company name Limited" (previously know as Company name PLC) and it'll work. I did the same in my case too. IRCC isn't going to ask for tax forms (unless you are inland).

pierrekiprov

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018
Isn't LTD and Limited the same? There's no legal difference between the two. On your employment letter, get the HR rep to add "Company name Limited" (previously know as Company name PLC) and it'll work. I did the same in my case too. IRCC isn't going to ask for tax forms (unless you are inland).
Thanks, I will do that. They are currently LTD but previously were PLC and they never changed their tax forms or pay stubs to LTD but kept them with their PLC name. If that won't cause any issues then I guess that's fine.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Thanks, I will do that. They are currently LTD but previously were PLC and they never changed their tax forms or pay stubs to LTD but kept them with their PLC name. If that won't cause any issues then I guess that's fine.
If the employment letter clearly says Company name ltd (previously "company name PLC"), you should be good. Nothing to worry about in there. To the employment reference PDF, you can also attach an email conversation with your HR to highlight that it is only the pay stubs or tax forms where the company name hasn't been corrected and if IRCC wants clarification they can reach out to hr@companyname.com. Later is just an overkill, but if you can, why not get it.

pierrekiprov

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018
If the employment letter clearly says Company name ltd (previously "company name PLC"), you should be good. Nothing to worry about in there. To the employment reference PDF, you can also attach an email conversation with your HR to highlight that it is only the pay stubs or tax forms where the company name hasn't been corrected and if IRCC wants clarification they can reach out to hr@companyname.com. Later is just an overkill, but if you can, why not get it.
That's great, thank you so much. I think adding previous ''company name PLC'' and explaining this in my LOE will be sufficient.

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
I think you are really overthinking it. IRCC won’t care about the differences between LTD and PLC if the company name is the same

pierrekiprov

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018
I think you are really overthinking it. IRCC won’t care about the differences between LTD and PLC if the company name is the same
I agree, but knowing how accurate everything has to be, I would rather be prepared with an explanation should any questions arise.

Reactions: cz999

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I'd think from the perspective of "smoother documentation also imply faster processing". Feels like OP should go for getting the employment letter corrected if it isn't going to take too much time.

pierrekiprov

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018
I'd think from the perspective of "smoother documentation also imply faster processing". Feels like OP should go for getting the employment letter corrected if it isn't going to take too much time.
True, that shouldn’t be a problem, I’ll speak to HR to add it as an explanation in the reference