+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment outside of Canada - jobs that qualify

Dave K

Oct 1, 2012
Please help. I have a Colombian friend in a difficult situation. After nearly two years apart from her husband, she has been granted her permanent residency and can join her husband in Canada, but he just admitted having an extra-marital affair. She has a flight in two weeks and is very torn in her decisions, since she would like to eventually become a Canadian citizen and eventually have her mother join her from Colombia.

If things don't work out, what type of employment assignment would she need from a Canadian company in Bogotá to continue meeting her residency requirements? In particular, my question deal with OP 10, Permanent Residency Status Determination, and I've put in red the section that I'm wondering about:

6.5. Employment outside of Canada

The Regulations enable permanent residents to comply with the residency obligations while working, provided that:

• they are under contract to or are full-time employees of a Canadian business or in the public service,
where the assignment is controlled from the head office of a Canadian business or public institution in Canada; and
• they are assigned on a full-time basis as a term of their employment or contract to a position outside Canada with that business, an affiliated enterprise or a client.

So, if she eventually returned to Bogotá and got a job with a Canadian company, does it have to be an upper-level type job that is supervised from Canada? She is an economist and works in finance and equipment purchases, but only has a couple of years experience. It sounds like most jobs with a Canadian company in Colombia would not qualify for residency, since I suppose it would just be local supervision. Does any know more about this? Thanks in advance!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Dave K said:
Please help. I have a Colombian friend in a difficult situation. After nearly two years apart from her husband, she has been granted her permanent residency and can join her husband in Canada, but he just admitted having an extra-marital affair. She has a flight in two weeks and is very torn in her decisions, since she would like to eventually become a Canadian citizen and eventually have her mother join her from Colombia.

If things don't work out, what type of employment assignment would she need from a Canadian company in Bogotá to continue meeting her residency requirements? In particular, my question deal with OP 10, Permanent Residency Status Determination, and I've put in red the section that I'm wondering about:

6.5. Employment outside of Canada

The Regulations enable permanent residents to comply with the residency obligations while working, provided that:

• they are under contract to or are full-time employees of a Canadian business or in the public service,
where the assignment is controlled from the head office of a Canadian business or public institution in Canada; and
• they are assigned on a full-time basis as a term of their employment or contract to a position outside Canada with that business, an affiliated enterprise or a client.

So, if she eventually returned to Bogotá and got a job with a Canadian company, does it have to be an upper-level type job that is supervised from Canada? She is an economist and works in finance and equipment purchases, but only has a couple of years experience. It sounds like most jobs with a Canadian company in Colombia would not qualify for residency, since I suppose it would just be local supervision. Does any know more about this? Thanks in advance!!
She would have to be hired in Canada by a Canadian company and then transferred to its operation in Columbia.