+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Insurance

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hello,

I got laid off and I had applied for EI. The EI claim has been rejected with reason : insufficient hours/earnings.

TOTAL INSURABLE HOURS on ROE = 1463.

Per https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit/eligibility.html :
Region's unemployment rate is 13.1.
Number of Insured Hours Required to Qualify for Regular Benefits is 420.

I don't understand why my EI claim was rejected. Anyone have any idea?

Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
In another thread you stated,

I got the Technical Support Representative job at Transcom in October 2020. I was looking for better jobs and found one and hence had to quit the Technical Support Representative job in the middle of training. They told me that I won't be able to get rehired if I quit the job in the middle of training. Fearing that I would lose the better job, I decided to join it (in November 2020) and resign the Transcom job in the middle of training. Unfortunately now, I have been laid off from the job that I joined in November 2020.

So did you leave a job and then come back and then were laid off.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello,

I got laid off and I had applied for EI. The EI claim has been rejected with reason : insufficient hours/earnings.

Per https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit/eligibility.html :

Thank you.
Hello,

Thank you.
Something isn’t making sense. Did the job you got laid off from issue a ROE ?
On that roe what is the reason for issuance ? Your hours are calculated from the new job, not the position you quit from

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
In another thread you stated,

I got the Technical Support Representative job at Transcom in October 2020. I was looking for better jobs and found one and hence had to quit the Technical Support Representative job in the middle of training. They told me that I won't be able to get rehired if I quit the job in the middle of training. Fearing that I would lose the better job, I decided to join it (in November 2020) and resign the Transcom job in the middle of training. Unfortunately now, I have been laid off from the job that I joined in November 2020.

So did you leave a job and then come back and then were laid off.
Yes, I got laid off from the job that I started in November 2020.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Something isn’t making sense. Did the job you got laid off from issue a ROE ?
On that roe what is the reason for issuance ? Your hours are calculated from the new job, not the position you quit from
Yes. The job from which I got laid off most recently issued the ROE. The reason in that ROE is mentioned as A00. That same ROE has insurable hours = 1463.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
So you didn’t start a new job as per your other post. What is the real story then?
I started working for company A in October 2020.
I got job offered by company B. I resigned from company A and joined company B in November 2020.
I got laid off from company B in July 2021.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Thank you.
I would recommend calling them on Monday to determine why they think you don't meet the requirements. I don't think any of us are going to be able to determine if there's a real reason behind this or if an error was made.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I started working for company A in October 2020.
I got job offered by company B. I resigned from company A and joined company B in November 2020.
I got laid off from company B in July 2021.
You’d have to request for an appeal for the denial of benefits . Your file would be sent to an adjudicator to look it over .
When returns are filed for EI, the system will either auto approve , refer to a human to look over ( missing ROE), or deny .
Have you called EI regarding the refusal ? Sometimes there will be notes on the file . I worked for about six months taking calls at EI, so remember a few things .
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-reconsideration.html

Note the deadline to appeal

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I would recommend calling them on Monday to determine why they think you don't meet the requirements. I don't think any of us are going to be able to determine if there's a real reason behind this or if an error was made.
Yes, I am going to call them and see. Thanks.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
You’d have to request for an appeal for the denial of benefits . Your file would be sent to an adjudicator to look it over .
When returns are filed for EI, the system will either auto approve , refer to a human to look over ( missing ROE), or deny .
Have you called EI regarding the refusal ? Sometimes there will be notes on the file . I worked for about six months taking calls at EI, so remember a few things .
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-reconsideration.html

Note the deadline to appeal
I did get calls from a person from Service Canada as the company B took a while to submit the ROE. I will call EI on Monday and see if they have more details about the refusal. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thank you.
Did you get any severance?
Hello,

Thank you.
When did you start working and when did you get laid off? End of November? Beginning? Did you get laid off in July or August?

Last edited:

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Did you get any severenice?

- Yes, 3 weeks of severance.

When did you start working and when did you get laid off? End of November? Beginning? Did you get laid off in July or August?

- Started on November 2, 2020. Last day of work was July 20, 2021.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Assume you reported the severance pay. How many hours did you work a week? Amy time off? Strange….

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Did you have a prior EI claim ?
Was all your time working as an employee? Did you have any time where you were self employed and you invoiced the company for your work ?

Last edited: