+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Insurance

Longtooth

Sep 19, 2020
Hi,
I have worked in Canada for almost 3 years. My contract got over on March 2020. My company informed that they will not renew my contract because of the pandemic. hence I had to apply for a visitors record. To sustain in Canada i also applied for CERB , both were approved. However,I stopped receiving CERB after Oct 3, 2020. I was asked to apply for EI which i did. But, after 2 months a representative told me that I can continue submitting my employment insurance reports but they will not give me the money unless i have a work permit or at least i have applied for one. He also said that, if i disagree, i can challenege the decision of the government within 30 days. At this moment i dont have any offer from any company . It is very difficult for me to sustain in Canada without any financial help. I had this impression that part of my salary is insured( as per my ROE ). Is there anyway i can get EI from the federal government while i look for work ? please help, Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hmm , ok thanks
You should have never applied for CERB since you didn't qualify. Everyone was approved and it was explained that those not entitled would then be asked to pay back the CERB that they incorrectly received. I would be anticipating a letter asking for repayment of both EI and CERB. You have visitor status so you're not entitled to work. One of the major conditions to receive EI is that you are looking for work and are legally able to work.

Femme38

Dec 23, 2020
Hey guys, my boyfriend took CERB for 5 months with this thought that it also applied to people who COULDN'T find work during Covid. He made over 5000CAD in 2019 but lost his job in December 2019 unrelated to Covid. It was an honest mistake and he actually thought it also included those who couldn't find work which he was constantly trying to look for. Now he has returned the money in full and will pay taxes on it as well. Is this going to impact his ability to sponsor me?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey guys, my boyfriend took CERB for 5 months with this thought that it also applied to people who COULDN'T find work during Covid. He made over 5000CAD in 2019 but lost his job in December 2019 unrelated to Covid. It was an honest mistake and he actually thought it also included those who couldn't find work which he was constantly trying to look for. Now he has returned the money in full and will pay taxes on it as well. Is this going to impact his ability to sponsor me?
No impact. Are yo common law or getting married if he is sponsoring you.