+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer Under LMIA Asking For Money Until PR Application is Granted

emerett

Jan 18, 2023
Someone please help me understand my options.

I came to Canada on a work permit granted under an LMIA.
When I came to work on the first day, my employer asked me to pay them rent every month until my PR is granted.
My employer also asked me to pay their costs to run the business, or else the business will close down if they do not have enough funds.

I don't think they are being honest, but I don't want to report them because I want to get my PR.
What can I do?

Thank you

• Wow
Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

When I came to work on the first day, my employer asked me to pay them rent every month until my PR is granted.
My employer also asked me to pay their costs to run the business, or else the business will close down if they do not have enough funds.

I don't think they are being honest, but I don't want to report them because I want to get my PR.
What can I do?

Thank you
It's completely illegal for the employer to do this.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/protected-rights.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/report-abuse.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/vulnerable-workers.html

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

What can I do?

Thank you
Report them there are options for people with work permits being exploited by employers. You aren't a slave and have rights like everyone else in Canada.

ragolliangatan

Jun 1, 2021

What can I do?

Thank you
what they are doing is completely illegal - report them as it's exploitation

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021

What can I do?

Thank you
As others have mentioned this is completely illegal. I would try to gather as much information as you can, whatever it is pay slits, documents, emails, SMS, whatever an keep it as evidence. There are channels to help people as scylla posted. You mentioned that he makes you pay rent. Do you live in a place "provided" by your employer? As you also mention paying their cost to run the business, so essentially taking out your paycheck.
You can ask for an open work permit and be free of them showing said violations occur.

You can check if your employer has had previous non compliant with immigration programs and workers conditions. Although the list is not so big, not being there doesn't mean they are in the good, just they haven't caught them yet. Also worth to notice that if they found to be non compliant, the employer can face penalties ranging from $500 to $1,000 per violation up to a maximum of $1 million and revoke they ability to hire future workers.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/employers-non-compliant.html

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

What can I do?

Thank you
If you go along with this , you’re complicit

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020

What can I do?

Thank you
Oh God!!!! Which industry? Which province? Report them. Spread a word, gather docs to report them.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

What can I do?

Thank you
How did you find this job?