Visa Office......
Etobicoke
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09-10-2022
Hello,

I am hoping to get to Canada with an Employer-Specific Work Permit and I have a lot of questions I'd like to get answers to. Any help or resources are appreciated.

Quick intro: I live in the Czech Republic and I have been working for a Canadian employer for over 8 months as an account coordinator (junior role in marketing). According to NOC, I should be either 1123 or 0124. Both of them are Skill Level A. I didn't find any other relevant NOC codes for digital marketing. I am hoping to get to Canada for like 2-3 years and bring my girlfriend (she's a common-law partner as we've been together for 6 years and we lived together for over a year).

As mentioned, there's a lot of questions I have. When answering, please use the same code as I do so it's easier to navigate (when I do 1a - Question, please do 1a - Answer)

Labour Market Impact Assessment
  • Nothing here, I'll be leaving this to my employer.

Employer-Specific Work Permit

There's a lot of question but my main concern is visas as I read that anyone staying for over 6 months should obtain visitor visas (and temporary residence). I should be assigned Electronic Travel Authorization for 5 years so I am not sure if I need additional visas to stay or not.
  • 1a - What is the maximum length of an Employer-Specific Work Permit?
  • 1b - Do I get the same health insurance as Canadian citizens or do I need to pay for one by myself? (I read that the employer should pay the health insurance for me)

It seems like I will receive an Approval Letter before coming to Canada. When I am at the Point of Entry, I'll be issued the Work Visa. I'll also be issued ETA for 5 years.
  • 2a - Is ETA enough for me to travel from/to Canada when, for example, visiting parents in Europe?
  • 2b* - Do I need to get Visitors Visa or is ETA enough to get Temporary Residence? Is the Visitors Visa recommended?
  • 2c - Tied to question above. Can I even apply for a visitors visa so I get a Temporary Residence?
  • 2d - Canada.ca and Cig.gc.ca says that "Anyone who plans to stay in Canada longer than 6 months at a time must apply for a visa.". Do I still need to apply for a visa if I get an Employer-Specific Work Permit or, again, is ETA enough?

Bringing Spouse

This one is tricky and I don't really have much knowledge about this. I did some research but didn't find much.

* (from Question 2b) - I'd like to get an open work visa afterwards. It says I'll have to have to be a "temporary resident permit holder" so if I can get the temp. residence with ETA, I can apply for the open work visa right away.

** (Following from *) - If I get a temporary residence, can they issue the same TR to my girlfriend?

It's a lot of questions. I have been studying this stuff for quite some time but it's still hard to understand. Again, any answers are appreciated.

Thank you,

Sky

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am hoping to get to Canada with an Employer-Specific Work Permit and I have a lot of questions I'd like to get answers to. Any help or resources are appreciated.

Quick intro: I live in the Czech Republic and I have been working for a Canadian employer for over 8 months as an account coordinator (junior role in marketing). According to NOC, I should be either 1123 or 0124. Both of them are Skill Level A. I didn't find any other relevant NOC codes for digital marketing. I am hoping to get to Canada for like 2-3 years and bring my girlfriend (she's a common-law partner as we've been together for 6 years and we lived together for over a year).

As mentioned, there's a lot of questions I have. When answering, please use the same code as I do so it's easier to navigate (when I do 1a - Question, please do 1a - Answer)

Labour Market Impact Assessment
  • Nothing here, I'll be leaving this to my employer.

Employer-Specific Work Permit

There's a lot of question but my main concern is visas as I read that anyone staying for over 6 months should obtain visitor visas (and temporary residence). I should be assigned Electronic Travel Authorization for 5 years so I am not sure if I need additional visas to stay or not.
  • 1a - What is the maximum length of an Employer-Specific Work Permit?
  • 1b - Do I get the same health insurance as Canadian citizens or do I need to pay for one by myself? (I read that the employer should pay the health insurance for me)

It seems like I will receive an Approval Letter before coming to Canada. When I am at the Point of Entry, I'll be issued the Work Visa. I'll also be issued ETA for 5 years.
  • 2a - Is ETA enough for me to travel from/to Canada when, for example, visiting parents in Europe?
  • 2b* - Do I need to get Visitors Visa or is ETA enough to get Temporary Residence? Is the Visitors Visa recommended?
  • 2c - Tied to question above. Can I even apply for a visitors visa so I get a Temporary Residence?
  • 2d - Canada.ca and Cig.gc.ca says that "Anyone who plans to stay in Canada longer than 6 months at a time must apply for a visa.". Do I still need to apply for a visa if I get an Employer-Specific Work Permit or, again, is ETA enough?

Bringing Spouse

This one is tricky and I don't really have much knowledge about this. I did some research but didn't find much.

* (from Question 2b) - I'd like to get an open work visa afterwards. It says I'll have to have to be a "temporary resident permit holder" so if I can get the temp. residence with ETA, I can apply for the open work visa right away.

** (Following from *) - If I get a temporary residence, can they issue the same TR to my girlfriend?

It's a lot of questions. I have been studying this stuff for quite some time but it's still hard to understand. Again, any answers are appreciated.

Thank you,

Sky
1a - Normally two years then you have to extend based on your employer obtaining a new LMIA.
1b - Same as a Canadian.
2 - eTA
3 - She would apply for a spousal open work permit tied to your work permit (provided you have a NOC A, B or 0 job). The duration of her work permit will be tied to yours. Provided you are common law (i.e. can prove you have lived together for one year continuously), she can apply for the SOWP at the same time as you apply for your closed work permit and then you can travel to Canada together.

You don't qualify for a TRP or open work permit. TRPs are different than TRVs. TRV is a regular visitor visa. TRP is a special and difficult to obtain visa reserved for people who are inadmissible to Canada, typically due to a crime.

Your employer needs to get an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit.

I don't understand your last question.