+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer refusing to give pay slips. Can I apply for PR under FSW?

candyman2121

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
Hello everyone.

Back in 2014, I worked as a bookkeeper for a small business here in India. After working there for an year, I went to Europe for my Masters. Little did I knew that my experience as a bookkeeper qualifies for me express entry to Canada. The problem is that I did not keep all my pay slips from 2014. What to do now? My employer is saying that he can make me a reference letter saying that I worked there and everything but he will not give me back dated pay slips. To make things worse, I was getting paid in cash (pay packets) so there is no ITR.

What should I do in this case? Should I just keep on searching for more skilled positions or I can try with just the letter from my employer for whom I worked for during one year? I have a good chance of being selected right now as I get bonus points for speaking French but I don't know if CIC will accept my application with just a letter from my old employer. Unfortunately in India, not registering for an ITR is a big issue and it's also my fault that I lost all my old salary slips :(

I didn't know at that time that being a bookkeeper qualifies you for EE!

Any opinions or advice will be appreciated!

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Hello everyone.

Back in 2014, I worked as a bookkeeper for a small business here in India. After working there for an year, I went to Europe for my Masters. Little did I knew that my experience as a bookkeeper qualifies for me express entry to Canada. The problem is that I did not keep all my pay slips from 2014. What to do now? My employer is saying that he can make me a reference letter saying that I worked there and everything but he will not give me back dated pay slips. To make things worse, I was getting paid in cash (pay packets) so there is no ITR.

What should I do in this case? Should I just keep on searching for more skilled positions or I can try with just the letter from my employer for whom I worked for during one year? I have a good chance of being selected right now as I get bonus points for speaking French but I don't know if CIC will accept my application with just a letter from my old employer. Unfortunately in India, not registering for an ITR is a big issue and it's also my fault that I lost all my old salary slips :(

I didn't know at that time that being a bookkeeper qualifies you for EE!

Any opinions or advice will be appreciated!
You can use bank statements which shows salary deposits and attach an LOE. This might work.

candyman2121

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
You don't need to provide payslips, you just need your work reference in accordance with IRCC's requirements.
But what if they ask for it? Wouldn't I get my application rejected for lack of documents?

I can only give an LOE and obviously my old employer will do any verifications on my behalf. But my former supervisor is refusing to re-issue any old pay slips from 2014.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
But what if they ask for it? Wouldn't I get my application rejected for lack of documents?
I can only give an LOE and obviously my old employer will do any verifications on my behalf. But my former supervisor is refusing to re-issue any old pay slips from 2014.
Pay slips are not standard documents requested by IRCC for ADRs in relation to FSW applications, you're being too apprehensive.

Just get your work reference as required and submit your application.

Pay slips are generally only required for CEC candidates for qualifying Canadian work experience as part of a combination of documentary evidence as proof of employment, notably if they don't include other documents like their T4 or NOA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Airhulafe

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020

As @Islander216 mentioned paystubs are optional documents, I wouldn't worry too much about them,

candyman2121

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
Pay slips are not standard documents requested by IRCC for ADRs in relation to FSW applications, you're being too apprehensive.

Just get your work reference as required and submit your application.

Pay slips are generally only required for CEC candidates for qualifying Canadian work experience as part of a combination of documentary evidence as proof of employment, notably if they don't include other documents like their T4 or NOA.
Thank you so much for your reply. Can you please be kind enough to answer one more question that I have. My experience was gained in 2014 and I am going to apply for it now. Could it be possible CIC asks me why I did not apply for in 2014? Why am I using this experience after such a long time? I have perfect excuse for that since I was doing my Masters and learning French. But I am still worried!

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply. Can you please be kind enough to answer one more question that I have. My experience was gained in 2014 and I am going to apply for it now. Could it be possible CIC asks me why I did not apply for in 2014? Why am I using this experience after such a long time? I have perfect excuse for that since I was doing my Masters and learning French. But I am still worried!
No. :)

I had a friend who had a gap of almost 2 years, and literally put something close to doing nothing for the heading for this period, had no problems getting PR.

The only requirement is your work experience must be in the last 10 years to be valid for the minimum requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: candyman2121

Sydneyaccountant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2020
Payslips are optional from what I understand. As long as you’ve the reference letter with all the required details (including annual salary), that should be all good.

candyman2121

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
No. :)

I had a friend who had a gap of almost 2 years, and literally put something close to doing nothing for the heading for this period, had no problems getting PR.

The only requirement is your work experience must be in the last 10 years to be valid for the minimum requirements.
Thanks so much!

Msingh029

Star Member
May 11, 2023
Hello… I have applied for permanent residency via CEC. immigration officer has asked for T4, notice of assessment, and payslips for 2020,2021,2022. For 2020 I don’t have pay slips( I worked part time (international student) and worked for employment agency. ) I do have T4 from that agency but don’t have payslips. What should I do ? For year 2020, 2021,2022,2023 I have pay slips and T4 and notice of assessment but for 2020 I don’t have pay slips. What should I do ?