+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer reference letter by colleague/coworker

UmairS

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Hi

I am not comfortable in letting my supervisor know that I am applying for PR. However, my colleague (senior than me, and working together with me, but we report directly to one supervisor) has given my a reference letter on company's letterhead, and it fulfills all CIC's requirements. In the letter he has NOT stated that I report to him, but he has confirmed my status and described my roles and responsibilities. He has also NOT stated that he is my colleague.

If I just submit this letter, would it be fine? Or would it be misrepresentation, since CIC had asked for the letter to be signed my immediate supervisor/personnel officer?

Kindly advise

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Hi

I am not comfortable in letting my supervisor know that I am applying for PR. However, my colleague (senior than me, and working together with me, but we report directly to one supervisor) has given my a reference letter on company's letterhead, and it fulfills all CIC's requirements. In the letter he has NOT stated that I report to him, but he has confirmed my status and described my roles and responsibilities. He has also NOT stated that he is my colleague.

If I just submit this letter, would it be fine? Or would it be misrepresentation, since CIC had asked for the letter to be signed my immediate supervisor/personnel officer?

Kindly advise

Check this thread for the answer that you are looking for https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/nail-the-challenge-of-getting-reference-letter-from-current-employer.397796/

UmairS

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Thankyou Stanlee

But I have submitted it without mentioning it in LOE, should I be worried?
Also its not the main NOC I am claiming points for,but i just fear if this is misrepresenatation? Everything written on the letter is correct and genuine

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Also its not the main NOC I am claiming points for,but i just fear if this is misrepresenatation? Everything written on the letter is correct and genuine
It is not misrepresentation as your colleague has vouched for actually what you do at work. I am not sure whether the letter that you have submitted is on an official letterhead or also whether you have provided the business card of your colleague. If you feel that the case officer would need to do a bit of guesswork on this document, it would be advisable to explain the same via IRCC Webform, you can find the link here https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

UmairS

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
It is not misrepresentation as your colleague has vouched for actually what you do at work. I am not sure whether the letter that you have submitted is on an official letterhead or also whether you have provided the business card of your colleague. If you feel that the case officer would need to do a bit of guesswork on this document, it would be advisable to explain the same via IRCC Webform, you can find the link here https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx
He has provided it on the letterhead