+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer not giving letter of reference

student13

Oct 18, 2016
Hi Everyone, I need your advice and help please.

I work at a large university. I been working on contact here for 3 different jobs and have planned on using the last two jobs which falls under the right Noc level to apply to the nominee program in NS. I am also moving to another job here but have not started so did not plan on using that position. The program requires one year of experience and with the two combined I have over a year of experience.

The last job I am in, supervisor has provided me a letter of reference. But my previous job’s supervisor has not and is ignoring all emails, texts, teams message and phone calls. I have no written proof that has refused to provide me with a letter of reference. I had worked there for 6 months.

What should I do ? Do I have any options on applying without this ?

I can give:

• My contract offer letter which shows job title, when started and contract end date
  • A letter from HR detailing the positions I held and the one I will be moving to. The letter is signed, on company letter head and has email to contact person
  • The job description of the position, also has company letterhead but is not signed and stamped but in the letters states the job descriptions are given form HR office
  • Pay stubs and T4
What I cannot give is letter of reference for that job or any prove that supervisor is refusing to give it to me. I cannot show total hours worked. The HR letter only shows the number of days I was there and offer letter shows the number of hours per week I had to work.

What are my options, advice ? Can I still apply without this ?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
All those things you said sound fine. As per IRCC work experience requirements below. Your HR officer counts as personnel. My company for example doesn't even allow my manager to provide reference letters, HR has to do it. You've provided ample proof, it should be all good.

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

• a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and

mkremigio

Apr 8, 2022
Hi Everyone, I need your advice and help please.

I work at a large university. I been working on contact here for 3 different jobs and have planned on using the last two jobs which falls under the right Noc level to apply to the nominee program in NS. I am also moving to another job here but have not started so did not plan on using that position. The program requires one year of experience and with the two combined I have over a year of experience.

The last job I am in, supervisor has provided me a letter of reference. But my previous job’s supervisor has not and is ignoring all emails, texts, teams message and phone calls. I have no written proof that has refused to provide me with a letter of reference. I had worked there for 6 months.

What should I do ? Do I have any options on applying without this ?

I can give:

• My contract offer letter which shows job title, when started and contract end date
  • A letter from HR detailing the positions I held and the one I will be moving to. The letter is signed, on company letter head and has email to contact person
  • The job description of the position, also has company letterhead but is not signed and stamped but in the letters states the job descriptions are given form HR office
  • Pay stubs and T4
What I cannot give is letter of reference for that job or any prove that supervisor is refusing to give it to me. I cannot show total hours worked. The HR letter only shows the number of days I was there and offer letter shows the number of hours per week I had to work.

What are my options, advice ? Can I still apply without this ?
It is not required by law to give a letter of reference in Canada. You can show proof of your T4's, with hourly rate. Disclose the employer, length of time. Date start, date completed. The government can view on their end you were employed there. Hence SIN number. The best you might get is a personal letter of reference. EG: someone you worked with