+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer Name In EE Profile

greenboymx

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
Hi,

I'm about to finish my Express Entry profile, but now I'm facing a part in which I have doubts.

It´s a common practice in my country (Mexico) that employers have two different names: a legal name and a commercial name. For example, one of the companies in which I've worked is commercially known as TBWA / CHIAT / DAY, but the legal name of the company in Mexico is "Grupo Naret"; the job reference letter comes issued under that legal name. The problem is that if someone googles the legal name of the company, that person might not find much information, not even an official website (since that's just the legal name). I fear that Visa officer thinks that the job reference is phony due to the lack of information available on the web. On the other hand, it might be weird that the name mentioned in the Express Entry profile mismatches the name mentioned in the job reference letter.

This happens with every employer I've worked for.

So what name should I write down in the EE profile, the legal one or the commercial one?

Could the use of parentheses be a solution?

E.g. Grupo Naret (TBWA/CHIAT/DAY)

Reactions: hasaan.ali2003

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi,

I'm about to finish my Express Entry profile, but now I'm facing a part in which I have doubts.

It´s a common practice in my country (Mexico) that employers have two different names: a legal name and a commercial name. For example, one of the companies in which I've worked is commercially known as TBWA / CHIAT / DAY, but the legal name of the company in Mexico is "Grupo Naret"; the job reference letter comes issued under that legal name. The problem is that if someone googles the legal name of the company, that person might not find much information, not even an official website (since that's just the legal name). I fear that Visa officer thinks that the job reference is phony due to the lack of information available on the web. On the other hand, it might be weird that the name mentioned in the Express Entry profile mismatches the name mentioned in the job reference letter.

This happens with every employer I've worked for.

So what name should I write down in the EE profile, the legal one or the commercial one?

Could the use of parentheses be a solution?

E.g. Grupo Naret (TBWA/CHIAT/DAY)
Yes I would do what you just describe. Use parenthesis and give the commercial name. Also when you finish application there is a letter of explanation you can attach for more information on the application. Just explain this thing in the letter of explanation and provide links to the company website if that makes you feel better. The letter of explanation is a good way of providing any extra information which can help your application. And given that many people from your country may be applying to Canada it's possible that the visa officers may be aware of the fact that companies have two names.
I don't think there is anything to worry here. All the best!