+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emotionally Drained and Angry

crossiwre

Jan 11, 2019
My partner from Mexico got detained in the US yesterday and now was sent back. He had a valid US visit visa and canadian visit visa.

The border agent cancelled both visas and they put him on a plane back. i do not know why, but he was treated with lack of respect, no food or water and took all his things away for 30 hours.

This is Houston for you!

What is my course of action at this point. Why cancel the Canadian visa? I have to check with lawyer on all this but need opinions please.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but as far as I know the US has no authority to cancel a Canadian visa so can only assume some over zealous CBP officer could not read and just stamped/cancelled anything that looked like a visa in the passport.

Out of interest assume they gave a reason for refusing entry

As for the lack of respect this seems not uncommon and not just Houston, not just someone from Mexico. Occasionally you hear of people from Europe as well being detained for hours for some obscure reason such as having a similar name as a wanted felon or they accidentally checked the wrong box on a form. They to get shut away and treated as guilty of something until proven innocent, at least that’s the way an individual reports feeling at the time.

Above my personal view but seems you need to contact a lawyer and IRCC re the Canadian visa

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My partner from Mexico got detained in the US yesterday and now was sent back. He had a valid US visit visa and canadian visit visa.

The border agent cancelled both visas and they put him on a plane back. i do not know why, but he was treated with lack of respect, no food or water and took all his things away for 30 hours.

This is Houston for you!

What is my course of action at this point. Why cancel the Canadian visa? I have to check with lawyer on all this but need opinions please.
Practically there's really nothing you can do about the canceled US visa. US border authorities have the right to cancel them.

I agree that the US does not have the right to cancel the Canadian visa. It should still be valid.

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
In that little stretch from the entrance of US Customs to the exit of the CBSA facility you have zero rights and not too many freedoms. They can do what they darn well feel like within limits. Leaving your car disassembled in a parking lot for example is an old favourite. They don't often do that but like I say, "If you tick them off bring a wrench". Tell them it is not a weapon before you pull it out of your pocket especially on the US side. Best advice, "chill" at all times and be polite.
I'm actually to use an old semi/full racist favourite, very,"aryan" looking. They hassle me too; I wouldn't take it personally. Use the complaint line on their website (i'm serious; they like good pr too):
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/customer-service/handle-complaints

Last edited:

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Anything relating to entering Canada (via visa, PR card, etc) is outside of US Custom's jurisdiction. The Canadian visa should still be valid.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Anything relating to entering Canada (via visa, PR card, etc) is outside of US Custom's jurisdiction. The Canadian visa should still be valid.
Although still valid as far as Canada is concerned I guess the issue might be that US CBP in exceeding their authority stamped in large capital letters CANCELLED across any visa in the passport which for the passport holder could be an issue next time they try to checkin for a Canada flight to persuade a gate agent that it is still valid.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Mexican citizens do not need visa to visit Canada. He can try to re-apply again for eTA (but be sure to be truthful about this deportation), and see whether he can still get it.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Mexican citizens do not need visa to visit Canada. He can try to re-apply again for eTA (but be sure to be truthful about this deportation), and see whether he can still get it.
True that Mexican citizens now need an ETA and not a visa but doesn’t excuse the fact that USCBP had no right to cancel the Canadian visa in the OPs partners passport they happened to have or at least stamp as cancelled.

Reactions: meyakanor