+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emergency, my father had a heart attack and I really need to visit my country

sami_fabiha

Jul 22, 2020
Hi I’m currently in possession of the refugee travel document, my father had a heart attack recently and under significant issues, can I use the combination of travel document and my country’s passport to go back? My citizenship is taking forever to process, it had been two years due to covid, I can renew or get a new passport from my country but it could be too late, I already applied for urgent processing for my passport and went to the local MP but didn’t help, IRCC is not considering anything at all, I really need to travel back, can someone suggest me what to do or how I can go back? Please inbox me if u don’t want to post publicly, but I really need help, thank you so much in advance

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi I’m currently in possession of the refugee travel document, my father had a heart attack recently and under significant issues, can I use the combination of travel document and my country’s passport to go back? My citizenship is taking forever to process, it had been two years due to covid, I can renew or get a new passport from my country but it could be too late, I already applied for urgent processing for my passport and went to the local MP but didn’t help, IRCC is not considering anything at all, I really need to travel back, can someone suggest me what to do or how I can go back? Please inbox me if u don’t want to post publicly, but I really need help, thank you so much in advance
Sorry to hear about your father situation, but i hope you understand consequences of visiting your home country, renew your passport or use your country passport before becoming Canadian citizen..

sami_fabiha

Jul 22, 2020
Yes , but is there no workaround for this, I have applied for my citizenship two years ago, for no reason there has been no work done on my file, I never even left the country since filling for refugee, it is the most straight forward file ever, but for Covid they r saying nothing had been done on my file, this is insane, is there no work around for this or I just have to suffer like this

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Yes , but is there no workaround for this, I have applied for my citizenship two years ago, for no reason there has been no work done on my file, I never even left the country since filling for refugee, it is the most straight forward file ever, but for Covid they r saying nothing had been done on my file, this is insane, is there no work around for this or I just have to suffer like this
there is no workaround on this. flights share manifest and other information with CBSA....once they found out, it may put your application on hold and minister can file for cessation ( removing your status )

Reactions: sami_fabiha

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hi - really sorry to hear of your father's situation.

If anyone travels using a national passport from a country that they've claimed persecution from, and where they've received Canada's "protection" as a Convention refugee, then the person runs the risk of "re-availing" himself of the "protection" of the that nation that he expressed a prior fear of returning to in their claim.

It isn't simply returning to the nation of origin that causes the issue but is instead using the passport to travel at all because of the message inside of most every passport - the one that no one reads. The message usually asks on behalf of the issuing nation that anyone other nation accord some sort of consideration to the holder of the passport.

Immigration law is only about technicalities and this is one of them. People believe that they own their passport but they don't. The issuing nation owns the passport and we are all "holders" of whatever travel document that is issued to us.

Canada's passport says this in their document:

The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada requests, in the name of Her Majesty the Queen, all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely, without delay or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.

Will you get into trouble and lose your Convention refugee status in Canada and face removal? That's the risk anyone will invite should they travel on a document issued by a nation that they've successfully sought protection from.

Cessation is covered here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/vacation.html

sami_fabiha

Jul 22, 2020
Thank you so much for responding, if I use travel document to leave and use my passport somewhere will it not work, Im waiting for my passport for so long but didn’t work, also refugee travel document doesn’t work on some other countries I can take my father for operation, I’m stuck really badly and IRCC, do you have any idea if it is possible to Do it? Like using two passports parallely? I’m panicking right now

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you so much for responding, if I use travel document to leave and use my passport somewhere will it not work, Im waiting for my passport for so long but didn’t work, also refugee travel document doesn’t work on some other countries I can take my father for operation, I’m stuck really badly and IRCC, do you have any idea if it is possible to Do it? Like using two passports parallely? I’m panicking right now
Again, both option doesnt work. They have access to flight manifest, they can see you used your home passport, and rtd at the same time parallel…

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
You have my sympathy but you will run the risk of Cessation of your Convention refugee status if it's discovered. I don't want to editorialize but the culture of Canada's immigration enforcement processing is particularly excited to undue a positive refugee determination.

One admission stamp inside of your original passport that post-dates the positive determination of your refugee claim would be enough for the CBSA to write a report and start the ball rolling for your potential removal from Canada.

You have to do what you have to do, but you need to know what the risk may be and I can't offer much more clarity than this. You might not get caught, but then again you just might be pulled from a flight headed in either direction - it's an unknown. When you're travelling you're subject to searches all along the routing, records of entries will be created.., add any other things that can happen in international airports.

Talk to someone you trust about your situation because it can't be easy to be objective when you're rightfully conflicted. Perhaps ask your MP to not simply look for a Citizenship application update but to request that the application be elevated to the Manager's level for an expedited decision.

Good luck

sami_fabiha

Jul 22, 2020
Is there a way to request IRCC to urgent process the citizenship application? If urgent processing gets approved then that person does not need to give the citizenship exam, it has been two years if applied for citizenship I didn’t even receive exam link you know, I’m in a very tough situation, I reached out to Sean Fraser even the new immigration minister but there is no response

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Is there a way to request IRCC to urgent process the citizenship application? If urgent processing gets approved then that person does not need to give the citizenship exam, it has been two years if applied for citizenship I didn’t even receive exam link you know, I’m in a very tough situation, I reached out to Sean Fraser even the new immigration minister but there is no response
I really don't know much about Citizenship at all.

Masjuy

Dec 6, 2020
@sami_fabiha
I am really sorry what happened to your dad
Just I do not think you can do much in this situation. Many refugees are experiencing exactly the same situation. We have families, parents behind. It’s really tough but if you go, you will be in great risk of cessation of your protection

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You still have to take the exam under urgent processing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Here's the link for requesting urgent processing.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

sami_fabiha

Jul 22, 2020
I already applied for urgent processing, they don’t process urgent processing, they just mention that I have to wait, waiting for 2 years now

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I already applied for urgent processing, they don’t process urgent processing, they just mention that I have to wait, waiting for 2 years now
If you already requested urgent processing and IRCC turned you down, then unfortunately you have a very difficult decision to make. If you travel to your home country, then you risk cessation and losing your status in Canada.