+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emergency medical service in Toronto,,pls answer Qorax/Explorer

ripon243

Sep 8, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Qorax/Explorer1/All landed members,

As we wil not be able to find OHIP in the next three mobnths after landing,,,will we get any emergency medical service in Toronto area if i will not buy any insurance after landing???

I am thinking especially for my 3 yrs child.......if any emergency arise,,,will they offer free hospitalised service?

Many thanks...& pls suggest...

rivka

May 24, 2010
no, you will not get free ambulance service in toronto. the ambulance service is not free, even for those with ohip. ohip only picks up 1/2 of the cost (approx$45) for emergency use. emergency departments are now collecting the balance. if your use of the ambulance is considered not an emergency by the hospital, you will be charged the full cost of the ambulance, which is over $200. even if you have ohip and your use is considered non emergency use, you will be charged the full cost. non emergency is generally considered to be situations that other transport could have been used instead of an ambulance, i.e. non -life or limb threatening.

emergency nurse

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
rivka

What about Paramedics, I know that they roam around every neighborhood. How much do they charge?
ripon, take all meds with you for your kid, 3 yrs sounds fine. he/she will do good. Don't worry.

ripon243

Sep 8, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Rivka & Jnathan for ur reply

Dear Qorax/Exlorer1,

Can u pls explain it for me?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ripon243 said:

As we wil not be able to find OHIP in the next three mobnths after landing,,,will we get any emergency medical service in Toronto area if i will not buy any insurance after landing???

I am thinking especially for my 3 yrs child.......if any emergency arise,,,will they offer free hospitalised service?

As the previous member/s opined - u'd have to pay for everything. No waiver or discounts there. Landing w/out any Temp. Travel Ins. is the most unwise decision to take.

Qorax

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Till OHIP benifit is available to new landed immigrants, in case of any minor ailments ( not covered by health insurance) one can go to any Doctor nearby , pay $ 40-60 for consultation and buy medicine. My doctor had not even charged me consultation fee when i visited him for my disabled parking medical examination. Buy any health insurance from overseas and $ 100 will be deductable.
Normally one does not get sick here easily, because of less pollution, neat and clean surroundings. It has been more than 5 months here and I did not even had sneezing, fever, headache, stomach ailment etc etc.
If you wish I will get quote / reference of a travel insurance ( heath included ) in Canada and will give it here. I need your age for that send me by pm. Like qorax said it is unwise to land without heath insurance. If something serious happens then it is going to cost a lot.

Appan

Jun 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Grace of God
hi explorer101,

i have sent a PM
APPN

rivka

May 24, 2010
jnathan said:
rivka

What about Paramedics, I know that they roam around every neighborhood. How much do they charge?
ripon, take all meds with you for your kid, 3 yrs sounds fine. he/she will do good. Don't worry.

hi, sorry for the delay in my response. paramedics don't charge directly. they travel around the city awaiting calls from 911 dispatch. they don't pick up people unless it is cleared thru emergency dispatch. toronto ems paramedics are city of toronto employees.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would not suggest anyone to land in Canada without health/ travel insurance. God forbids if anything bad happen one is going to loose all his settlement money and may go into debt. It just cost few hundred $ to get travel / health insurance and at least one can relax with peaceful mind. I came to know someone lost $4000 for minor ailment after landing.

Have a sound starting in Canada, have travel insurnace as an insurance of good begining in Canada.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I would never travel anywhere without carrying health insurance. We are even encouraged to have emergency coverage if we drive to the US for a day of shopping. The costs of having to pay for health care out of your own pocket could bankrupt a person in no time. On the topic of insurance, it is also wise to buy property insurance. We hear of homes going up in flames and the occupants had no insurance. They lose everything they had. It is too sad.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pippin said:
I would never travel anywhere without carrying health insurance. We are even encouraged to have emergency coverage if we drive to the US for a day of shopping. The costs of having to pay for health care out of your own pocket could bankrupt a person in no time. On the topic of insurance, it is also wise to buy property insurance. We hear of homes going up in flames and the occupants had no insurance. They lose everything they had. It is too sad.
House insurance comes with auto insurance also, i bought it and am paying just $10 per month for a coverage of $20,000/-. Auto insurance + house insurance comes cheaper than just auto insurance.

sm001

Dec 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Qorax/Explorer

Which is the best travel/health insurance to take in india before landing (ICICI, etc.)? and for how many days (90 or 100 days, etc)?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ripon243 said:

I agree with other members too. If you are worried about the health of your child better you take a temporary medical insurance. It will not you cost you much for 3 months. You can contact Dan Pucher on the below given link:

http://pucherinsurance.com/

Before OHIP my 3 months were covered by this Insurance and also I took travel insurance for my trips to USA. They are comparitively cheaper.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sm001 said:
Hi Qorax/Explorer
Which is the best travel/health insurance to take in india before landing (ICICI, etc.)? and for how many days (90 or 100 days, etc)?
Buy anyone which is serviceable in Canada. Having a office/ customer call centre number in Canada/ USA.
In Canada if some thing goes wrong then threatment is given first ( big hospitals) with no questions asked and only after treatment the details of insurance or money is asked. Walk in clinic will tell pay them first and then take payment receipt to claim money from insurance co. For most of companies $100 is deductable. While paying for insurance do ask them as to where all the treatment can be taken like list of hospitals and what is included / what not is included. Someone landing in Ontario - take 90 days coverage.

rivka

May 24, 2010
explorer101 said:
Buy anyone which is serviceable in Canada. Having a office/ customer call centre number in Canada/ USA.
In Canada if some thing goes wrong then threatment is given first ( big hospitals) with no questions asked and only after treatment the details of insurance or money is asked. Walk in clinic will tell pay them first and then take payment receipt to claim money from insurance co. For most of companies $100 is deductable. While paying for insurance do ask them as to where all the treatment can be taken like list of hospitals and what is included / what not is included. Someone landing in Ontario - take 90 days coverage.
normally that is the situation. however in toronto, due to mounting government pressures, you will be asked for insurance and sometimes payment for services such as ems and the cost of registration. it does cost a couple of hundred dollars to register, prior to treatment. that is simply the registration fee. each subsequent procedure and physician fill will often be billed. it is unwise to present to an emergency department without insurance, credit card or some form of payment, if you don't have ohip. unless it is a life threatening emergency, most emergency departments can and will exercise their right to expect and demand payment for some services in demand. but also rest assured that we don't turn people away. but health care is not free. this includes the major hospitals within the city.

be prepared.

emergency nurse and former emergency department manager at a large toronto hospital