+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
NSL said:
My PR card has been received.

Here is my timeline:-
1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on September 24, 2015. (Card expired March 2016)
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on February 9, 2016.
3. We started processing your application on February 10, 2016.
4. We sent you correspondence on February 12, 2016 (went into SR)
5. Your Permanent Resident card approved on December 10, 2016.
5. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on December 14, 2016.
6. Card received by mail on December 23, 2016

Good luck to those are still waiting & you'll receive yours soon.
Happy new year 2017 everyone :)
Congratulations NSL! You are about one/two weeks ahead of me.
I received my PR card yesterday too (5 calendar days in the mail).

Happy new year :)

hassankhaliddar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2016
Hi.
My mother landed in montreal on 21st september 2016 but still not ŕeceived her PR card. How we come to know is there any issue? Why they are delaying? From where we can get inforation about delay? Kindly guide.

ronline

Jun 26, 2012
I read all 92 pages of this topic to get a clear snapshot about a PR renewal process.
I will launch my PR renewal process at the end of 2017 and I will share my time line and experience with the community as soon as the process will be launched, but, before I will get into the administrative process I would like to polish my case to avoid any procedural errors.

My Case:
PR card will expire on 14th November 2017 and I am already anticipating by gathering all necessary documents to make the work for CIC officers as easy as possible. I believe that a consistent and organized application is the initial step to avoid any additional document claims.

Despite that my PRC expires on the 14th of November I consider to apply for PRC renewal after the 14 December 2017.
The intent is to get one additional month for my PRO.

My Timeline with five years back window after the 14th December 2017 will be as following :
First stay: From 02/09/2014 to 27/12/2014 => 0 years 3 months 16 days
Second stay: From 11 Nov 2015 to 14 December 2017 => 2 years 1 month 4 days

I do have stamps with all above entries in my passports and I have kept emails with outgoing and ingoing flight ticket confirmations.

Issue with my first stay:
I cannot provide, Rental Agreement, Internet or Electricity invoice because I have been living for free in a flat of my friend and all bills are at her name.

After my first stay I had to suddenly leave Canada an I have stayed abroad for 10 month.
I have came back to Canada on 11th November 2015, I have immediately found a job and an on 14th December I will accumulate 2 years 1 month 4 days of PRO and I will be able to back my presence with bank statements, Rental Agreements, Canadian driving license, job contracts and T4 documents.

Possible Work around to validate my First Stay :
I do have the bellow documents with my name and the flat's address on it and I wonder if these documents may be used as replacement for the previously mentioned proofs of residence :
Bank Account Statements ( RBC ), Medical Card approval letter ( Government ), Job Contract ( well known financial institution ), Employment Insurance benefits ( Government ), GYM membership contract ( YMCA ).

I understood that the most of the issues in PR renewal happens when an applicants submit bunch of irrelevant documents and I can not blame a clerk who postpone the renewal process because of a lack of consistency and I am asking my self if will be my residential proofs for my First Stay sufficient?

The issue is that I am not in touch with the flat owner anymore and I don't want to jeopardize my PR renewal process because of being not able to provide a Rental Agreement, Internet Invoice or Flat Owner's Declaration on Oath.

The Dilemma:
Should I launch my PR renewal with First + Second stay documents ( 2 years 4 months 20 days )
or
Should I mention in my PR renewal only my Second stay ( 2 years 1 month 4 days ) which is backed with more or less the same documents as my first stay but over all I can provide a Rental Agreement.

In both cases I am eligible for PR renewal I simply don't want block my PR renewal because of the absence of Rental Agreement or Internet Bills for my first stay.

PS:
I would like to also get loan to purchase a condo, I am sure that such an act will shade a positive light on an applicant but I am also taking in account a worst case scenario where I can find my self a PR refusal on one side and an unpaid loan on another. But I think that this question my belong to another topic.

Ramik

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
Hi ronline,

I will try my best to answer your questions. I am not a lawyer or a consultant but just a fellow PR holder like yourself. :)

Lets first establish the rule of PR residence requirement. You need to be in Canada for 730 days within a 5-year period. From what I see below you seem to have already planned that by December 2017 you should have the 2 years needed.

The second point you should know of is that the expire of a PR card doesn't mean that you are not a PR holder anymore. It doesn't change your status. However, if you are in breach of your residence obligation (RO) you might be subject to an investigation where you will need to provide proof that you are present in Canada and if you are still in breach then this will trigger a change of status from IRCC (Order of removal) and so on. Having an expired PR is simply going to restrict your travel outside of Canada as you will need to have a valid PR card to travel or you will have to get a PRTD from a Canadian consulate or embassy from the country that you are in and usually takes few weeks to process.

From what we have seen in this thread, usually (and I stress on usually) that people who are very close to the 730 range (even up to 900+) get to secondary review which is basically a state of limbo and tireless waiting. My advice, if you are in no hurry to travel after your PR expires just stay more and apply for a renewal after a few months were you would have a nice number of days and hopefully you won't get into secondary review.

Hope I have I cleared some questions for you
Ramik

NSL

Sep 13, 2016
Chrome said:
Congratulations NSL! You are about one/two weeks ahead of me.
I received my PR card yesterday too (5 calendar days in the mail).

Happy new year :)
Thanks Chrome.
Congratulations to you too & Happy New Year 2017 :)

Kissyred

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
Thanks Kissyred.
Hope you will receive yours soon.
Happy New Years :)

Happy New Years!
I'm hoping that my card will not be 9, 12 or 18 months from my secondary review but may not have a choice.
This is very stressful, I was expected to have the holiday in my home country... so sad especially my mom is getting old and I want to have that time with her. not just easy to have the patience sigh.

I stayed over 1000 days... so I don't understand why my file went yo secondary review.

withhardshipcomesease

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
hassankhaliddar said:
Hi.
My mother landed in montreal on 21st september 2016 but still not ŕeceived her PR card. How we come to know is there any issue? Why they are delaying? From where we can get inforation about delay? Kindly guide.
Did you provide an updated Canadian address for her?
You can call the call centre to see if there are any issues. It might also be a photo problem.

Saga

Star Member
Feb 20, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 September 2010
AOR Received.
26 September 2010
Med's Request
22 February 2011
Med's Done....
29 March 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
19 April 2011
LANDED..........
26 May 2011
Kissyred said:
Thanks Kissyred.
Hope you will receive yours soon.
Happy New Years :)

Happy New Years!
I'm hoping that my card will not be 9, 12 or 18 months from my secondary review but may not have a choice.
This is very stressful, I was expected to have the holiday in my home country... so sad especially my mom is getting old and I want to have that time with her. not just easy to have the patience sigh.

I stayed over 1000 days... so I don't understand why my file went yo secondary review.
Hi - My case if similar to yours. I have more than 1255 days of residence in Canada since I became PR (less than 5 years ago) so I don<t only satisfy the requirement, I highly do. My secondary review confirmation was communicated to me in September and I have been waiting ever since. I had to forgo a lot of business trips since I will not wait to get a PRTD when I only need to travel for a day or two. I now have to go on a 3 weeks holiday with my wife (a Canadian citizen born in Canada) as part of our honey moon and while I will not be requesting a PRTD (since I have to give my passport away to visa services for an undetermined time to get the PRTD at the country where I am going), I will be entering Canada through the US. If you have a visa waiver passport or if you have a tourist visa in the US you can land in the US and drive to Canada. It is completely legal and IRCC will tell you that this is a way to enter the country. You should be coming in through the border on a personal car or a rental one and they will let you in without issues. So if you want to see your mother and can travel to the US just do that. I know it is not convenient and might be a little bit more expensive but it is a way

ohalawani

Oct 22, 2016
Here is my timeline for my PR renewal. If anyone has a similar timeline please share.

Application Received: Sep 21 2016
Following email received on Oct 31, 2016

The purpose of this letter is to advise you that a preliminary
review of your application has been completed. Your
file has now been referred for a secondary review. This
review will result in an additional delay. However, we
will endeavor to finalize your application as soon as
possible. You will be contacted if additional
information or documents are required to complete your
file.

Nothing since then..

My PR card will expire Jan 31st 2017 and will be eligible for citizenship in October 2017.

Kissyred

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
Hi - My case if similar to yours. I have more than 1255 days of residence in Canada since I became PR (less than 5 years ago) so I don<t only satisfy the requirement, I highly do. My secondary review confirmation was communicated to me in September and I have been waiting ever since. I had to forgo a lot of business trips since I will not wait to get a PRTD when I only need to travel for a day or two. I now have to go on a 3 weeks holiday with my wife (a Canadian citizen born in Canada) as part of our honey moon and while I will not be requesting a PRTD (since I have to give my passport away to visa services for an undetermined time to get the PRTD at the country where I am going), I will be entering Canada through the US. If you have a visa waiver passport or if you have a tourist visa in the US you can land in the US and drive to Canada. It is completely legal and IRCC will tell you that this is a way to enter the country. You should be coming in through the border on a personal car or a rental one and they will let you in without issues. So if you want to see your mother and can travel to the US just do that. I know it is not convenient and might be a little bit more expensive but it is a way.

Hi Saga,
I passed the residency obligation more than what it should. And, I read it somewhere that if we are travelling with a canadian citizen it is NOT counted as we are outside Canada. I always travelled with my Canadian husband, the only time I travelled alone was when my dad died in 2014.
Within 5 years, I did not travel for straight 2 years. 4 months a year in the last 3 years.
Sadly, I cannot travel via US and so many requirements to get a PRTD. Also there is no guarantee that you'll be given one. This is all stressful, sigh.

Happy for you that you can still travel, enjoy your honeymoon!

Chuc

Nov 22, 2016
Chrome said:
Here's the updated list (ordered by secondary review referral date):

Dec 2015: tonymiz, Mrmr*, rbrar14*
Jan 2016: Osama912, bahaar*, harshalp, KITJ, quari_gupta08
Feb 2016: vop, kwtangerine, clc70, NSL
Mar 2016: Peymanp, Chrome, Ramik, Brenttristan, bob27, peace65, jnasarat
Apr 2016: decent guy 3, Frank_vt1
May 2016: MatQue, davidT321
Jun 2016: Chuk, Kissyred
Jul 2016: Loulita
Sep 2016: quasar81, Saga

* indicates additional information/documents requested
Strikethrough indicates PR card approved

Good luck everyone!
good morning to all, is anyone updating the list !
guys let us know if anyone would like to add heréhis name into the list for reference and tracking , as well kindly to update us with the status ...
good luck to all