+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Hi All,

Firstly, congrats everyone!

I wanted to let you know that my application has been finally approved too! Thanks to everyone for their support especially @ramik and @AJK and @heeradeepak. I agree with @heeradeepak, they are definitely doing this in first come first serve among secondary just like my MP's office had told me. The cases piled up and once they moved their focus to it, they started looking into cases. But am grateful firstly, to God and secondly, even to the Minister's office for actually listening us out. I think the continued emails have helped. Maybe they didnt respond to us but it brought attention.

And praying for all of you in secondary review as I know its tough and nobody on the outside will understand the difficulty because you struggle so much. Once again, very thankful to all of us waiting who kept encouraging each other! You all should get your PR Card approved soon too!

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
vop said:
Hi All,

I wanted to let you know that my application has been finally approved too! Thanks to everyone for their support especially @ramik and @AJK and @heeradeepak. I agree with @heeradeepak, they are definitely doing this in first come first serve among secondary just like my MP's office had told me. The cases piled up and once they moved their focus to it, they started looking into cases. But am grateful firstly, to God and secondly, even to the Minister's office for actually listening us out. I think the continued emails have helped. Maybe they didnt respond to us but it brought attention.

And praying for all of you in secondary review as I know its tough and nobody on the outside will understand the difficulty because you struggle so much. Once again, very thankful to all of us waiting who kept encouraging each other! You all should get your PR Card approved soon too!
Congratulations and as i predict before they started to clean up their own mess and you will see within few months secondary review backlogs will be cleared as a magic.

Ramik

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
vop said:
Hi All,

Thank you vop and congratulations! I'm really happy for you and all others who got their PRs very recently! These wonderful news keep coming and I believe it is just a matter of days or weeks when I join you guys too in the list! ;D

NSL said:
Hi there,

Christmas present came early :) phoned IRCC today for my application status since unable to check status online since two weeks ago.
I was informed that my new card has been mail out yesterday, December 14, 2016.

Here is my timeline:-
1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on September 24, 2015. (Card expired March 2016)
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on February 9, 2016.
3. We started processing your application on February 10, 2016.
4. We sent you correspondence on February 12, 2016 (went into SR)
5. IRCC mail out card on December 14, 2016.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year everyone :D
Congrats kwtangerine and NSL! :)

Dec 2015: Mrmr, rbrar14
Jan 2016: Osama912, bahaar, harshalp, KITG, KITJ
Feb 2016: vop, kwtangerine, clc70
Mar 2016: Chrome, Ramik, Brenttristan
Apr 2016: decent guy 3
May 2016: MatQue

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
I just bumped into this thread after being away from this forum, and I can't believe what I'm reading.

I thought getting PR is a difficult process, but once you're through, renewal of your documents is a lot faster and straightforward.

The timelines that people are reporting here (12-16 months) are unbelievable. I will be completing 730 days about two months before my first PR card's expiry in 2017, but it looks like I should brace for the same kind of frustration that I went through when I applied for PR the first time.

edit: Application processing times link says '31 days.' How come there is so much discrepancy between what they say and what people here have been waiting for?

jaycue

Dec 16, 2016
Hi everyone,

Reading this forum is mostly depressing with random streaks of hope when someone receives their PR card!

So my PR card expired early Nov 2016. I know I should've applied earlier, but for some reason or another it kept getting delayed. This is my timeline so far:

- Renewal application sent by mail on 20 Oct 2016
- Received email from IRCC on 16 Nov 2016 that application was received on 24 Oct 2016
- Received email from IRCC on 22 Nov 2016 that file has been referred for Secondary Review
- Received mail by post from IRCC on 24 Nov 2016 requesting for color copies of all pages of passport and any travel document/visa issued to me when travelling outside Canada
- Requested documents sent by express post on 25 Nov 2016

That was the last communication I had from IRCC. I should also add that I had planned to travel in early Jan 2017 and enclosed a letter requesting to expedite the renewal along with a copy of my purchased airline tickets and itinerary.

Mrmr

May 16, 2016
kwtangerine said:
Congrats brent16 and clc70! I feel the need to post Chrome's list here again for reference:

Dec 2015: Mrmr, rbrar14
Jan 2016: Osama912, bahaar, harshalp, KITG, KITJ
Feb 2016: vop, kwtangerine, clc70
Mar 2016: Chrome, Ramik, Brenttristan
Apr 2016: decent guy 3
May 2016: MatQue
No update in my situation :( , applied for PR renewal July 2015
Secondary review December 2015
Residency Questionnaire June 2016
Documents Sent back July 2016
No further Updates! :(

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
to all who are waiting, please dont worry too much, your files will be approved soon. I had ordered my GCMS notes and my file wasnt touched up till the end of last month but suddenly, this month, it got approved. I know its difficult but am praying you get your cards soon.

@heeradeepak, I know you had said you wouldnt vote liberal because of this terrible experience but these rules were brought in by the conservatives. Yes, the Liberals have been following most of it but from my personal experience, when i had submitted my application, my MP was Michelle Rempel and I contacted her office 2-3 times and she didnt even respond to me and then, when I switched jobs and moved to a Liberal MPs riding, the Liberal MP's office kept asking the IRCC, for a total of 7 times in spite of the IRCC giving their boilerplate reply. For everyone, its their own judgement call, but for me, it was very heartening to see that the MP's office cared to even ask and I personally appreciated it because they were incredibly empathetic every single time I went to them and during this difficult time, I found God, my family, them and a few members on this forum who were going/who had gone through this supporting each other.

rbrar14

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
Mrmr said:
No update in my situation :( , applied for PR renewal July 2015
Secondary review December 2015
Residency Questionnaire June 2016
Documents Sent back July 2016
No further Updates! :(
Imstuck since since then as well

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
vop said:
to all who are waiting, please dont worry too much, your files will be approved soon. I had ordered my GCMS notes and my file wasnt touched up till the end of last month but suddenly, this month, it got approved.
My GCMS notes (received last September) showed that my file has not been touched for 6 months after referral for a SR.
I made a new ATIP request to see if there is any progress.

bahaar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-09-2010
Hi Guys,

I am in the same boat as many here.
Application received on August 13, 2015
Email notification that my application went to SR received on Jan 19,2016
Email requesting additional documents on Dec. 3, 2016

On December 3rd I received an email from my case officer to provide record of entry/exits to UAE from August 2010 to present ( this is 6 years)!
Since then, I have contacted embassy of UAE in Ottawa and immigration office in Dubai. I can not get this record unless I physically go to Dubai or give POA to someone there. I have never lived or been a resident in UAE. I only traveled to Dubai once in my life for vacation for 3 days .
My question is : Have anyone of you ever been asked for such document? And is there any ways to get it without POA? (The process of notary/authenticating in Ottawa and in UAE consulate will take well over 1 month) and that is IF I find someone who is willing to travel on my behalf to Dubai.
I am going crazy here! As I was waiting and hoping for some good news I received this email from CIC and all my hopes now are down the drain.

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
If you have to wait so long that you end up qualifying for citizenship application, is it possible to just initiate the citizenship process and forget about the PR card application?

(remember according to the new rules citizenship RO is 3 out of last 5 years).

OR not apply for PR card renewal to begin with. Just wait one more year and apply for citizenship directly?

bahaar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-09-2010
danhass said:
If you have to wait so long that you end up qualifying for citizenship application, is it possible to just initiate the citizenship process and forget about the PR card application?

OR not apply for PR card renewal to begin with. Just wait one more year and apply for citizenship directly?
I have already fulfilled 3 out of 5 years but I don’t think I can apply for citizenship yet. I know that there was a recommendation to change the requirement for Citizenship back to 3 out of 5 instead of current 4 out of 6 but it has not passed by parliament yet. is it?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
danhass said:

Current requirements for citizenship are still 4 years physically present in the last 6 years.

Proposed legislation to change the requirements remains bogged down in the Senate.

PRs who qualify for citizenship can indeed apply for citizenship even though their PR card is expired and do not need to apply for a new PR card pending the outcome of the citizenship application.

That said, if there are reasons why IRCC might refer a PR card application to Secondary Review, those same reasons are likely to divert a citizenship application into non-routine processing.

Moreover, of course, a PR will encounter inconvenience or even difficulties traveling abroad without a valid PR card.

But in any event, the PR who qualifies for citizenship should proceed to apply for citizenship. (Best to have a good margin over and above meeting the minimum 4/6 requirement.)