+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

Kuttykutty

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
Book a ticket to travel immediately (within three months). Have sufficient reason to apply URGENT processing. Speak to a CIC Agent and he / she will send you the link to upload the receipt of payment of the return ticket and your reason to travel. Within two days you will get an email stating if the URGENT processing request is accepted or not. Them as usual, wait, wait ... But it will happen in 40 days time, based on my friend's and my experience.
Good Luck

Kuttykutty

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
As stated if you speak to a CIC Agent about Urgent Processing, they will send a personalized link through which you can upload the attachments as a reply to their email itself. Unsolicited upload may not be accepted.

Amelia W

Mar 25, 2015
Kuttykutty said:
Book a ticket to travel immediately (within three months). Have sufficient reason to apply URGENT processing. Speak to a CIC Agent and he / she will send you the link to upload the receipt of payment of the return ticket and your reason to travel. Within two days you will get an email stating if the URGENT processing request is accepted or not. Them as usual, wait, wait ... But it will happen in 40 days time, based on my friend's and my experience.
Good Luck
thanks for reply kuttykutty. may I ask have you get your PRTD yet? if u do, how long did you have to wait? I am thinking should I send all my information and form to Canada visa office in china now before I leave Canada? cz I only staying in china for 3 weeks next month, don't know if it's enough time for me to apply PRTD just in case don't receive the PR card in time .... this just so much headache :'(

sarah johns

Star Member
Dec 13, 2013
please i need help i heard that the laws of renewing the PR have changed , I should stay 3 years out of the 5 years instead of 2 years ???
I didnt stay the two years yet does that mean that i have lost my PR ??

canamigrant

Jun 19, 2015
Family of 3. PR in June 2010. Returned back in 2013. Have completed the mandated 730 days on 06/10/15.
Applied for PR renewal in Dec '14, Received reply from CIC on all 3 applications on the 28th of Feb. For daughter and me, they asked for color copies of the passport - reply sent in April '15.

In my wife's case, the 28th Feb mail states that the application has gone in for secondary review.

Well settled in Canada with good jobs, bought a house in 2014. Have all intention of staying in Canada. All details provided to CIC as well including tax papers / employment letters and home investment. Confused as to reason for the secondary review only for her. As a precautionary measure, had sent across the color copies of my wife's passport and confirmed that we will be completing the 730 days by the 10th of June.

Wife & daughter have planned a trip to India in July. Tickets were booked way back in April. Applied for Urgent processing on 15th June '15 for both. Daughter received reply that her case is being processed urgently. No reply from CIC on wife's case as yet nor acknowledgement that the application has been received.

Thoughts & any advise

asdsd

May 31, 2015
Hi All, I was the one who had posted the "cooling off" period and after collecting our PR cards from CIC office, and speaking to some people in the office, it is certain that cooling off period is used to test the intentions of people to stay in Canada and be ultimately the citizens. That is also the reason that the new citizenship rule will now force everyone to renew PR cards as you have a to be a PR for 6 years and then collect 1460 days ( 4 years).... (with 182 days minimum each of the 4 years) to apply for citizenship. CIC is concerned that there are many people who actually start living in Canada after spending 2-3 years of residency outside Canada and then come here so that they barely complete 730 days to apply for renewal....and then leave again to repeat the cycle. Hence the cooling off period, where if you leave you have to apply for PRTD, which is a very inconvenient process....or go via US. in either case, they do monitor your movements through their system. Some of my friends did travel, but for real emergency back home via US or short business visit to US. I also know some people whose urgent case was rejected...or approved for some family members but not others. Hard to guess if there is a black & white rule on these issues, but it is certainly related to CIC's confidence/perception on people's intention to be citizens and serious residents. In my case they asked all 3 family members to collect the cards from CIC office...gave us same date but different timing....the timing did not matter as it appears to be just for spacing the rush. I collected earlier than my time and my wife and son collected later...and it did not matter. However if you miss the date, then you have to wait for about 60 days to get another appointment.

One thing is sure....if they haven't asked for any additional documents and you are under secondary review....just wait for a year, good news is that there is no issue with your application and just have to pass the cooling off period.

I didn't attempt for urgent processing as , to be honest, I didn't have any urgency...so didn't want to create one unnecessarily and always knew that I could go out via US. But as I said above, I have known people with all cases...urgent case approved, urgent case rejcted and urgent case approved/rejected for different family members.

Good luck...just be patient!

EddyIT

Star Member
Mar 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asdsd said:
Hi All, I was the one who had posted the "cooling off" period and after collecting our PR cards from CIC office, and speaking to some people in the office, it is certain that cooling off period is used to test the intentions of people to stay in Canada and be ultimately the citizens. That is also the reason that the new citizenship rule will now force everyone to renew PR cards as you have a to be a PR for 6 years and then collect 1460 days ( 4 years).... (with 182 days minimum each of the 4 years) to apply for citizenship. CIC is concerned that there are many people who actually start living in Canada after spending 2-3 years of residency outside Canada and then come here so that they barely complete 730 days to apply for renewal....and then leave again to repeat the cycle. Hence the cooling off period, where if you leave you have to apply for PRTD, which is a very inconvenient process....or go via US. in either case, they do monitor your movements through their system. Some of my friends did travel, but for real emergency back home via US or short business visit to US. I also know some people whose urgent case was rejected...or approved for some family members but not others. Hard to guess if there is a black & white rule on these issues, but it is certainly related to CIC's confidence/perception on people's intention to be citizens and serious residents. In my case they asked all 3 family members to collect the cards from CIC office...gave us same date but different timing....the timing did not matter as it appears to be just for spacing the rush. I collected earlier than my time and my wife and son collected later...and it did not matter. However if you miss the date, then you have to wait for about 60 days to get another appointment.

One thing is sure....if they haven't asked for any additional documents and you are under secondary review....just wait for a year, good news is that there is no issue with your application and just have to pass the cooling off period.

I didn't attempt for urgent processing as , to be honest, I didn't have any urgency...so didn't want to create one unnecessarily and always knew that I could go out via US. But as I said above, I have known people with all cases...urgent case approved, urgent case rejcted and urgent case approved/rejected for different family members.

Good luck...just be patient!
Hi asdsd ,

First of all congratulations on getting the PR cards renewed :D

I'm sure it's a great feeling to finally get this out of the way.

Thanks for taking the time to post this detailed update for us who are still waiting. It's comforting to know that if they didn't ask for additional papers (as in my case) then we should just wait for 1 year to pass. I still have about 2 months to go and, like you, I have no real need to apply for urgent processing.

Thanks again and best of luck to everyone still waiting.

ken2015

May 28, 2015
I have checked the online status & noted that they added a new information that "We sent you a letter on Jan 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us".
Before today the status was:-

1.We received your application for a permanent resident card on August, 2014.

2.We started processing your application on Jan, 2015.

Wondering if they are talking about the same email which they sent in Jan informing about secondary review or it is different, please share your experience.

behsuz

Nov 3, 2012
Hi asdsd,

did you get your PR card exactly one year after you applied? I am planning to travel 13 months after my application date. I wanna see how sure I can be to receive the card right after a year. I know someone who says he is now waiting for 14 months, but I'm not sure if his case is like us or not.

van23

Jul 1, 2015
Hi All,

Happy Canada Day!!

Learned a lot from this post today, and would like to share my timeline with you. Hope we can all share and learn from each other's experience!

2014/06 - Applied for PR renewal (normal)
2014/11 - Started processing
No updates/letters for 5 months...
2015/04 - Called CIC and was told that my case was under secondary review
2015/05 - Requested urgent processing
2015/06 - Case referred to the local office
No news since then...

Additional information:
1. I did my undergrad in Canada and lived here for over 3 years in the last 5 years (meet RO for sure) even though I went to my country of citizenship to work for less than a year after graduation.
2. Applied travel document in China once (many friends in this forum asked about it in this post) and got an R-1 (most positive) type, single-entry. From my experience, as long as you meet the 2 in 5 requirement, they will issue you a TD.

I read about the cooling-off period, but in my case, it's been over a year now. Any 2014 June applicants left??? This is really really disturbing... Dare not go anywhere now...

My questions are:
1. Has anyone's case been referred to a local office before??
2. Anyone who has applied TD twice or more and has been approved??

Really appreciate if anyone can answer my questions!! Thanks a lot in advance!!

Best regards,
van23

Rano2013

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Tinaturner said:
@ Amelia W

So if anyone traveled after landing in Canada, then the PR Renewal application will definitely go into Secondary Review ?

Am not sure anymore if this is called Permanent Residency or imprisonment ?! if the Residency Obligation is 2 out of 5 years then WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO TRAVEL AND COME BACK TO CANADA AS LONG AS WE MEET THE RO , WITHOUT HAVING TO SUFFER TO RENEW OUR PR CARDS !!!!

A 1st world country with all the capabilities and technologies that it has , is unable to dedicate a system to monitor the processing time of applications in Secondary Review ? or is it some kind of punishment because applicants dared to travel outside Canada during these 5 years ?

That's really a nightmare. :mad:

Tinaturner

Apr 30, 2015
Okay first it was frustrating now it's getting funny :)

First my application was reviewed then sent to secondary review, after 3 months in secondary review (never thought that a second opinion needs that much effort) I applied for urgent processing with a real medical emergency of one of my parents back home

Guess what, since I need my card urgently and I have an emergency so instead of issuing my new card they transferred the application to a local office and sent me an email to expect additional delay :)

Will my application be reviewed by every agent in canada ? Should I post it online for everyone to give his/her opinion ? Does urgent processing and a real medical emergency to canada mean that I have all the time in the world ?

How hard is it to either accept , refuse or ask for any supporting document for any application ?

After all these sick complications and twists and turns am honestly not that interested to be living in such a system anymore