+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Elongated Citizenship due to absence

immi2grate

Aug 2, 2013
I would have been eligible for Citizenship in April 2013, however, I left four months earlier in December 2012 as I was getting married and I wanted to spend the first years of my marriage with my spouse.

Once I came back to Canada with my spouse after 15 months of absence in March 2013, my new eligibility date for Citizenship was updated to 2016. I came to Canada in August 2006 as a student, then applied through Canadian Experience Class and has been a PR since June 2010. So effectively I have been a PR for 4 years and 5 months now, but that 15 month of absence has been right in the middle and is splitting my 3 years of being a resident in Canada.

Just to add, I had full-time employment through a Canadian company for 11 months even when I was overseas and I paid my taxes for that year for the full-time employment. If that helps my case.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
immi2grate said:
I would have been eligible for Citizenship in April 2013, however, I left four months earlier in December 2012 as I was getting married and I wanted to spend the first years of my marriage with my spouse.

Once I came back to Canada with my spouse after 15 months of absence in March 2013, my new eligibility date for Citizenship was updated to 2016. I came to Canada in August 2006 as a student, then applied through Canadian Experience Class and has been a PR since June 2010. So effectively I have been a PR for 4 years and 5 months now, but that 15 month of absence has been right in the middle and is splitting my 3 years of being a resident in Canada.

Just to add, I had full-time employment through a Canadian company for 11 months even when I was overseas and I paid my taxes for that year for the full-time employment. If that helps my case.
I think your data is not very clear. If you were in Canada as a student since 2006 and became PR since June 2010 then you are eligible to apply in June 2012(2 years PR + 2 years pre-PR).
Maybe you were away for sometime in between but you came back in March 2013 so you must have made up for all those absences. Unless there are some other absences we don't know about, I think you are eligible to apply now or even months earlier.

dlre

Star Member
Aug 30, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Goldline is right. And beside the time does not have to be 3 years straight, it is 3 out of 4 years total and you can count up to 1 year maximum pre-PR (pre-PR time are count at half so 2 years pre-PR = 1 year post-PR) so a break in between doesn't really matter unless your total time doesn't add up to 3 years.

I would say apply for your citizenship.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
immi2grate said:

Only the last four years are important. So, at the moment, that would be November 29, 2010 to November 29, 2014. Count your days in Canada between those two dates to see if you have 1,095 days. Going by your statement that you have been a PR for 4 years, 5 months, but were gone for 15 months in the last four years (and taking into consideration that the first 5 months of having PR status fall outside of the four years), I think you may be a few months short. You should, however, be able to apply before the new rules come into effect in or around June of 2015.

One part of your post is confusing. You state that you left Canada in December 2012 and returned in March 2013, which you designate as a 15-month absence. It is only a 3-month absence, so I think you have given an incorrect year of departure or year of return.

Donvalley

Oct 14, 2013
Toronto - Downtown
Visa Office......
................. [b]e-CAS[/b] (electronic Client Application Status) login : http://goo.gl/dQFOk
NOC Code......
................. [b]How to login e-cas[/b] using client ID: http://imgbox.com/hhIMgYf5
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
................. [b]Case Specific Enquiry[/b]: http://goo.gl/yCBCbB
immi2grate said:
...I left four months earlier in December 2012 .......my new eligibility date for Citizenship was updated to 2016.

.....I came back to Canada with my spouse after 15 months of absence in March 2013,....
Assuming this a typo; you returned in March 2014 not 2013

* Only physical presence in Canada counts towards citizenship, exceptions are working overseas for a Provincial/Federal Gov't or the Military.
* Working for a Canadian company can only help you to maintain PR status. For citizenship, you need to accumulate 1095 days of actual physical presence in last four years in Canada. So your time doesn't count.

However; you may not have to wait until 2016 as you said, -- correctly you have to wait until early 2017 by present system-- to cover the short days; but might re-qualify immediately when the new law will come effect as it will wide open the 3/4 years window to 4/6.

coolifrs

Star Member
Sep 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Follow the calculator.

If the calculator says you are not eligible, then you are not eligible.

If you try to apply without the calculator's approval, then you'll be in for a very long and cumbersome application process.

immi2grate

Aug 2, 2013
I am sorry about the typo. i actually went in December 2011 and came back march 2013, so 15 months absence.

My pre-PR time is before the last four years. Does it still count?

Do I only need to do 2 years considering I was living in Canada for approximately 3 years before I became a resident. But it falls before the 4 years from today, so not sure if I can include. The calculator does ask me when I came to Canada so it would have counted that period if it was falling under the last 4 years criteria. It didn't.

Maybe that is something to be explained in the application, I don't know.

Regarding this new rle of counting the past 6 years. Is it certain and when does it come into affect?

londonOntario

Star Member
Jan 14, 2010
Brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
immi2grate said:
I am sorry about the typo. i actually went in December 2011 and came back march 2013, so 15 months absence.

Do I only need to do 2 years considering I was living in Canada for approximately 3 years before I became a resident. But it falls before the 4 years from today, so not sure if I can include. The calculator does ask me when I came to Canada so it would have counted that period if it was falling under the last 4 years criteria. It didn't.

Regarding this new rle of counting the past 6 years. Is it certain and when does it come into affect?
Last time i checked people were saying it'd come into affect around may-june 2015. Check the forum.
Just fill up whatever the calculator asks. It's very easy. Or calculate it yourself, u don't need to be a math graduate for this. Forget all previous history. Since u became PR in june 2010, your earlier non-pr time doesn't fall into range. Start from 2 Dec 2010 till today and see if you've remained in Canada for 1095 days. If yes, then apply today. If no then add the missing number of days to today's date and apply then (if that new date is before the new law comes into affect). Simple.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
immi2grate said:

Hi. You're asking the same questions that have already been answered. Your pre-PR time does NOT count, because it was too long ago. Again...

"Only the last four years are important. So, at the moment, that would be [December 3, 2010 to December 3, 2014]. Count your days in Canada between those two dates to see if you have 1,095 days. Going by your statement that you have been a PR for 4 years, 5 months, but were gone for 15 months in the last four years (and taking into consideration that the first 5 months of having PR status fall outside of the four years), I think you may be a few months short. You should, however, be able to apply before the new rules come into effect in or around June of 2015.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed. Your pre-PR time doesn't count because it was too long ago. Only the last four years count and if you don't have 1095 days in the last four years then you can't apply. The fact you were working for a Canadian company and were paying taxes doesn't change this. You need 1095 days of physical presence in Canada to qualify.