+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Eligible to sponsor" While Application is Considered Incomplete? Huh?

evanhindra

Star Member
Apr 7, 2011
somewhere in the universe
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey all,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I did search on this topic, but most of the answers are rather vague.

Anyway, I submitted my application to sponsor my wife (along with all supporting documents such as Medical Report, Police Clearance, solemn letters from my friends, photos from our wedding & other proof of relationship, wife's license to practice, wife's diploma in DDS, etc.) back in March. CIC-M received it 6 April, 2011.

On 10 May 2011, I received an Email from CIC-M noting that my application has been received, and I'm eligible to sponsor my wife. They begun the process May 10th, 2011. However, also in the email, they stated that I didn't sign the IMM540 in the package I sent to CIC-M. They instructed me to send another copy that's been signed & dated to the VO in Singapore, which I have done on May 18, 2011.

This is all too confusing for me. They've stated that I'm eligible to sponsor my wife, while my application is considered incomplete. ECAS is also showing that "Decision Has Been Made" under Sponsorship Application Status; while "Not Available" is showing under Permanent Residence Application Status. Is this a bad thing, or a good thing (or neither)?

I Emailed them asking for a more detailed instruction, maybe if I have to mention specific names/direct it to a particular officer, etc. They didn't respond, although it had only been a few days since the day I set them the Email. So, today (May 20th) I Emailed them again, to let them know that I sent them a copy that's been signed & dated, and I asked for our File ID #.

Now, I wonder how the VO in Singapore is treating this? Are they going to start processing the application immediately (or effective of May 10), or are they going to delay it further (up to 90 days from what I have heard), even with the possibility they may have already received the updated IM5540?

If they are delaying this, how far of a delay is it going to be (or if there's going to be any penalty, such as time/grading points)?

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
I'm not sure what form that is, but it sounds like they didn't need the signature to approve you, but they will need it to finish out the application. Basically, instead of sending it back to you and delaying things longer, they are letting you submit a new one. Sounds good to me!

evanhindra

Star Member
Apr 7, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
awor said:
I'm not sure what form that is, but it sounds like they didn't need the signature to approve you, but they will need it to finish out the application. Basically, instead of sending it back to you and delaying things longer, they are letting you submit a new one. Sounds good to me!
That's a positive outlook… I didn't think of that before. That makes sense, actually! Thanks awor!

Oh, and BTW, it was the "Sponsor Questionnaire". The questionnaire, where they asked the sponsor (me) a bunch of things about myself. Such as family, education, work history; my plan once I've resettled in Canada; etc.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
evanhindra said:
So, anyone else has a similar experience?
Most people who forget to sign a form have the application sent back to them to sign and re-submit. You got lucky.

In the email they sent you, they should have given you a Kit ID or Client ID. Hopefully you quoted that and/or you and your spouses names and date of birth (and perhaps the fees receipt #) when you sent the signed form to Singapore.

evanhindra

Star Member
Apr 7, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rjessome said:
Most people who forget to sign a form have the application sent back to them to sign and re-submit. You got lucky.

In the email they sent you, they should have given you a Kit ID or Client ID. Hopefully you quoted that and/or you and your spouses names and date of birth (and perhaps the fees receipt #) when you sent the signed form to Singapore.
Whoa, I guess (or and I HOPE) I'm lucky! Has this ever happened before?

Regarding the updated document/package I sent them; I did attached a note, along with my Client ID # and my name; though not my Kit ID #. Somehow, I thought the Client ID # would be enough. I didn't mention my spouse's name though... I'm feeling pretty stupid. I should've, I hope that won't cause any issues/deduct points (or whatever).

You mentioned fees receipt #, I don't see any receipt number anywhere in the Email they sent me. However, they mentioned that the Email also acts as a receipt.

This letter confirms receipt of the processing fee. It is also an outline of the basic requirements of the undertaking that you have signed as a sponsor and your formal obligations under that agreement. Please retain this letter for your personal records. THIS IS THE ONLY COPY THAT WILL BE ISSUED TO YOU.

buffalo-toronto

Feb 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2011
AOR Received.
August 2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
29-01-2011
Interview........
Waived
In my case I forgot employment letter and Option C form ...2 big forms but still got approved. IO called and asked for it but still approved it. So good for us

evanhindra

Star Member
Apr 7, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CPC-M sent me a physical letter (despite them saying on their Email, that the Email would be the only copy I'd get), along with the IMM540 I didn't sign/date, though it was a photocopy, instead of the original form.

Would this be considered as "returned"? Since they only returned a photocopy of the form, and not the original?

Further thoughts?