+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility to vote in Sep 20 election

nicolass

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Hello, I have a question about eligibility to vote. I take my oath on Sep 17. Will I be able to vote in the federal election on Sep 20?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello, I have a question about eligibility to vote. I take my oath on Sep 17. Will I be able to vote in the federal election on Sep 20?
I suppose you should be able to. You'd have to register immediately after taking oath in order to be able to vote in the federal election.

Currently, online registration for voting is disabled. I hope they bring it back soon.

Please note that the Online Voter Registration Service is temporarily only available to check if you're registered to vote. We are currently initializing our systems for the 2021 federal election. Updating your address information or registering to vote is not available at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.
https://ereg.elections.ca/CWelcome.aspx

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you I’ll check that link after my oath, but I guess they won’t be able to put me on the voter rolls so quickly.
Hmmm. You should even be able to register yourself at Elections Canada office in-person or at a polling station.

https://ereg.elections.ca/eFAQ.aspx

• After an election is called – You can register or make an update in person at your local Elections Canada office or at your polling place when you go to vote. Find out where and when to vote and what ID to bring.

yasir22

Jun 5, 2014
ontario
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
21-05-2014
Doc's Request.
29-04-2015
File Transfer...
SA on 30-07-2014
Med's Request
19-05-2015
Med's Done....
upfront med.: 7-04-2014 and re-med.: 21-05-2015
Interview........
Waived !!
Passport Req..
DM on 2-06-2015, PPR on 05-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Visa issued: 02-07-2015, Received: 07-07-2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
I suppose you should be able to. You'd have to register immediately after taking oath in order to be able to vote in the federal election.

Currently, online registration for voting is disabled. I hope they bring it back soon.

https://ereg.elections.ca/CWelcome.aspx
Online voter registration was opened last week. I registered myself there. I think they closed it due to upcoming elections

tco23

Star Member
Jun 1, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Hong Kong/Gatineau
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I personally call this an entirely untimely decision, no pun intended, for our similar new citizens. My oath is (way) later than this election so, without saying an actual stance here for fairness, I can have no vote, so, goes without saying, I am voting for zero party or candidate this time.

IRCC is civil servants who don't deal with the federal or any other political force, but I still call this, the length of my application time and I think this applies to many, many of you, undue delay for citizenship. The main parties probably don't care about this small increment of voter base. Oh well.

Grassquit

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
Why register in advance?
To vote in a federal election, you must be registered on the list of electors.

You can register at the polls when you go to vote, but if you register in advance at the right address, you will receive a voter information card in the mail when a federal election is called. The voter information card tells you when, where and the ways to vote.

An up-to-date registration will also make the voting process faster.

Other ways to register or update your information
  1. On your Canada Revenue Agency tax return every year. Checking "Yes" to the questions in the Elections Canada section is an easy way to keep your voter registration up to date.
  2. By mail. Contact us and we'll send you a voter registration form by mail, email or fax.
  3. At your local Elections Canada office or assigned polling place when you go to vote. This option is available only when a general election or by-election is underway in your riding.

So I think the answer is yes, you can vote so long as you have something to show the folks at the polling place to prove your eligibility

nicolass

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Why register in advance?
To vote in a federal election, you must be registered on the list of electors.

You can register at the polls when you go to vote, but if you register in advance at the right address, you will receive a voter information card in the mail when a federal election is called. The voter information card tells you when, where and the ways to vote.

An up-to-date registration will also make the voting process faster.

Other ways to register or update your information
  1. On your Canada Revenue Agency tax return every year. Checking "Yes" to the questions in the Elections Canada section is an easy way to keep your voter registration up to date.
  2. By mail. Contact us and we'll send you a voter registration form by mail, email or fax.
  3. At your local Elections Canada office or assigned polling place when you go to vote. This option is available only when a general election or by-election is underway in your riding.

So I think the answer is yes, you can vote so long as you have something to show the folks at the polling place to prove your eligibility
I'm not sure what I could show them since I won't get the citizenship certificate in the 3 days after my oath! Any other proof I can use?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I opted to be included in the list of voters automatically in my citizenship application form. For the month after I took my oath, I was not in the list yet. But I checked last week (2 months after my oath) and I was finally on.

Just a heads up on how long it takes for this info to be updated. 3 days might be too soon I’m afraid.

yasir22

Jun 5, 2014
ontario
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
21-05-2014
Doc's Request.
29-04-2015
File Transfer...
SA on 30-07-2014
Med's Request
19-05-2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived !!
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
January 2016
I opted to be included in the list of voters automatically in my citizenship application form. For the month after I took my oath, I was not in the list yet. But I checked last week (2 months after my oath) and I was finally on.

Just a heads up on how long it takes for this info to be updated. 3 days might be too soon I’m afraid.
You can always register yourself at the link provided by rajkamalmohanram. It took me less than 5 minutes to get registered.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

I guess when you do the registration yourself, it might be sooner. I guess the delay in your case was because IRCC took too long to update your details in the Elections Canada database.

Reactions: bellaluna

yasir22

Jun 5, 2014
ontario
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
21-05-2014
Doc's Request.
29-04-2015
File Transfer...
SA on 30-07-2014
Med's Request
19-05-2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived !!
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
January 2016

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I guess when you do the registration yourself, it might be sooner. I guess the delay in your case was because IRCC took too long to update your details in the Elections Canada database.
You can always register yourself at the link provided by rajkamalmohanram. It took me less than 5 minutes to get registered.

I mean I didn’t expect there to be a federal election until 2023 so I wasn’t really rushing lol. And I was aware I could register at the poll on election day, having processed new voters myself as a volunteer. :)

(But yeah, you’d need proof like a citizenship certificate/card or passport.)

Just so much easier if you get the voter’s information card in the mail.