+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for work immediately after applying for the PGWP (as a graduate with two "part-time" semesters)?

jokepoke

Feb 27, 2020
Hi,
I'm an American graduate from a QC University who is applying for my PGWP from within Canada. I had severe mental health problems for two semesters when I was in school and did not finish the 4 classes that I needed in those semesters for them to have been considered "full-time" status. I'm aware that I have to explain this in my application and that my chances are lower for it to be approved, but It is not clear to me if I will be allowed to work instantly after I apply online and get implied status or not.

The cic.gc.ca website says the following, which leads me to believe that I can work immediately, as I appear to qualify for all 4 of these:
"You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:
  • had a valid study permit,
  • had completed your program of study,
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.”
The Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations do not go into much detail about this in what I think is the relevant section (in paragraphs v and w of section 186): https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html. It does mention that I would need to be a full-time student, but it’s not clear to me if I do not qualify, as I have been considered a full-time student since those two semesters.

If I can't work immediately, this would leave me in a very tough situation, as I can't really apply for it at the US/CA border in the near foreseeable future with all that's going on.

Would appreciate any of your thoughts on this.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I'm an American graduate from a QC University who is applying for my PGWP from within Canada. I had severe mental health problems for two semesters when I was in school and did not finish the 4 classes that I needed in those semesters for them to have been considered "full-time" status. I'm aware that I have to explain this in my application and that my chances are lower for it to be approved, but It is not clear to me if I will be allowed to work instantly after I apply online and get implied status or not.

The cic.gc.ca website says the following, which leads me to believe that I can work immediately, as I appear to qualify for all 4 of these:
"You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:
  • had a valid study permit,
  • had completed your program of study,
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.”
The Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations do not go into much detail about this in what I think is the relevant section (in paragraphs v and w of section 186): https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-186.html. It does mention that I would need to be a full-time student, but it’s not clear to me if I do not qualify, as I have been considered a full-time student since those two semesters.

If I can't work immediately, this would leave me in a very tough situation, as I can't really apply for it at the US/CA border in the near foreseeable future with all that's going on.

Would appreciate any of your thoughts on this.
You can work. Ensure you submit ALL medical documentation with your PGWP app in order to have a chance of approval.

jokepoke

Feb 27, 2020
My advisors at school tell me that I am not technically allowed to work, and yet most of what I read online doesn't seem to confirm that at all. I'm not sure if I can start working or if I need to move home : (

Bump

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My advisors at school tell me that I am not technically allowed to work, and yet most of what I read online doesn't seem to confirm that at all. I'm not sure if I can start working or if I need to move home : (

Bump
Were your two part time semesters right at the end of your studies?

jokepoke

Feb 27, 2020
Were your two part time semesters right at the end of your studies?
No, they were a couple years ago. I've prepared a few letters to include in my application and understand this will lessen my chances of getting the permit, but I'm hearing very conflicting things about if I can work under implied status or not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, they were a couple years ago. I've prepared a few letters to include in my application and understand this will lessen my chances of getting the permit, but I'm hearing very conflicting things about if I can work under implied status or not.
IMO you can work once you submit your PGWP application.

Unfortunately the chances of approval are certainly much lower with two part time semesters. But give it your best shot and maybe you'll get lucky.

jokepoke

Feb 27, 2020
Hey guys, just FYI I got approved after about a month and a half! Not sure if it was related to COVID and wanting to restrict travel between CA/US, but my application had a front and back page cover letter with explanations about why I did not go full time in the two semesters, along with a note from a doctor and a student disabilities office and everything worked out okay. Just posting unless somebody else has a similar situation in the future.