+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for PGWP for affiliated college

bond_thefrank

Nov 16, 2018
Hi everyone,
Currently, I am enrolled in a private college in Vancouver for the 2-year diploma program (Already completed 1 yr of course). I know that private college is not eligible to give the PGWP. However, my case is different, my college is an affiliate of public college from Ontario and I am taking their course here in Vancouver and will also get the transcript from there. So my question is will CIC will check the transcript for the eligibility or attended college? My college assures me that I will be eligible to apply for PGWP as I will get the transcript from the public college as well. However, I got a doubt as it is private college and I might get rejected on that basis.
I have searched for the various thread on this topic but couldn't get any.
So any expert advice on this matter or similar case result might help me to decide either continue to pursue here or ask to get the transfer to Ontario.
I appreciate your advice.
Thank you

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hi everyone,
Currently, I am enrolled in a private college in Vancouver for the 2-year diploma program (Already completed 1 yr of course). I know that private college is not eligible to give the PGWP. However, my case is different, my college is an affiliate of public college from Ontario and I am taking their course here in Vancouver and will also get the transcript from there. So my question is will CIC will check the transcript for the eligibility or attended college? My college assures me that I will be eligible to apply for PGWP as I will get the transcript from the public college as well. However, I got a doubt as it is private college and I might get rejected on that basis.
So any expert advice on this matter or similar case result might help me to decide either continue to pursue here or ask to get the transfer to Ontario.
Thank you
Have you checked in the DLI list?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/designated-learning-institutions-list.html

What is the name of the private institution?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,
Thank you
All that matters is who will issue your diploma. Will the diploma be issued under the name of the private college or public college?

Prabh1234

Nov 13, 2018
Hi everyone,
Thank you
The clear cut answer is that
If your college have DLI number
Than there is nothing to worry ..
Otherwise, u should take a advise from a lawyer cauz changing of college can effect your Work Permit and PR also.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Otherwise, u should take a advise from a lawyer cauz changing of college can effect your Work Permit and PR also.
Not necessarily true if the private college issues the diploma and completion letter.

Both private and public colleges have DLI numbers but PGWPs are generally not issued if attending a private college. Ultimately down to the visa officer if they accept the affiliation, nobody here can really predict that and private colleges are renowned sometimes for claiming a PGWP will be issued despite fact they have no influence.

Maybe share both college names as this scenario has come up before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Immstu

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Reactions: Immstu

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Completely wrong information.

You are the same ID who said that you will provide proof of VO letter for 3 week entry guideline.

If you don't know something then you shouldn't be assertive. This forum is read by people who seek genuine advice and there are lot of members who spend their voluntary time to help.

So please be bit mature here, if possible