+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for Federal Skilled Worker Category...Please Advise

KingS1

Feb 22, 2009
Hi All,

I am planning to file for Canadian immigration under the Federal skilled category. I have a Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science degree and have a total IT experience of more than 6 years. Currently, I am in U.S.A on an H1B visa for the past 2 years working as a System Analyst. My designation in my jobs has never been that of an IT manager but has been System Analyst, Consultant which matches the NOC code 2171 and some of the job duties match to 0213.

Please advise if I can apply for the Federal skilled category. If so, what code should I write on the application form and if not what are the other options for me.

Suggestions are welcome from all.

Thanks in Advance

V

Star Member
Jan 31, 2009
See the job description under each of the NOC codes you mentioned above. NOC 2171 is not in the list but NOC 0213 is. If you can get a letter from your employer stating your duties under NOC 0213 then you can apply under FSW category 3. Check out http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Another option for you since you have been in the US on H1B for more than one year would be AINP Strategic Recruitment Stream – U.S. Visa Holder Category. See here if you qulaify http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/srsvisaholder.html

Good luck,

V

Disclaimer: I am not an expert

sandiego

Feb 22, 2009
Hi V,

I'm also in a similar situation. Do I need to submit the letter from employer when I send the application to Sydney, Nova Scotia? Or is it Ok to write a self letter explaining the detailed duties and responsibilities? And later produce letter from employer to Buffalo (if CIC approves)

Thanks,
San Diego

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
I wrote a self explanatory letter for sydney and then sent a letter from my employer to buffalo. I knew what my boss was going to write, because I had already spoken to him about my duties and we listed them together. So my letter was not very different from the one I knew he would write.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
by the way, what i said was a bit misleading.

On one of the forms, there's space to list out the duties. I listed my duties there and then due to lack of space, carried it over to another sheet of paper. It wasn't a letter per se.