+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for Canadian citizenship while living in USA

canusa777

Apr 7, 2018
Dear friends, I have some questions for which I would like your best inputs on...
My situation: I have been in the US for over 2 years working in IT field, on H1b . I have my I140 petition approved. I recently got my PR in Canada and so to be eligible for Canadian citizenship one of the clause was we can work for Canadian employer without physically being in the country and still be eligible for citizenship.

My questions:
1: Can we work for US employer and Canadian employer simultaneously while living in USA ?

2: As per the clause that I mentioned above, please help me with more details?

All your inputs are appreciated!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
For citizenship you need to be physically in Canada in at least 3 years out of the 5 years at the time of application. Upto One year credit can be claimed in those 5 years for time before becoming a PR at half a day for each full day physically in Canada.

To maintain the residency obligation you need to accumulate 2 years in the first 5 years in Canada after which the 5 years is reset each time you enter the country where you need 2 years.

The only way you can claim the residency obligation outside the country would be if an individual were employed by a Canadian company and temporarily assigned outside Canada on a short term assignment. Or alternatively accompanying a Canadian spouse out of the country who is a citizen. Neither works for citizenship applications which require actual physical presence in Canada

So my answer and others can comment as well

1) no reason why not but would not count for the residency obligation given you were not /are not working in Canada for the Canadian employer who then assigned you temporarily outside Canada. You are currently living/working in the US and not Canada plus for citizenship only physical presence in Canada counts anyway.

2)you are mixing RO rules with citizenship rules. Citizenship can only be applied for with physical presence days in Canada there are no exceptions as per the RO rules.

See here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=4

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2014
1: Can we work for US employer and Canadian employer simultaneously while living in USA ?
If you are on H1B in USA, its illegal to work for any company other than your employer listed on Approved I797, right?
Though it might not be case if the second employer is Canadian... But in any case I will check with due diligence or consult a lawyer before doing that.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
If you are on H1B in USA, its illegal to work for any company other than your employer listed on Approved I797, right?
Though it might not be case if the second employer is Canadian... But in any case I will check with due diligence or consult a lawyer before doing that.
One can work for more than one company in US itself on multiple H1 (one is usually fulltime and the other would be part time - as long as there is no conflict of interest between these 2 companies.)

Dear friends, I have some questions for which I would like your best inputs on...
All your inputs are appreciated!
YOu can work as long as there is no conflict of interest (actually if they are not multinational then dont even worry about it as their markets are totally different).
Just make sure you file taxes on both countries and include the income in your resident country (the other income).

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
2)you are mixing RO rules with citizenship rules. Citizenship can only be applied for with physical presence days in Canada there are no exceptions as per the RO rules.
Not only that, but the PR RO rules regarding this is fairly strict. It is not as simply as working for any Canadian company abroad. IRCC is aware of people trying to exploit this loophole and have pretty strict guidelines on what they will accept.

Reactions: scylla