+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for applying PR if diagnosed with Cancer

snigdhap

Feb 22, 2016
Hi All,

Please help me to know the eligibility criteria for someone who is already in Canada.
Having work permit and ready to apply PR but unfortunately diagnosed with Cancer.
What should be done in this case? Will the person still can apply for PR? As it's necessary to stay in Canada for treatments. Or is there any other option?

Thanks,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How do they plan to apply for PR? Through which stream?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
snigdhap said:
Hi All,

Please help me to know the eligibility criteria for someone who is already in Canada.
Having work permit and ready to apply PR but unfortunately diagnosed with Cancer.
What should be done in this case? Will the person still can apply for PR? As it's necessary to stay in Canada for treatments. Or is there any other option?

Thanks,
Here is important what type of cancer (that will point out the treatment). Generaly is valid that when applying for PR, you need to have medical check done and in case of any problems you problems should cost less than 6500 CAD per year.
There are some types of cancer that are treatable with good view to be cured, while other can be difficult.
There are members that know much more about this than me.

snigdhap

Feb 22, 2016
Hi Cylla thanks for your reply.
What if they are planning to apply through spouse's employer? As during consultation the company immigration team asked whether anyone has serious disease like Cancer ? That time it was not diagnosed.

Is there any restrictions? Or can it be denied?As I mentioned earlier they are already living in Canada with work permit and trying to get a PR.

Thanks,

snigdhap

Feb 22, 2016
vensak said:
Here is important what type of cancer (that will point out the treatment). Generaly is valid that when applying for PR, you need to have medical check done and in case of any problems you problems should cost less than 6500 CAD per year.
There are some types of cancer that are treatable with good view to be cured, while other can be difficult.
There are members that know much more about this than me.

Thanks Vensak,
But will the immigration team consider incase Cancer is curable ? Or can they apply after done with the treatment? As the Cancer got caught during some neighbor ultrasound and the person was never aware of it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
snigdhap said:
Hi Cylla thanks for your reply.
What if they are planning to apply through spouse's employer? As during consultation the company immigration team asked whether anyone has serious disease like Cancer ? That time it was not diagnosed.

Is there any restrictions? Or can it be denied?As I mentioned earlier they are already living in Canada with work permit and trying to get a PR.

Thanks,
They will both have to pass a new medical when it comes time to apply for PR. As part of the medical, CIC will be looking to ensure that any conditions they may have will not cost the Canadian medical system more than $6,500 a year. If CIC feels the medical costs will be higher than this threshold, they will issue a letter explaining that they plan to refuse the application due to concerns that one of the applicants is going to be a burden on the health care system. You will then have the opportunity to argue that the costs of any treatment required will be lower than $6,500 per year.

I don't think any of us here can tell you if the cancer will be a problem. It depends how the medical is assessed.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
snigdhap said:
Thanks Vensak,
But will the immigration team consider incase Cancer is curable ? Or can they apply after done with the treatment? As the Cancer got caught during some neighbor ultrasound and the person was never aware of it.
here it depends if it was discovered early enough, if it is malign or benign type. What treatment is proposed and what is the projection of the life given by your doctor.
There are some types that can be treated completely or where the perspective of a good life is there. there are others which are more complicated.
Canada looks at it the way that they do not want too much burden for their health care system. thats all.