+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for 3-year PGWP with 1-year Post Graduate Program

SasaBasi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
I want to know the same, what's a short graduate-level then
I really don't understand the guys opposing that a post graduate dip or certificate isn't what the immigration website was referring to.

I would advise that you hold against applying for the study permit extension at this moment until the matter has been clarified further. It will be difficult to withdraw a pending study permit extension application for a pgwp.

Reactions: blueberrymuffin93

kathyberone

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
You are correct. I don't know why everyone insists that graduate certificates are not graduate level programs. The big question is when this will be implemented. We need to know so that we decide whether to extend study permit or apply pgwp
They are simply not. Graduate level means you get a DEGREE like masters or phd. Postgraduate certificates are not degrees, they are just certificates.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Can't two words refer to the same thing. They are both "College programs" and short graduate level programs. The key is in the word " short".Give me an example of a " short graduate level program" that is not a masters or a PhD
I think the government may clarify and call it post-degree. You even stated above “Graduate level literally means "after" the bachelor's degree” and college programs are just not for degree holders but those with a diploma, life experience etc. The issue is that IRCC says PhD, Masters and short graduate courses. Taking a PhD or Masters has very different admission requirements than a college graduate certificate program. Most are accepted into college programs. Will have to wait and see how it is defined.

All universities have post graduate certificate programs that require a degree. You are not eligible if you have a diploma. Attached is York U.

https://continue.yorku.ca/all-programs/

SasaBasi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
They are simply not. Graduate level means you get a DEGREE like masters or phd. Postgraduate certificates are not degrees, they are just certificates.
I ask again, what is an example of a "short graduate level program" that is not a masters?

SasaBasi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
I think the government may clarify and call it post-degree. You even stated above “Graduate level literally means "after" the bachelor's degree” and college programs are just not for degree holders but those with a diploma, life experience etc. The issue is that IRCC says PhD, Masters and short graduate courses. Taking a PhD or Masters has very different admission requirements than a college graduate certificate program. Most are accepted into college programs. Will have to wait and see how it is defined.

All universities have post graduate certificate programs that require a degree. You are not eligible if you have a diploma. Attached is York U.

https://continue.yorku.ca/all-programs/
This I can agree with you. The government needs to clarify what they meant with that statement. Only time will tell.

Reactions: blueberrymuffin93

Khadeen

Star Member
Aug 12, 2021
So what if a graduate certificate re a BSc, is that graduate certificate still not a graduate level program?

sarf12

Jan 22, 2024
I doubt it. You are not in a graduate level program. Most graduate level courses in Canada are at university. These programs usually require a degree only for admission.
But you don't use a high school diploma to apply for postgraduate programs in College. You will have to use your degree certificate to apply for that. Whether University or College you will apply with your bachelor's degree certificate.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
But you don't use a high school diploma to apply for postgraduate programs in College. You will have to use your degree certificate to apply for that. Whether University or College you will apply with your bachelor's degree certificate.
To apply to a college ”graduate” certificate program you don’t need a degree. You can apply with a diploma or sometimes life experience. University graduate certificate programs allow admissions only to degree holders. See my explanation above. All you can do is wait.

Reactions: kathyberone

kathyberone

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
To apply to a college ”graduate” certificate program you don’t need a degree. You can apply with a diploma or sometimes life experience. University graduate certificate programs allow admissions only to degree holders. See my explanation above. All you can do is wait.
This! ^ the colleges market these certificates as “graduate” but that’s so misleading. They are not graduate level since they allow diploma holders or, in some cases, people with work experience to get in. They are basically pathways for diploma holder or degree holders looking to change fields, but of course the college will allow degree holders to also apply if they wish to do so.

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
The full “letter of the law” is not yet available but you can clearly see the “spirit” of it is to stop “pay to PR” schemes. Going by that if a program has strict requirements (e.g. Postgrad or PHD) which require university degrees and are relatively competitive with limited intake, they are likely going to pass muster. If it’s just a certificate at a college where anyone including those with a diploma can pay for to get in, then it would be at risk.

Have to wait and see. Looks like a lot is also will be left to provinces.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Can't two words refer to the same thing. They are both "College programs" and short graduate level programs. The key is in the word " short".Give me an example of a " short graduate level program" that is not a masters or a PhD
No they cant be same thing. Graduate programs are Masters, Phd and Post Doc Progams.

farazh89

Star Member
Sep 10, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This. Its mind boggling that students enrolled in a college program don't know what the difference between a postgraduate degree and a certificate is.