+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility Assessment - Sponsor

jambaloni

Star Member
Dec 23, 2008
Section E Question 16 asks "Have you been charged with an offence under an Act of Parliament punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 10 years?"

I have read in the IP 2 manual that if this were the case your application would be suspended. I understand this question to mean "currently" have you been charged. It could easily ask "Have you ever been charged..." but it doesn't. It reads "Have you been charged..."

Also, it doesn't ask "Have you ever been charged or convicted of...."

So I assume this question applies to anyone who has recently been charged with this kind of offence and it's still pending. And this would be relevant since depending on the outcome of the case, it may affect your ability to sponsor your wife if you're behind bars.

Opinions anyone?

Cheers,

Tony

h8who

Jan 8, 2009
I am in the same predicament. I left a post a few days ago with the same question. I was told that it depended n the type of charge. I need to speak to an immigration lawyer to get everything figured out b/c I'm still unclear. I have a Fraud charge. But I wont be jailed for it. All depends. Hope it doesn't matter or I'm screwed to sponsor my husband.