+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Elibibility for Covid Relief

shehan2014

Dec 6, 2014
Hi,

I am a Canadian PR holder currently residing in my home country. In 2019 i worked in Canada for 2 months and earned just above CAD 5000 in both June and July. Do you think i'm eligible for the Covid relief package as i fall under persons who earned more than CAD 5000 in 2019 ?

Thanks

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

I am a Canadian PR holder currently residing in my home country. In 2019 i worked in Canada for 2 months and earned just above CAD 5000 in both June and July. Do you think i'm eligible for the Covid relief package as i fall under persons who earned more than CAD 5000 in 2019 ?

Thanks
No, you have to reside in Canada

Reactions: torontosm

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hi,

Thanks
No, this is not a program for the government to support people all over the world. This is a program to help those taxpayers in Canada who have been directly impacted by the COVID shutdown. You should look at programs in your own country of residence to help you through these times.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

Thanks
From your previous postings , you’re not even in compliance with your RO, as mentioned this income replacement is for individuals RESIDING in Canada
Investigate what programs your home country have in place for you & your spouse

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/process-of-pr-holder-living-in-canada-getting-spouse-to-canada.634511/#post-7887522

Aminder

Dec 13, 2018
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi.. i have a question plz help me. Im an international student. My husband is on SOWP from December2019. He left his job cause of COVID 19 on March 20. Is he eligible for covid relief EI?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi.. i have a question plz help me. Im an international student. My husband is on SOWP from December2019. He left his job cause of COVID 19 on March 20. Is he eligible for covid relief EI?
Depends on what kind of job he was doing, how many hours he worked, how much he made and what province you live in.

shehan2014

Dec 6, 2014
From your previous postings , you’re not even in compliance with your RO, as mentioned this income replacement is for individuals RESIDING in Canada
Investigate what programs your home country have in place for you & your spouse

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/process-of-pr-holder-living-in-canada-getting-spouse-to-canada.634511/#post-7887522
Thanks for the response! Also say i enter Canada early next month and have no issues at the border, do i actually have to stay 2 years until i'm compliant with the RO to sponsor my wife ? I contacted a lawyer and he said it is not necessary.. I'm getting mixed answers.. can someone pleae help me on this.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thanks for the response! Also say i enter Canada early next month and have no issues at the border, do i actually have to stay 2 years until i'm compliant with the RO to sponsor my wife ? I contacted a lawyer and he said it is not necessary.. I'm getting mixed answers.. can someone pleae help me on this.
Just because you make it across the border not being reported, doesn’t mean you’re Scott free
Yes, you have to be compliant in your RO to sponsor . If you’re sponsoring your spouse overseas you have to stay in the country, only citizens can sponsor while out of the country .If you can’t maintain the two years compliance to be present in Canada ,then you want to rethink things

Recommend going thru the sponsorship link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-assessing-sponsor.html

A permanent resident residing abroad is not eligible to submit a family class sponsorship.“

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Lawyer is wrong. You cannot sponsor your wife until you meet RO. If you submit the application now, her application will be refused and you can expect IRCC to open an investigation into your status as well and quite possibly move to revoke your PR status.

shehan2014

Dec 6, 2014
Lawyer is wrong. You cannot sponsor your wife until you meet RO. If you submit the application now, her application will be refused and you can expect IRCC to open an investigation into your status as well and quite possibly move to revoke your PR status.
Thanks for the resposne.. I actually have 1 year and 3 months until my initial 5 year period ends. I have also stayed in Canada already for 3 months. The first few years why i didn't move was because i was doing a masters programme locally and waited until it finished and then wanted to marry in my home country and move. I married in Jan 2019 and moved to Canada in May 2019, with exactly 26 month left ( having the ability to be compliant with the RO )

Early August i had to return back as my parents fell ill and i was the only child in the family. They are both 65+ and i had no option but to return and be with them until things settle. Now they have recovered to a greater extent and i want to make use of my PR status. I think i can build a case on human grounds for the last 6 months i was away from Canada right ? But being away due to completing a masters locally won't count i guess. ( The initial years ) However, my parents have been having complications due to their age from time to time. Do you think i should be able to make a case for the initial 2+ years i was away sighting the same health reasons of the parents ? I have a feeling i will have a chance on human grounds as i am the only child in the family. if i should get ready for something like this what sort of medical records will be required ? great if i can get some advice with regards to this.

Also, say i pass the border succesfully... unil i'm complaint with the 2 year RO, Can my wife apply for a student visa so that both of us can be together at least until i'm eligible to rightfully sponosr her after i'm compliant with the RO ?

When i applied for the PR back in 2015, I was single and my wife's details have never been mentioned anywhere. I assume that will help her to get the student visa without a problem ? your advice is much appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the resposne.. I actually have 1 year and 3 months until my initial 5 year period ends. I have also stayed in Canada already for 3 months. The first few years why i didn't move was because i was doing a masters programme locally and waited until it finished and then wanted to marry in my home country and move. I married in Jan 2019 and moved to Canada in May 2019, with exactly 26 month left ( having the ability to be compliant with the RO )

Early August i had to return back as my parents fell ill and i was the only child in the family. They are both 65+ and i had no option but to return and be with them until things settle. Now they have recovered to a greater extent and i want to make use of my PR status. I think i can build a case on human grounds for the last 6 months i was away from Canada right ? But being away due to completing a masters locally won't count i guess. ( The initial years ) However, my parents have been having complications due to their age from time to time. Do you think i should be able to make a case for the initial 2+ years i was away sighting the same health reasons of the parents ? I have a feeling i will have a chance on human grounds as i am the only child in the family. if i should get ready for something like this what sort of medical records will be required ? great if i can get some advice with regards to this.

Also, say i pass the border succesfully... unil i'm complaint with the 2 year RO, Can my wife apply for a student visa so that both of us can be together at least until i'm eligible to rightfully sponosr her after i'm compliant with the RO ?

When i applied for the PR back in 2015, I was single and my wife's details have never been mentioned anywhere. I assume that will help her to get the student visa without a problem ? your advice is much appreciated.
Being away due to completing a Masters is not accepted as an H&C reason for having been outside of Canada since you coudl have chosen to study in Canada. This was a personal choice. If you want to try using the health of your parents as an H&C excuse, you will need to be able to provide evidence to demonstrate that they were sufficiently ill over a two year period that they were unable to take care of themselves and you had to stay with them. You'll need evidence that covers the full two year period.

It will be more difficult for your wife to obtain a study permit since she has a spouse in Canada and IRCC may suspect she is using the study visa as a way of moving to Canada to be with you and isn't really a genuine student. If she decides to go this route, you will want to make sure that the studies she plans to take in Canada make sense in light of her previous education and work experience - it must be a higher level of study than she completed previously.

Reactions: shehan2014

shehan2014

Dec 6, 2014
Being away due to completing a Masters is not accepted as an H&C reason for having been outside of Canada since you coudl have chosen to study in Canada. This was a personal choice. If you want to try using the health of your parents as an H&C excuse, you will need to be able to provide evidence to demonstrate that they were sufficiently ill over a two year period that they were unable to take care of themselves and you had to stay with them. You'll need evidence that covers the full two year period.

It will be more difficult for your wife to obtain a study permit since she has a spouse in Canada and IRCC may suspect she is using the study visa as a way of moving to Canada to be with you and isn't really a genuine student. If she decides to go this route, you will want to make sure that the studies she plans to take in Canada make sense in light of her previous education and work experience - it must be a higher level of study than she completed previously.
Yes she already has a bachelors and we are looking at a 1 year Post Grad diploma in the same fields she has studied has work experience in. When she applies for her study do they ask whether the spouse is a PR holder or for my passport number ? how is IRCC going to know if i have the PR ? Could you explain me how the visa process works if you have any idea ?

Many Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes she already has a bachelors and we are looking at a 1 year Post Grad diploma in the same fields she has studied has work experience in. When she applies for her study do they ask whether the spouse is a PR holder or for my passport number ? how is IRCC going to know if i have the PR ? Could you explain me how the visa process works if you have any idea ?

Many Thanks!
She would be better off applying for a Master's. A 1 year post grad diploma may be seen as a weak reason for coming to Canada. Yes, they will know she has a Canadian husband (unless she lies about this would which is misrepresentation and will result in a 5 year ban from Canada). Full details of the process are here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit.html

shehan2014

Dec 6, 2014
She would be better off applying for a Master's. A 1 year post grad diploma may be seen as a weak reason for coming to Canada. Yes, they will know she has a Canadian husband (unless she lies about this would which is misrepresentation and will result in a 5 year ban from Canada). Full details of the process are here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit.html
Thanks for the response again, I thought they ask only for the marital status in the application, is there a place which asks whether the husband is a Canadian PR ? do they ask for PP number ? Where can we find a student visa application form to get an idea ?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thanks for the response again, I thought they ask only for the marital status in the application, is there a place which asks whether the husband is a Canadian PR ? do they ask for PP number ? Where can we find a student visa application form to get an idea ?
the message you quoted from scylla includes the link where you find the forms.