+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Elementary/Secondary - Public/Separate schools

Cdn28

Star Member
Dec 20, 2010
I've read a number of threads with people confused on the schooling.

Elementary School is for students usually up to grade 8 -- sometimes depending on your area, you may attend an Elementary School, then a junior high -- this often relates to the size of the school and its ability to accommodate students to grade 8 or not.

Secondary school - this is high school - usually for grades 9-12. All provinces now have grade 12 as the final year. Ontario also used to have a grade 13 year, but have now eliminated this year, changed their courses and aligned with the other provinces.

Public school system is for both elementary and secondary schools its non-denominational and is the most widely available.

Separate Schools, are also for both elementary and secondary and historically were only (primarily) attended by Catholic educated students. However ANY student has the right to go to a separate school if they wish to. Separate schools also have a mandatory religious class, but the school system realizes that some students will not belong to the Catholic Faith and have structured the program to reflect this.

Some Separate school systems have a dress-code policy and uniforms are worn, but not all. Where they exist uniform costs are incurred by the family - not the school.

after Secondary school students will decide whether to go to College or University. In Quebec they also have a CEGEP program which I believe is like a pre-university affiliation, like a college.

While there are more colleges aligning themselves with local university programs and running joint Diploma/Degree programs, MOST colleges offer certificate and diploma programs and Universities offer Degree programs.

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
hi Cdn28,

just want to clarify, separate schools are also government funded, meaning there are no tuition or book fees?

if there are no school fees, what are the costs incurred- school supplies, bags, daily lunch/snack, etc.?

also, i read that some schools do not allow their students to stay during their lunch hour (those with no school cafeteria). is this true? if so, how about those kids whose both parents are working? or those who need to ride the school bus to get to school? or during winter?

Cdn28

Star Member
Dec 20, 2010
Both types have funding. Home owners through their taxes direct to either the public or separate school systems. It's you're personal choice. You don't have to be Catholic to choose the Separate School system.

There are no additional fees for books etc. It's managed through your taxes.

Most schools offer some in-school lunch programme where children can stay in school and eat in the classroom. I personally don't know of any schools that don't have this offering.

Most homes have 2 working parents, so this is almost a given.

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
that is good to know. thank you for your reply. :)

most schools start student registration for the next school year every January right? Is that January onwards? We will be landing in Canada on Feb.4, can I still register my daughter for 1st grade then?

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you'll still be able to register at any time. Depending on where you live will dictate which schools your 'zoned' to attend. You can register at any time during the school year if the school is in your zoned area.