+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Elementary and Secondary education for children of people on work visa

delhi_itguy

Star Member
Feb 19, 2022
Hi,

I moved to Vancouver 7 weeks ago - I and my wife have work permit, whereas our 13 years old daughter has a study permit.

We applied for her admission in a secondary school, and received a message that they have forwarded our request to International Students department to determine whether she is eligible for funding.

I thought elementary and secondary education in Canada was funded by government, are there any cases where it is not? Will our daughter be eligible for funded education?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I moved to Vancouver 7 weeks ago - I and my wife have work permit, whereas our 13 years old daughter has a study permit.

We applied for her admission in a secondary school, and received a message that they have forwarded our request to International Students department to determine whether she is eligible for funding.

I thought elementary and secondary education in Canada was funded by government, are there any cases where it is not? Will our daughter be eligible for funded education?

Thanks
Is it the secondary school in the catchment area based on your home address? If so it should be approved. There have been issue in Cancouver with children trying to access public schooling when not entitled which is why I assume there are some checks and balances. Assume you submitted proof of your WP and at least proof that one of you are employed full-time if you arrived on a WP.

delhi_itguy

Star Member
Feb 19, 2022
Is it the secondary school in the catchment area based on your home address? If so it should be approved. There have been issue in Cancouver with children trying to access public schooling when not entitled which is why I assume there are some checks and balances. Assume you submitted proof of your WP and at least proof that one of you are employed full-time if you arrived on a WP.
Yes, the school is based on my home address. I have submitted my WP but the school web site didn't ask for proof of full-time employment (which I have), so I didn't submit. I hope it doesn't lead to a rejection.

Regards

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, the school is based on my home address. I have submitted my WP but the school web site didn't ask for proof of full-time employment (which I have), so I didn't submit. I hope it doesn't lead to a rejection.

Regards
I would submit proof of current full-time employment now. Can’t hurt. Your child should get approval of you are in Canada on a WP and working.