+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Electronics engineer - Do I need to get "Engineer in Trainee" for getting a job

ajay1989

Star Member
Dec 14, 2014
HI Guys,

I recently got ITA and my application is under process. I have a doubt regarding licencing needed for Engineers in Canada.
Appreciate if some one can help me with my doubts (I am sorry of I am posting in wrong forum or it is a repeated question)

1. I understand that Engineering is a regulated profession in Canada. My doubt is, do we need P.Eng (or Engineer in Trainee- for new immigrants) to actually get a job in Canada?
2. Or is it that, companies prefer some one with P.Eng (or Engineer in Trainee) while offering a job

Thank you in advance.
Ajay

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It doesn't apply to all Engineering vocations. Only for select professions under certain NOCs.

Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).

ajay1989

Star Member
Dec 14, 2014
Thanks Asivad.

When I was browsing through job requirements I couldn't see the job description asking for P.Eng or Engineer in trainee. But Canadian immigration says that Electronics Engineer is regulated profession. That's why I had this doubt.

Thanks
Ajay

april2014_AINP

May 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ajay1989 said:
Thanks Asivad.

When I was browsing through job requirements I couldn't see the job description asking for P.Eng or Engineer in trainee. But Canadian immigration says that Electronics Engineer is regulated profession. That's why I had this doubt.

Thanks
Ajay
You would need to get licensed by that province's regulatory board. There might be rare consulting positions where it isn't mandatory; but, you would be literally cutting your job prospects by a huge chunk if you don't get licensed.

Engineer-in-Training (EIT) is the licensing for fresh graduates (within 5 years experience; varies provincially). Whereas, PEng is given if you have a certain number of years under your belt. Depending on your education, you might have to sit for an engineering exam for EIT / PEng. In case you have a lot of experience and are eligible for PEng you will just have to give an ethics exam.

Which province are you coming to? I know thoroughly about the system in Alberta.

ajay1989

Star Member
Dec 14, 2014
april2014_AINP said:
You would need to get licensed by that province's regulatory board. There might be rare consulting positions where it isn't mandatory; but, you would be literally cutting your job prospects by a huge chunk if you don't get licensed.

Engineer-in-Training (EIT) is the licensing for fresh graduates (within 5 years experience; varies provincially). Whereas, PEng is given if you have a certain number of years under your belt. Depending on your education, you might have to sit for an engineering exam for EIT / PEng. In case you have a lot of experience and are eligible for PEng you will just have to give an ethics exam.

Which province are you coming to? I know thoroughly about the system in Alberta.

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to go to Ontario first since I believe it has more opportunities for Electronics Engineer.

But I have a doubt.
I checked online for the requirement for PEng and they are asking for 4 years of experience of which at least 1 year to be in Canada. Even though I have 5+ years of work experience, I would not be eligible for PEng unless I have a year of experience in Canada and so I can only go for EIT.

Can you confirm that EIT has the same job prospects as PEng since I can get PEng with in a year of working with EIT?
Also can we get EIT before landing in Canada (i.e. can I apply from overseas)? I heard I may have to write some exams for it.
Your help will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Ajay

april2014_AINP

May 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ajay1989 said:
Thanks for the reply. I am planning to go to Ontario first since I believe it has more opportunities for Electronics Engineer.

But I have a doubt.
I checked online for the requirement for PEng and they are asking for 4 years of experience of which at least 1 year to be in Canada. Even though I have 5+ years of work experience, I would not be eligible for PEng unless I have a year of experience in Canada and so I can only go for EIT.

Can you confirm that EIT has the same job prospects as PEng since I can get PEng with in a year of working with EIT?
Also can we get EIT before landing in Canada (i.e. can I apply from overseas)? I heard I may have to write some exams for it.
Your help will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Ajay
Yes, unfortunately you have to go for EIT and get the required one year experience before getting your PEng.

Yes you can apply before coming here. Depending on your education you might have to write technical exams. Once you apply with your transcripts, they will evaluate and might assign you exams.

Unfortunately, PEng has way more prospects and higher salaries than EIT. EIT is basically for fresh graduates with little to no experience. But in case you have experience in a specific field which is in high-demand in Ontario, you should be able to find a job.

Seemo1984

Mar 11, 2016
april2014_AINP said:

Hi april2014
can you give us a walk through in becoming a Peng in Alberta?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
ajay1989 said:
1. I understand that Engineering is a regulated profession in Canada. My doubt is, do we need P.Eng (or Engineer in Trainee- for new immigrants) to actually get a job in Canada?
2. Or is it that, companies prefer some one with P.Eng (or Engineer in Trainee) while offering a job

1. you need P.Eng to sign off drawings and reports. If you are not responsible for that kind of things and are working for someone who is a P.Eng. you may not need it.
2. Employers do prefer a P.Eng designation and some connection to the engineer association of the province, meaning they can impose you on more responsibility and do more work for them.