+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Electronic and Digital products (B4 form and list)

smile1212

Oct 28, 2014
I am preparing the goods to follow list for landing documentation. I have found on some forum discussions that we need to list model and serial number for each electronic and digital products (same instruction from the moving company on preparing the shipping list). My question for any tips or experience learning from you please,
- some audio equipment was bought 10 years ago and no receipt - do we estimate what we paid?
- some were DIY with parts (the speakers for example) therefore no serial number,do I just put no serial number or what is a better way ? What we may need to be asked at custom?
- for computer and portable hard disks, will the custom may ask us to switch on and show what files are inside?

Thanks

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
- no, estimate what the unit's current value is today. A good way to approach it is: if you're to sell the electronic today, how much would you want for it?
- For DIY, just indicate the item, "speakers", and estimated value. You can perhaps indicate the speaker brand and model number e.g Polk Audio RTiA9 Speakers. If asked (which most likely won't happen), tell them they were DIY items so... It shouldn't be a problem. Generally, if you have no serial number; name the item and indicate it's estimated value - it won't be a problem (it wasn't for me), and the officers won't go thru the list item-by-item. So worry not. Personally, I was only asked if I owned the stuff for a while - "didn't buy it a few weeks ago!?"
- Yes they may ask you to turn them on, but they don't always do. That's likely to happen if you're selected for secondary screening, which happens if you're randomly selected for it, or if for some reason the officer feels something about you is wrong. Don't worry a lot about that, but make sure the machine and storage devices don't have any material that is unlawful - they usually look out for sexually explicit material containing minors or anything that suggests the individual is involved in some illegal activity.

All the best.