+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eileenf, seniors - question about the "good old days"

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

Every once in a while I would see someone discussing the pre-2012 (or pre-2006) days, and saying that back then CIC never bothered to scrutinize applications that may have been 100 or so days short of strict physical presence, except perhaps where there was real reason to suspect fraud.

I am looking for the source of this information, official or otherwise. I recall reading something from a former CIC official, now on the staff of a law firm in Ottawa to that effect but cannot recall the particulars.

Any link to a document, news story, anything would be deeply appreciated.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
bambino said:
Every once in a while I would see someone discussing the pre-2012 (or pre-2006) days, and saying that back then CIC never bothered to scrutinize applications that may have been 100 or so days short of strict physical presence, except perhaps where there was real reason to suspect fraud.

I am looking for the source of this information, official or otherwise. I recall reading something from a former CIC official, now on the staff of a law firm in Ottawa to that effect but cannot recall the particulars.

Any link to a document, news story, anything would be deeply appreciated.
This long, long post is based on the assumption that the history you are interested in is largely that regarding grant citizenship applications and primarily relative to residency issues. For example, a big part of Bill C-24 is a continuing effort to address who is a Canadian by birth, which is an aspect of Canadian citizenship I have not followed much and while its history is quite interesting, in itself, this is an aspect not addressed in the discussion below.

I think I will break this up and do it in multiple posts.

Information at lawyer's websites, and some settlement services or community services websites, offers some context but generally tends not to be in depth. Several years ago there were a couple seminar papers and law review style articles covering some of the history, but frankly they too were not particularly comprehensive.

Beyond the primary sources of information, such as the Citizenship Act, the Citizenship Regulations, and the published Federal Court decisions, and CIC sources including operational manuals (although most CP manuals are no longer available online at CIC) and operational bulletins, in addition to the specific information provided by CIC relative to the forms and applications themselves, including the guides, there are actually very few secondary sources of information about the process of applying for Canadian citizenship . . . other than the extensive discussion found in forums like this one.

There are, for example, citizenship discussions in this forum dating back to 2006.

While for many years I was a reader here far more than a participant, I have been following the discussions here for nearly five years now. But I have been a far more active participant in another similar forum since before then (and was also active in its predecessor version prior to that, the current one dating back to only 2009). Among other forums.

For someone who has the time, there is a great deal of recent history to found in the back pages of these forums. Sure, it suffers from the flaws inherent to venues for anonymous posting. And even among those of us who diligently and exhaustively follow the issues, trying to be accurate, we make many errors (I have sometimes been led to revisit some old posts of mine from 2010 and 2011 and I cringe a bit seeing some of the mistakes I made).

Many of us have, over the years, provided extensive citation with links to primary sources of information.

There was also an extensive effort among a number of people to make ATI requests to CIC in the wake of OB 407 (2012, a major transition in citizenship application processing), and many of these were shared online, including some personal ones (the source of the only copy of the File Requirements Checklist was among these), and all of the non-personal ones can be obtained directly from CIC via a simple email request (almost all completed ATI requests are indexed and accessible to the public generally). So there were many internal CIC memos from 2012 and early 2013 available publicly, and which at various times were occasionally discussed quite in-depth in some forum discussions.

No where other than in the forums have I seen any significant compilation of this information. eileenf has a website which compiles as much of the relevant information as can probably be found anywhere . . . other than going through thousands of forum posts back over the years and reading the linked sources (many no longer available however).

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Good old days? general outline of last decade in citizenship app processing:

In the last decade there really have only been three major transitions in citizenship application processing.

You are currently watching the last one, the adoption and implementation of Bill C-24, which constitutes the single biggest change in grant citizenships in well over three decades.

The previous big transition was due to the adoption and implementation of OB 407 in April 2012; only parts of this OB have been released to the public through ATI requests. It implemented the triage criteria screening step at CPC Sydney, pursuant to which pre-test RQ is issued. It was a disaster. Citizenship application processing almost came to a standstill. The number of RQ'd cases increased dramatically (percentage of applicants issued RQ was up a 100%, that is it doubled, for several months in 2012, and in some months was even higher) while at the same time the local offices seemed ill-prepared to deal with them. Initially, for example, an applicant reporting any self-employment or unemployment, and who traveled abroad at all, was issued RQ. This transition dragged a huge percentage of those who applied in 2011 and 2012 into a mire which, for a time, seemed to offer no hope of resolution. This transition triggered many, many ATI requests, pursuant to which we were able to get a glimpse of some of what was going on behind-the-curtain. But CIC heavily redacted the more pertinent processing information, including extensive redacting of OB 407 itself. (Certain parts of OB 407, and its subsequent versions, are specifically "protected," as explicitly stated by Justice Mosley recently, referring to the FPAT (the File Preparation Analysis Template).)

Prior to that, the previous transition was less distinct, taking place over a period of time largely unannounced, without any direct Operational Bulletin. This was in the 2009 to 2011 period, a period when the routine case processing timeline was creeping up, getting longer and longer, when CIC was escalating its efforts to identify and interdict fraud, and it appears CIC was also attempting to discourage applicants perceived to be seeking a passport of convenience, or as one Federal Court justice phrased it back then, applicants applying-on-the-way-to-the-airport, and CIC was also (it appeared, eventually) to be pushing for a more strict application of the APP test. Indeed, perhaps the biggest part of that transition was the extent to which CIC was pushing for the strict application of the physical presence test.

One topic in another forum which might, indirectly, reflect this transition, is the Residency: tests, proof, practice, policy topic at the immigration.ca site. I say "indirectly" because as we were discussing those things then (I started that topic with a post in January 2011) we were not aware of the transition already taking place. By just a few months later it became apparent to us that CIC was pushing a more strict approach to applying the actual presence test for residency, but we still did not know much about to what extent. Up to then, the Federal Court decisions were dominated by shortfall cases, only an isolated care here and there involving an applicant claiming 1095+ days presence.

Because a lot of that discussion derived from actual cases as reported in the Federal Court, and forum reports from rejected applicants were scarce, we did not see the change taking place until well over a year after it began, more like two years (it may have even started as early as 2008). It was possible, however, to reconstruct a good deal about what happened after the fact.

As I noted, there were, actually, changes taking place in multiple respects at that time. Not only was CIC taking a more strict approach regarding actual physical presence, CIC was also ramping up its scrutiny of applicants declaring more than 1095 days residence.

In regards to the latter, the main thing that happened was CIC stumbled across a citizenship applicant from Montreal using an address and telephone number in Mississauga. He was using the Mississauga address because, according to the applicant, his consultant provided that address and number so that the application would be processed in the local office for Mississauga which, at the time, was reportedly processing applications two or three times faster than Montreal. CIC did some cross-checking, discovered that same address and telephone number had been used by several dozen other citizenship applicants (I believe CIC has long since implemented software to readily identify all other uses of the same address or phone number in CIC client-transactions). And upon further investigation, the total number using a very similar address (within the same largely non-residential area, many of the addresses used being office not residential addresses) was in the hundreds. This was the beginning of CIC unraveling multiple schemes being facilitated by a number of consultants, mostly unauthorized consultants. (As unsettling and problematic the discovery of such widespread fraud was, to date we have seen little evidence that it involved more than a few thousand individuals over the course of several years . . . Jason Kenney on occasion referred to 4,000 suspected fraud cases, a number never much confirmed . . . compared to the total number of citizenship applicants, which for a mere five year time frame totals a million or so. Nonetheless, this government eventually elected to implement a draconian program in 2012, OB 407, to interdict a few thousand fraudulent applicants which dramatically delayed processing for at least a quarter million qualified applicants who applied in 2011 and 2012.)

During this same period of time, anecdotal reports in the forums also reflected an increasing rate of RQ for applicants with significant ties to the U.S., or work-permits in the Middle-East. It eventually became apparent that CIC was targeting applicants it perceived to be passport shopping, seeking a passport of convenience. Thus, for example, applicants with extended absences while the application was pending were increasingly issued RQ, subjected to elevated scrutiny and extended delays (in some cases it seemed like CIC was deliberately delaying a decision in anticipation the applicant would remain abroad until no longer in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, which would then justify issuance of a Removal Order rendering the individual ineligible for a grant of citizenship even if they met the residency requirement for citizenship at the time they applied for citizenship).

Some might characterize all that as merely the precursor to the implementation of OB 407 in 2012.

But for those of us following citizenship applications, in 2007-2008 it seemed a routine processing timeline of 8 months was normal, up to 10 months, but by 2009 scores of applicants were reporting timelines longer than a year, and the timelines kept getting longer and longer.

2008 is as far back as I was following Canadian citizenship. Of course we had other resources back then, including the annual Citizenship Judges report which listed things like the number of applications made, number of new citizens, number of CJ hearings, number of applications denied, number of Mandamus actions filed and outcomes, appeals filed and outcomes, among other things. I think, best I can recall, the last of these was for 2009.

The operational manual CP 5 Residence, no longer available at the CIC site, specifically listed criteria for assessing residency for applicants with less than 1095 days APP. It also included a 2005 Operational Bulletin, as an appendix, which listed "reasons-to-question-residency," an earlier version of the triage criteria one might say.

Among the internal CIC memos from 2012 were some indicating that CIC's internal policy was that a referral for a CJ residency case hearing was mandatory in shortfall cases with less than 900 days APP, allowing for a paper review (sometimes called a "file review") in some shortfall cases, so long as the applicant's actual presence was > 900 days. (Paper review cases were, essentially, CIC approved cases, sent to the CJ for the formal, final approval.)

Despite that reference in the 2012 memos, it was already apparent at that time that the practical threshold was much higher than that. My take was that the mandatory threshold (900 days) was a remnant from prior policies and practices (see my discussion of some older case law below).

To what extent the more draconian measures began while Diane Finley was the CIC Minister I cannot say. But Jason Kenney definitely introduced a far more strict approach. And timelines went from creeping upwards to shooting way up. By the time OB 407 was implemented, the timeline for routine cases was already way over a year and for many RQ'd cases was beyond two and a half years. By the time Minister Alexander took the reins at CIC, things were in crisis mode, routine timelines had grown to two years, and a large number of RQ'd cases were approaching four years, many over four years.

In any event, you can walk through this history almost live by digging through the back pages of this and other forums. It is all there, along with a lot of distraction of course, a real lot of distraction. For example, apart from the frequent if not pervasive rants and whines, and accusations of overt malfeasance, in the summer of 2012 the forums were crowded with participants and posts asserting, based on authoritative sources no less many claimed (untruthfully), that all citizenship applicants were going to be issued RQ. The history is there but you would have to wade through all that, plus some, to dig it up.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
An addendum of sorts, for reference; a bit of case law:

I mentioned that cases up to 2011 were dominated by shortfall cases, but that by spring 2011 it was increasingly apparent CIC was trending toward a more strict application of the actual physical presence requirement. In retrospect it is apparent this trend started at least a year or two, perhaps three, before 2011.

Going back longer, a case that has been described by some as reflecting a beautiful people exception, there was the HERIBERT WALTHER SEIFFERT case, where the Applicant was short by 772 days, his wife by 823 days, the eldest son (Mark-Oliver) by 787 days, and the youngest son by 893 days . . . and the Federal Court ruled: "I find that each of the Applicants has met the residency requirements of s.5(1)(c) of the Act. As a result, in my opinion, each member of the Seiffert family is entitled to Canadian citizenship."

That was in 2005. The members of this family spent a remarkably little amount of time in Canada (none so much as half their time spent in Canada). Hard to imagine a Federal Court justice ruling that way in the last four or five years.

That said, even in 2011 there was the ALEXANDER DAVID CARDIN case, in which there was "no dispute about the fact that Mr. Cardin was away from Canada for 688 days in the four year period immediately prior to the filing of his application," and yet the Federal Court granted Cardin's appeal.

In the meantime, in 2011, while Justices Rennie and Snider were issuing decisions more or less telegraphing to CIC and CJs that it was OK to apply the strict 1095 days APP test across-the-board, with no consideration given to applying a qualitative test (a small number of other Justices, such as Justice Barnes, disagreed) fairly emphatically stating that was indeed the proper test to be applied, the underlying facts in the cases being appealed to the Federal Court that year were, I think, telling.

The following are all cases in which the applicant had been denied approval by a Citizenship Judge applying the strict physical presence test, and these individuals thought they had a strong enough case to warrant pursuing an appeal:

Mao Ye and MCI presence a mere 117 days (978 days short)

Sinanan and MCI presence a mere 584 days (short 511 days)

Luftar HYSA physically present for only 173 days, short 922 days

Fernando Martinez-Caro 689 days of presence, 406 days short

ANNE MARIE MURPHY 701 days presence

The mere fact these individuals thought it was worth appealing, even though they were all more than a year short, all of them present in Canada for less than two years, is a fairly salient indication about what immigrants and lawyers were expecting then.

There were still decisions, in 2011, like professor Ocla's case, where he had 996 days presence, was denied by the CJ but the appeal allowed by Justice Barnes.

In contrast, in the last two years, with only sporadic exceptions, the Federal Court decisions usually involve applicants claiming >1095 days APP and CIC and CJs being skeptical of the applicant's claims.

It may be a stretch, but my sense is that in recent years lawyers have told shortfall applicants, who have been denied approval, that prospects for success in an appeal are too minimal to warrant spending the money or making the effort to appeal. And, perhaps just a guess but my sense is that the number of shortfall applicants has decreased dramatically in the last . . . well, probably no longer ago than when Jason Kenney replaced Diane Finley at CIC.

More recent case law:

A bit of in-depth reporting about recent case law further illustrates the overall trend in the last several years, perhaps even putting an exclamation mark on how much tougher this government has gotten in citizenship cases. A comparison of 2014 and more recent cases with, for example, not only those like the Mao Ye and MCI case, where the applicant was present in Canada a mere 117 days (an unsuccessful appeal which, in retrospect at least, was totally predictable), but with the successful appeals in professor Ocla's case (three months plus short of 1095 days) and the ALEXANDER DAVID CARDIN case, in which Cardin was away from Canada for 688 days in the four year period immediately prior to the filing of his application, in contrast to more recent decisions.

In this regard, the 2011 rulings in which Justices Rennie and Snider decisively approved, as the "correct" test for residency, the APP test, have been cited extensively for that very proposition. Justice Rennie's decision in the Martiez-Caro case, for example, in which Justice Rennie went to great lengths to justify and explain (despite three decades of case law otherwise) his ruling that "residency means physical presence," has been cited in other citizenship cases more than two dozen times in the last three years.

Bringing the historical context to the present, while not a residency case, the recent decision in the TSERING GYATSO case, which seems at the least a bit harsh to me, particularly illustrates that this government is taking a very tough approach to granting citizenship. This is a failed language case. There is a discretionary exception available for individuals who otherwise are settled in Canada who lack the intellectual capacity to learn a second language. In this case, an individual with a very difficult background, NO formal education (he had lived a nomadic lifestyle in Tibet until his 30s), a now fifty-year old refugee who has been living in Canada since 2002, and an individual with clearly limited learning abilities, who had applied for citizenship four times, who submitted the requisite medical and psychological opinions from qualified professionals regarding his limited learning abilities, was ultimately denied a discretionary waiver of the language requirement because, despite his learning disabilities, he tried and was able to actually pass the knowledge test using an interpreter . . . and this was deemed conclusiveness enough evidence that he could learn a second language to overcome all the previous efforts to do so which failed and the documented evidence submitted by qualified professionals regarding his limited learning abilities. It was as if he was being punished for trying.

Illustrative of the current approach to residency issues, the companion cases of SARITHA SUSAN THOMAS and THOMAS THOMAS VIJAYAN, each decided by Justice Mosley, also reflect the extent to which this government is a lot tougher now than it was five years ago and before.

The THOMAS case:

In the THOMAS case, the CJ granted approval and CIC appealed. The timeline is interesting and perplexing. The CJ hearing was in October 2013. At that time (and up to August 1, 2014), the law allowed the CJ sixty days to make a decision. But in this case the CJ did not issue a decision until June 30, 2014, a full eight months after the hearing. No explanation for this.

The CJ found the applicant "very credible," and that she had "provided sufficient evidence of her physical presence," and approved the application. CIC appealed.

CIC focused on an alleged lack of evidence to document the applicant's presence for a three-four month period of time in 2008, a period of time it should be noted during which the applicant herself declared extended absences (mostly to the U.S.), and thus not amounting to that large a discrepancy even assuming CIC's suspicions.

What is interesting about this case is just the fact that CIC appealed. The alleged potentially additional absence occurred early in the relevant time period, and again could not have reduced the applicant's total presence by much, in contrast to the applicant having well-documented being settled in and living in Canada since that time (among the evidence, 55 claims for OHIP use . . . that's five or six times what I, an elderly person, have had in the six years I have had OHIP), her and her children living in a home they own in Oakville (a very expensive home).

Among the problems CIC had with her application, was the lack of stamps in her passport reflecting re-entry to Canada (two stamps for six times re-entering Canada). Huh? I re-entered Canada at least two dozen times while I was a PR and never showed my passport to Canadian officers at the border even once, always presenting my PR card, never asked to show a passport. This is typical for PRs with status in the U.S. driving into Canada from the U.S.

The real issue (my opinion) CIC had with this applicant was suspicions about her husband, who had more absences from Canada.

The THOMAS THOMAS VIJAYAN case:

Thomas Vigayan, the husband of Mrs. Thomas, attended a CJ hearing the same day, but a separate hearing, as Mrs. Thomas. The CJ also approved his case. CIC also appealed his case. Justice Mosely set aside the CJ's approval.

This is technically a review of a CJ's decision to apply the Koo criteria even though the applicant claimed APP > 1095 days. That said, Justice Mosely essentially found, by his calculations, that the applicant had only 1094 or 1093 days APP, possibly fewer, and that the CJ's conclusion the applicant had at least 1095 days APP undermined the CJ's application of the Koo criteria.

There is no doubt this applicant traveled frequently. He had continuing business interests in the ME and he is a well-known wildlife photographer who frequently travels on assignment. He asserted, nonetheless, having had 1,154 days APP in the relevant time (in an earlier declaration of travel he claimed fewer absences, adding up to 24 more days APP). The vast majority of his travels were for a week or less.

The CJ's reasons were actually quite detailed and comprehensive. Most of CIC's concerns were rooted in factual circumstances which, indeed, might raise questions, that is, which would be reasons to question residency. But there is a difference between having questions about residency and making a factual determination based on the evidence.

Ultimately there was evidence to show that this individual was outside Canada more than he had declared. Given the nature, duration, and frequency of his travels, however, it was not unreasonable for the CJ to conclude that despite the discrepancies, the applicant's accounting of the facts was credible.

In particular, the CJ found: "Applicant was credible in his testimony regarding his absences from Canada."

(While not explicitly stated, this thus implies a finding that, relative to the discrepancies, the applicant did not willfully make material misrepresentations.)

Here is where the case gets interesting:

The CJ explicitly concluded that despite the undeclared trips abroad, those probably only added up to an additional 60 days of absence, which would NOT reduce the applicant's presence to a level resulting in a shortfall.

In particular, the CJ "found that there was no shortfall." (paragraphs 39 and 57)

In contrast, Justice Mosely found, as a matter of fact, that there was shortfall (by at least a whole day or two):

"The respondent had a shortfall in his physical presence in Canada but failed to declare it." (paragraph 51)

In particular, Justice Mosely revisited the CJ's math, calculating to the day, and concluded that allowing the undeclared absences totaled 60 days, the applicant's total APP would be 1094 days. One day short. (paragraph 57) And in another part of the decision, concludes it was 1093 days APP. Two days short. (paragraph 84)

But the CJ did not rely on the APP test. The CJ applied the Koo criteria, which Justice Mosely describes as a "very cursory" analysis under Koo (even though the CJ addressed each and every item of inquiry listed in Koo, which is far, far more than CJs had done in the much older cases where the Koo criteria were applied).

But here's why I find the analysis of the facts interesting: Given the frequency of the applicant's travels, it is obvious that all of the so-called undeclared trips had to have been book-ended by other trips, indicating a fairly limited window in time, a window indicating the maximum amount of time the applicant could have been abroad, which was undoubtedly not lengthy but more in the vein of what the CJ concluded, trips for an average duration of five days.

Frequent travel abroad may ordinarily indicate an individual with ties abroad contrary to having centralized one's life in Canada. But this frequency of travel (averaging significantly more than a trip per month), most of which was clearly for temporary purposes, is actually strong evidence of frequently being in Canada and leaving Canada only for brief, temporary periods . . . after all, he was obviously, unquestionably in Canada for some period of time following each entry.

What I am saying is that sure, frequent travel, and undeclared travel are a reason to question the extent to which a person was actually in Canada. But when you engage in that questioning, and look at the pattern of travel for this individual, it adds up to a life being lived in Canada and his being in Canada for nearly if not more than the 1095 day APP test, sufficiently to render the CJ's decision reasonable, even if one disagrees with that conclusion.

And here's why I find the ultimate conclusions interesting:

This is obviously an individual whose family is well-settled in Canada (and soon to be, if not already, Canadian citizens), an individual with a very substantial investment in living in Canada (including owning a home worth many millions of dollars), who was clearly in Canada at least very close to meeting the APP test, and whose occupation clearly involves traveling on short term assignments abroad (not long term relocations abroad), and yet both CIC and the Federal Court justice went to rather extensive lengths to justify denying the grant of citizenship despite the clearly judicious exercise of decision-making in favour of citizenship by the very person charged, under the law, with making that decision, the Citizenship Judge.

Compare these cases, especially the latter one above, with the HERIBERT WALTHER SEIFFERT case (2005), or the 2011 cases for ALEXANDER DAVID CARDIN and professor Ocla.

And keep in mind that in all these cases, from the HERIBERT WALTHER SEIFFERT case in 2005, right up to the THOMAS THOMAS VIJAYAN case, the applicable law, the governing statutory provision, has not changed, not in the slightest.

It is remarkable, truly remarkable, how much the application of the law has changed when the law itself has not. Most people probably shrug, if not yawn. But this is the sort of thing that can keep a jurist up nights.

In any event, the law governing residency is about to change, dramatically so, the changes already adopted into law but not yet in force.