+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EI - when will one be eligible to receive

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Hi Friends, need advise on Employment Insurance. My wife is working for the last 3 months and she is a PR. Now there is a situation where she needs to leave the job especially to take care of our 2 yr old baby since due to Covid 19 situation we can’t put her in day care etc... once she leaves the job, is she eligible to claim EI, CERB etc, if so please advise the process. Many many thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
CERB was phased out. You don’t claim EI if you leave a job voluntarily. EI is if she loses her job due to Covid. Has your wife talked to her employer about accommodations (Working from home, working other shifts when you are available to care for the baby etc.) as this is the first step. Depending on the province, your wife may have her job protected if she has to take leave (unpaid) to take care of your child. Why can’t you put your child in care? Is it a choice or did your child loose the space? Are you caring for a critically ill baby? If so you may be eligible for caregiver benefits.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi Friends, need advise on Employment Insurance. My wife is working for the last 3 months and she is a PR. Now there is a situation where she needs to leave the job especially to take care of our 2 yr old baby since due to Covid 19 situation we can’t put her in day care etc... once she leaves the job, is she eligible to claim EI, CERB etc, if so please advise the process. Many many thanks!
You MAY be eligible for the CRSB, but you haven’t given enough information on your situation. Just saying you can’t put your child into daycare because of Covid isn’t enough
Plus there’s income qualifications you must meet
EI = not eligible if you quit your job
CERB= phased out.
CRB= not eligible if you quit your job
There’s EI caregiver benefits but you must NOT quit your job
Now when you apply, there will be a pop up that wants additional information regarding your situation. It’s mandatory
FYI, CRSB is for a finite period of time . If you’re eligible and you use up all your allotted benefits , you’ll be without any income support.
So no job, no benefits.
And if you can’t find a job etc, you’ll be downloaded to the province for any further income support aka welfare
Choose wisely

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You MAY be eligible for the CRSB, but you haven’t given enough information on your situation. Just saying you can’t put your child into daycare because of Covid isn’t enough
CERB= phased out.
Now when you apply, there will be a pop up that wants additional information regarding your situation. It’s mandatory
FYI, CRSB is for a finite period of time . If you’re eligible and you use up all your allotted benefits , you’ll be without any income support.
So no job, no benefits.
And if you can’t find a job etc, you’ll be downloaded to the province for any further income support aka welfare
Choose wisely
Good points. Also not sure how she would be eligible for CRSB as it is for people unable to work because they are sick or who have to self isolate, or have underlying health conditions.

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
CERB= phased out.
So no job, no benefits.
Choose wisely
Thanks for the detailed response. So I will check for CRCB. Actually the intention is to continue the work, but since 2 weeks our 2 year old kid is not well and it is clear that she needs moms care for sure. For the last 3 months somehow I and my elder daughter who is 9 years old who is at home schooling took care of the little one, but now since my workload at office is increase I could not pay much attention.

So since to take care of little kid as my wife has to leave the job, I am checking whether are there any options to avail benefit...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Also guys could you please shed more light on this point “There is EI caregiver benefits but you must NOT quit your job”
If you quit your job you are not eligible for any benefits. Benefits are a temporary measure as you usually need to show you are available to work. The caregiver benefit is a maximum $450 per week for a set up period of time. You say your child is not well so you need to have doctor’s notes and medical documentation that she is ill and it is related to Covid. You need to see if she is eligible because there are many conditionns like,
  • Unable to work for at least 50% of your normally scheduled work within a given week because you’re caring for a family member
  • Must be caring for your child under 12 years old or a family member who needs supervised care due to one of the following reasons:
    • Their school, daycare, day program, or care facility is closed due to COVID-19
    • Their regular care services is not available for reasons related to the COVID-19
    • The person under your care must have one of the following:
      • Is sick with COVID-19 or has symptons
      • At high risk of health complications if they get COVID-19
      • Is self-isolating due to COVID-19