+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EI can effect badly in citizenship application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not entirely true.. it depends with the particular school district and with the teacher as an individual

They can decide to have a portion of their no weekly wage put aside to pay them over the summer holiday but that is entirely a personal choice... those who choose to get paid their full salary then go on EI regular benefits.

And some school districts have repetitive 10 month contracts for teachers making eligible for EI regular benefits during the non teaching period till the beginning of the next school year when the new contract for the year is signed...
Also makes them ineligible for extended healthcare benefits, etc during the summer. Guess in my province you are only on contract if you don't have a permanent teaching position.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Also makes them ineligible for extended healthcare benefits, etc during the summer. Guess in my province you are only on contract if you don't have a permanent teaching position.
The way the education system is funded and structured over the province is so varied and complex...
A permanent teaching position is only permanent if student needs and funding remains the same...
I have seen cases were teachers are permanent but the school funding is affected by enrolment and course uptake making them permanent but surplus to requirements.....

So permanent is only permanent enrolment figures and funding permitting.....

Unfortunately or fortunately this is not the forum to get into that and it does digress from what the OP had asked.... lol

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
I am a Canadian PR. I applied for citizenship in October 2021, and will be relocating to the US to live with my husband once my CR1 visa (colloquially greencard) is approved. I will likely move in Feb 2021.

I am eligible for EI until I find a job in the US. Would claiming this EI affect my citizenship application @DavEd @dpenabill