+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EI can effect badly in citizenship application?

Need Canadian Pr

Jan 25, 2015
Hi I applied citizenship in February
Just got only AOR not IP yet

My question if I go to EI will it effect negative way in my citizenship application

Will be difficult when I will have interview after test with officer

Please advise me senior and all members

Thanks

6242 cook

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013

My question if I go to EI will it effect negative way in my citizenship application

Thanks

Application can be refused or delay .

That is what I know .

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013

Thanks
This is not like getting a visa or PR. I don't see how EI can affect your citizenship application by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, because of my government job and my involvement in the community, I know several people who became citizens while on welfare. As long you filled out the form truthfully there is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015

Thanks
If you were physically present in Canada for 3 out of 5 years and filed your taxes as well then dont worry ....

Thanks
No ... it has no effect at all on your citizenship.

Reactions: vasvas and UVIR

Quink

Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2015 (EP and UCI)
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015 (ECAS updated 20-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
IP update 26-8-2015, DM 14-9-2015, READY FOR VISA EMAIL 21-9-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015 (PR Card received 13-01-2016)
Are you engaging in fraud or deception in relation to your EI payments? If not, then what possible reason could it matter? If it comes up in the interview, you answer the question. And since you (I assume) are on EI for a valid and legitimate reason, you're all good.

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
I'm not sure Employment Insurance can affect Citizenship application somehow.
Unlike other income assistance EI benefits are paid to a person who has contributed through his previous employment. In other words regular EI benefits are not free money. Not anyone who applies gets EI.
In short, no need to worry , EI will not affect your citizenship application. My only advice is strive to get a job!

SideshowLoki

Star Member
Apr 10, 2018
London, ON
LANDED..........
11-27-2007
One of the main tenants of being a citizen is to work hard at finding work. As long as you're upholding that, you should be fine. Like someone else touched on, if you're openly defrauding the government, you bet your ass you will run into problems on your citizenship application.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
When the OP sent in the application, they were not on EI. The question is if going on EI will affect the application currently in progress. As far as I'm aware, nothing will come up until the interview when it's possible (likely, really) that the officer asks questions confirming your employment. At that time, the OP can explain their circumstances and briefly state what efforts they are taking to find work in their field. I don't think it's going to be an issue besides having to answer some questions about it.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
When the OP sent in the application, they were not on EI. The question is if going on EI will affect the application currently in progress. As far as I'm aware, nothing will come up until the interview when it's possible (likely, really) that the officer asks questions confirming your employment. At that time, the OP can explain their circumstances and briefly state what efforts they are taking to find work in their field. I don't think it's going to be an issue besides having to answer some questions about it.
Being on EI does NOT in any way affect your citizenship application...

My brother works for a school district and schools close end of June and open mid September, during that time all teachers and people who work for schools go on EI regular benefits during this period.

That never came up during his citizenship application so I believe it is a non issue

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012

My brother works for a school district and schools close end of June and open mid September, during that time all teachers and people who work for schools go on EI regular benefits during this period.

That never came up during his citizenship application so I believe it is a non issue
I was asked to confirm my current employment during my interview. As anything can come up in the interview, OP should be prepared to answer questions about it is all my point was.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

That's not completely true. Teacher's salaries are usually prorated so they are paid all year.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
That's not completely true. Teacher's salaries are usually prorated so they are paid all year.
Not entirely true.. it depends with the particular school district and with the teacher as an individual

They can decide to have a portion of their no weekly wage put aside to pay them over the summer holiday but that is entirely a personal choice... those who choose to get paid their full salary then go on EI regular benefits.

And some school districts have repetitive 10 month contracts for teachers making eligible for EI regular benefits during the non teaching period till the beginning of the next school year when the new contract for the year is signed...