+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effects of Rejected Application on Future Applications

eric44

Aug 8, 2019
Hello, currently I have a conjugal partner application that was submitted in June 2019 that is pending review. After hearing opinions on this thread it appears as if it is very likely that this application will be rejected.

My partner and I are planning on getting married in January/February 2020. Until we are married we cannot submit a spousal sponsorship application. Our thoughts were there is no harm to wait until December 2019 for a decision to be made, or withdraw the application then before we get married (if there is a chance the current application will be approved).

My question is, are there any negative repercussions associated with a Conjugal Partner application being rejected towards a future spousal partnership application? Secondly, if there is a conjugal partner application in the process in January 2020 will my partner have any difficulties visiting Canada on her eTA?

Any help, or sharing of previous experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
Seeing as your partner is from a country that allows them to get an eTA, you're 100% looking at rejection for conjugal partnership. I honestly think you're better off withdrawing your application now. As for getting the eTA, there shouldn't be any problem there. My husband came and visited me from the UK while our application was processing and we had no issues.

eric44

Aug 8, 2019
Seeing as your partner is from a country that allows them to get an eTA, you're 100% looking at rejection for conjugal partnership. I honestly think you're better off withdrawing your application now. As for getting the eTA, there shouldn't be any problem there. My husband came and visited me from the UK while our application was processing and we had no issues.
Thank you very much for the response. Did you apply for the inland or outland application for your husband?

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
Thank you very much for the response. Did you apply for the inland or outland application for your husband?
We did an outland application so he could continue working right up until he moves over (which should be soon!). Of course the downside was that being apart sucks :p If you want to do an inland application, I believe that you can get 6 months of visitor status on an eTA, and for any time beyond that you'll have to apply for an extension. You can also apply for a work permit with an inland application, but just note that it'll take several months before that comes through, so your partner will be unable to work until then. For us, it wasn't financially feasible to do that (hence the outland application), but if you can manage that then you have some options available to you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, currently I have a conjugal partner application that was submitted in June 2019 that is pending review. After hearing opinions on this thread it appears as if it is very likely that this application will be rejected.

My partner and I are planning on getting married in January/February 2020. Until we are married we cannot submit a spousal sponsorship application. Our thoughts were there is no harm to wait until December 2019 for a decision to be made, or withdraw the application then before we get married (if there is a chance the current application will be approved).

My question is, are there any negative repercussions associated with a Conjugal Partner application being rejected towards a future spousal partnership application? Secondly, if there is a conjugal partner application in the process in January 2020 will my partner have any difficulties visiting Canada on her eTA?

Any help, or sharing of previous experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
No negative repercussions.

However, withdraw now before they start processing and you will get a full refund, less the $75 fee. If you wait, you'll lose the $475 fee as well.

Reactions: phaeo

eric44

Aug 8, 2019
We did an outland application so he could continue working right up until he moves over (which should be soon!). Of course the downside was that being apart sucks :p If you want to do an inland application, I believe that you can get 6 months of visitor status on an eTA, and for any time beyond that you'll have to apply for an extension. You can also apply for a work permit with an inland application, but just note that it'll take several months before that comes through, so your partner will be unable to work until then. For us, it wasn't financially feasible to do that (hence the outland application), but if you can manage that then you have some options available to you.
Thanks again for the advice and good luck with your application! May I ask when you submitted?

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
Thanks again for the advice and good luck with your application! May I ask when you submitted?
Thanks, you too! We submitted in March, and husband's landing papers are in the post on the way to him now :) So he'll be moving out next month!

eric44

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks, you too! We submitted in March, and husband's landing papers are in the post on the way to him now :) So he'll be moving out next month!
Fantastic news! Thanks for your advice and help and all the best to you both.

Reactions: phaeo