AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
So I am glad to be educated that UK does use PRE-PR days for UK citizenship. But it doesn't change the fact that you must reside in UK for at least 5 years of Pre-Pr days towards citizenship.

Canada allows you under the old rule 2 years of Pre-PR days.

Hmmmmm. 2 years of Pre-PR compare to 5 years UK version.

Sure let's take the UK version. Make everyone wait 5 years minimum as a temporary status. Plus processing time to get PR status. Then wait one year as PR to qualify for citizenship. Make everyone wait at least 6+ years to qualify.

Yeah that will make them happy that they have to wait 6 years plus instead of Canada 4 year. Please someone help me decide which is better. 6 year wait (with pre-Pr days) or 4 year wait (no Pre-PR days). Oh my! Tough choice. Decisions decisions.

staralihaider

VIP Member
Jun 19, 2010
Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act: A before and after view of the key changes to the Citizenship Act

This list highlights changes to the Citizenship Act. Applicants should consult the CIC website and instructions on the application forms and guide for more detailed information on these changes.

Before

Residence for three out of four years (1,095 days)

After

Requires physical presence in Canada for four years (1,460 days) out of the six years immediately before the date of application (in effect June 11, 2015)

Before

No requirement that residents be physically present

After

Requires 183 days minimum of physical presence in Canada during each of the four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application (in effect June 11, 2015)

Before

Time as a non-permanent resident (non-PR) may be counted toward residence for citizenship

After

Eliminates use of time spent in Canada as a non-permanent resident (non-PR) for most applicants (in effect June 11, 2015)

Before

No “intent to reside” provision

After

Introduces “intent to reside” provision (in effect June 11, 2015)

Before

Adult applicants aged 18–54 must meet language requirements and pass knowledge test.

After

Legislation now requires applicants aged 14–64 to meet language requirements and pass knowledge test (in effect June 11, 2015)

Before

Most “Lost Canadians” had their citizenship restored in 2009, but small number remained ineligible for citizenship

After

Extends citizenship to “Lost Canadians” born before 1947 as well as their 1st generation children born abroad (in effect June 11, 2015)

Before

Bars to citizenship for people with domestic criminal charges and convictions

After

Expansion of criminal prohibitions to bar applicants for crimes committed abroad. (in effect June 11, 2015)

Before

Consultants not required to be registered or regulated in order to represent individuals in citizenship mattersFew tools to deter fraud and ensure program integrityFines and penalties for fraud are a maximum of $1,000 and/or one year in prison

After

Clearly defines who is authorized to provide representation or advice in a consultant capacity on citizenship matters and receive consideration (i.e. compensation)newly-designated Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council is the new regulatory body for citizenship consultantsGives the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada the authority to refuse an application for recognized status as a consultant if applicant commits fraud. Fines and penalties for fraud are up to a maximum $100,000 and/or up to five years in prison (in effect June 11, 2015)New offences and penalties will be implemented for a person who counsels known misrepresentation or represents or advises a citizenship applicant and are unauthorized to do so (in effect June 11, 2015)

Before

Governor in Council (GIC) final decision maker for citizenship revocation

After

Gives Minister of Citizenship and Immigration authority to decide on most revocation casesComplex revocation cases such as war crimes, crimes against humanity, security, other human or international rights violations, and organized criminality decided by the Federal Court (in effect May 28, 2015)

Before

Limited authority to define what constitutes a complete application

After

Establishes authority to define what constitutes a complete application and what evidence applicants must provide (in effect since August 2014)

Before

Citizenship grant is a three-step decision-making process

After

Changes citizenship grant to a single-step process for most applications that reduces duplication and improves processing times (in effect since August 2014)

Before

No requirement to file Canadian income taxes to be eligible for a grant of citizenship

After

Requires adult applicants to file Canadian income taxes, if required under the Income Tax Act, to be eligible for citizenship (in effect June 11, 2015)

Before

No authority to revoke citizenship for grounds beyond fraud and misrepresentation

After

Authority to revoke Canadian citizenship from dual citizens who served as members of an armed force of a country or an organized armed group engaged in armed conflict with Canada (in effect May 28, 2015)Authority to revoke Canadian citizenship from dual citizens who are convicted of terrorism, high treason, treason, or spying offences, depending on the sentence received (in effect May 28, 2015)Authority to deny Canadian citizenship to permanent residents who served as members of an armed force of a country or an organized armed group engaged in armed conflict with Canada or who are convicted of terrorism, high treason, treason, or spying offences, depending on the sentence received (in effect June 11, 2015)

Before

Misrepresentation on applications could only be pursued through the laying of charges by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

After

Applicants can be refused for misrepresenting or withholding material facts on applications and are subsequently barred from being granted citizenship for five years (in effect May 28, 2015)

Before

No fast-track mechanism for citizenship for members of the military to honour their service to the Canadian Armed Forces

After

Creates a fast-track mechanism for citizenship for individuals serving or on exchange with the Canadian Armed Forces to honour their service to Canada (in effect since June 2014)

valigap31

Mar 8, 2015
polara69 said:
Again, not true. Foreigners with no direct blood ties to Switzerland through either birth or marriage must live in the country for at least ten years (reduced from 12 years by a new law passed in June 2014) before they can apply for citizenship. (Years spent in the country between age ten and 20 count double). The person must be well integrated, familiar with customs and traditions, law abiding, and pose no threat to internal or external security.

The State Secretariat for Migration will then “green light” an applicant's request to begin the naturalisation process but that does not mean citizenship is certain. Rather, cantons and municipalities have their own requirements that must be met. One canton, for example, might require applicants to live for two years in the region while another might require a decade. Swiss citizenship is only acquired by those applicants who, after obtaining the federal naturalisation permit, have also been naturalised by their communities and cantons. As a rule, there is no legally protected right to being naturalised by a community and a canton.

By the way, I am Swiss born..As Screech said, this citizenship is EARNED the hard way.
+1

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
MUFC said:
Minimum of 5 years physical presence in Canada the day before the application is completed and signed.
Ok, how about you applying when you complete 5 years, and all of us will apply when we complete the 4. :).

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:
Ok, how about you applying when you complete 5 years, and all of us will apply when we complete the 4. :).
This is what I'm talking about. 4 years is just too short.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
What most people seem to conveniently forget is the fact that, not everybody started living in Canada as a PR. I've known several people who were under work visa for 3, 4 or even 5 yeas before they were granted Pr status.

I've known yet more people who were students for 4 or 5 years, then OWP for two years before becoming PRs. For these people, the path for citizenship is close to a decade,and if Canada had adopted the UK or Australian model, they would have been citizens 3, 4 or even 5 years earlier.

Tough luck, but it needs to be acknowledged that the current path for Canadian citizenship is now no longer any easier than other developed countries. In some aspects, and for some types of immigrants , it'd even take longer (high skilled workers and Canadian University graduates).

Let jt be known though, that it was never my intention to complain, but simply to state the face and clear up misunderstanding regarding the pre PR issues, and that several popular destinations for immigrants do share the opinion that pre PR time should count towards fulfilling citizenship requirements.

Again, despite only being a PR, I feel that Canada too is my country, and I intend to stay here for the rest of my life (hence, the intent to reside requirement does not really bother me too much). I wouldn't trade it for UK, Australia, Finland, or even the US.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My classical example of an immigrant is the one who is PR from day one, because the status has no expiry = Permanent.

Everyone else are Temporary residents with short term expiry valid visas.

I'm also supporter of the idea that the time as a temporary resident should NOT be counted for citizenship.

People who were temporary residents in my country also have difficulties to obtain Finnish citizenship.

danyboy

Star Member
May 17, 2013
mount lebanon
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
8-2013
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Interview........
4-2013
hello my friends

i have a question regarding the law bill c24.
they didnt mention anything about PR renewel.
so is it still we have to stay 2 out of 5 years (or is it now out of 6) to be eligible to renew the PR.

thank you, i appreciate your help.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
danyboy said:
hello my friends

i have a question regarding the law bill c24.
they didnt mention anything about PR renewel.
so is it still we have to stay 2 out of 5 years (or is it now out of 6) to be eligible to renew the PR.

thank you, i appreciate your help.
For PR renewal is still the same rule 2 out of 5 years.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have separately posted a collection of cites and links to the various Orders recently made by the Governor in Council, and included cites and links to the various related primary sources, such as the Citizenship Act and the Citizenship Regulations.

dpenabill said:
Coming into Force Orders: Implementation of SCCA references with links:
. . .
I thought it might be worthwhile to post this separate topic citing and linking these critical Orders, as well as organizing, citing, and linking other related key sources, to in effect collect the various primary sources (many official, all at least an authoritative source) regarding the adoption and implementation of these profound changes. Note, with the exception of the PDIs linked below, these are not CIC sources. CIC's online pages are NOT official sources, and in most contexts not even authoritative, but rather are specifically informational.
. . .
This was to more or less collect in one place citations and links for the numerous official and authoritative sources of what the new law is and how it is applied, including related Program Delivery Instructions.

sevanb

Aug 5, 2012
I came to Canada in 2007 ( came as a student )
I made refugee claim in 2009
Became a refugee in 2011
Apply for Permanent Resident Status in 2012
Became a Permanent Resident in 2014

Let me tell you guys something ok ???
I CANNOT GET A PASSPORT FROM MY HOME COUNTRY. BECAUSE I AM REFUGEE IN CANADA
I got Travel Document in Canada. With this Document every country you want to visit, you have to apply for a visa. Last year i applied for a visa to go to Morocco. They rejected me.
Can you guys believe that i live in Canada. Business Owner. Tax Payer. And Morocco Rejected me. If i want to go somewhere else. I have to apply for a visa again. If Morocco rejects people from Canada. Who is going to approve ? Give me a break.

Now; with this new law, i have to wait until 2018 to apply for Citizenship. Who knows how long the process is going to take and i will become a citizen and get my canadian passport. Than i will be threated as a human being !!!!!!! Please do not tell me it is going to be fast. No one knows yet.

I came to Canada and became refugee. Thank you so much. But that doesnt mean that i am not going to able to go anywhere else even for vacation. Even to see my family somewhere else other than Canada.

This law is ridiculous because it is effecting people who got their PR status before the this law. It is so against the Human Rights. In the long run i am sure people get their revenge from this government.

Husky9

Dec 15, 2012
sevanb said:
I came to Canada in 2007 ( came as a student )
I made refugee claim in 2009
Became a refugee in 2011
Apply for Permanent Resident Status in 2012
Became a Permanent Resident in 2014

Let me tell you guys something ok ???
I CANNOT GET A PASSPORT FROM MY HOME COUNTRY. BECAUSE I AM REFUGEE IN CANADA
I got Travel Document in Canada. With this Document every country you want to visit, you have to apply for a visa. Last year i applied for a visa to go to Morocco. They rejected me.
Can you guys believe that i live in Canada. Business Owner. Tax Payer. And Morocco Rejected me. If i want to go somewhere else. I have to apply for a visa again. If Morocco rejects people from Canada. Who is going to approve ? Give me a break.

Now; with this new law, i have to wait until 2018 to apply for Citizenship. Who knows how long the process is going to take and i will become a citizen and get my canadian passport. Than i will be threated as a human being !!!!!!! Please do not tell me it is going to be fast. No one knows yet.

I came to Canada and became refugee. Thank you so much. But that doesnt mean that i am not going to able to go anywhere else even for vacation. Even to see my family somewhere else other than Canada.

This law is ridiculous because it is effecting people who got their PR status before the this law. It is so against the Human Rights. In the long run i am sure people get their revenge from this government.
We are in the same boat. It so sad to be a refugee and then you have to wait a long time to get a new citizenship. For me, a citizenship is not just a passport, citizenship is new life and new beginning.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
By the way I'm feeling a little bit sorry for all those PR who trusted on the consistent information from the call centre clerks that for long time ago the confirmed date was June 19th.

For the very same reason I was trying to give to the people warning that the actual date will be completely different.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
MUFC said:
By the way I'm feeling a little bit sorry for all those PR who trusted on the consistent information from the call centre clerks that for long time ago the confirmed date was June 19th.

For the very same reason I was trying to give to the people warning that the actual date will be completely different.
I recall the warning you made, repeatedly. Insisting that the date would not be before July 1st and there would be plenty of advance notice. In conjunction with that you warned against applying with minimal buffer and called those who were rushing to apply in JUNE, soon after meeting the actual physical presence test threshold, "paranoid".

How many were following such advice, were building a buffer so to say, and after leaving their computers to enjoy the weekend beginning Friday June 6th, and did not get the news of what had happened until they were back at the computer Monday, June 8th, too late to put together the application package in time to ship it to CPC-Sydney so that it would arrive by Wednesday June 10? Note: many who did rush at the last moment to ship in time were still cut off because the couriers did not deliver on time.

Why make this point? Simple: definitive conclusions not based on official or authoritative sources are NOT trustworthy.

This is a prime example.

In any event, for the record:

MUFC said:
. . . From my perspective I 'm convinced that the actual cut off date will not be before June 30th and I have already involved myself in the opportunity to make some extra money, because here I have invested a good portion of time.

It's very similar to what I'm doing every day as a trader. So it was a great chance that I managed to set a real bet based on my skills by reading between the lines for this market called the actual cut off date.
MUFC said:
More over there is also notice in advance which will not be in the last moment.

MUFC said:
. . . Don't worry there will be a final notice before the actual cut off date. It will not happen suddenly and I'm sure that the actual cut off date will NOT be in June.