20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
staralihaider said:
If Election will be on 19 Oct 2015. Then cut off date can be delay.
Why would the cutoff be delayed if the election is held in October. The expected cutoff is around June/July. I can understand the delay if the cutoff was expected around October. But june/july timeframe has nothing to do with October.

The only thing that can be affected by election is when an election is called, current bills in parliament not signed and given royal ascent will become void and dead in the water. New introduction of bills must be made to revive it and go through the whole procedural process again from the beginning after is government readjourned after the election.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
At the risk of wandering further astray of the topic:

ronaldoyaronaldo said:
dpenabill
I am curious to why are you closely monitoring the update on Bill C-24 if you have already gotten the citizenship? Don't get me wrong your posts are insightful, I even +1'd you, it'ss just usually members keep a close eye on the forum until they get what they're applying for, and afterwards they are nowhere to be found!
Actually I have tried to manage going through withdrawal. I am, without a doubt, a Citizenship and PR law junkie. In another forum I discussed my personal journey to citizensip, the Me-and-My-Dog (RQ, the dreaded RQ) background. Ultimately I was not issued RQ and my timeline from application to oath was barely eight months. But I had long anticipated a high risk of RQ for me, even before (long before actually) the implementation of OB 407 in 2012, and consequently dove deeply into the citizenship application process going back to around 2009 (and had been paying attention to it prior to that), following all the news, reports, and actual cases, which had anything to do with requirements for citizenship but especially focused on the residency requirement, and the process for residency-cases.

And of course the biggest change in Bill C-24 affecting the largest number of people is the revision of section 5 of the Citizenship Act (from a strictly jurisprudence and fundamental principles of law perspective, the changes to grounds and procedure for the revocation of citizenship is a much, much bigger change, but it affects a very small number of people). Right up my alley so to speak (before Bill C-24 was tabled, just about a year ago, I had already posted, in multiple forums, dozens if not hundreds of posts referring to Federal Court justices railing about the need for the residency requirement to be amended).

In any event, I have continued to follow residency case issues and Bill C-24 in particular.

I am no expert, just another dude on the Internet, but I do have a long, formal, professional background in jurisprudence (albeit not Canadian) and, in the last quarter century or so that has been focused on writing about the law (professionally, for lawyers, just not Canadian lawyers) as my day-job (although I tend to work nights for some reason), and given that in conjunction with the extent to which I have followed and researched this issue, I get the sense my observations are for some (not everyone) informative, illuminating, interesting, and that on occasion I even help individuals to better understand the process in a way that helps some make better decisions in navigating their own way through the process.

In any event, I am trying to be informative and helpful. Other than some occasional stints serving dinner at a nearby shelter, giving some very senior citizens, one who will be 100 years old this summer, weekly rides to church, and this or that odd job -- like getting off the computer soon and going out to a church to do some snow removal -- I do not have a lot of opportunity to be of service to others, so the effort to inform and even sometimes help others by explaining what I have learned about the citizenship application process is one more effort I make to feel good about my life. I at least pretend I am helping. I surely hope I am.

Which actually does bring the subject back around to the effective date of Bill C-24.

There are bound to be credible rumours sooner or later, sometime before there is an official announcement as to the actual date the revised residency provisions will come into force.

There was a web page at the CIC site which just last week indicated the government was planning to accelerate the implementation of the revised provisions governing grounds for revoking citizenship ahead of the schedule for the remaining provisions, with no hint though regarding the coming into force date for the revised residency provisions. However, I cannot duplicate the search that resulted in finding that CIC web page.

In the meantime, though, I give near zero weight to claims that someone knows the date the revised residency provisions will come into force is in any particular month. I am confident the actual date is still a closely held secret within a very small circle of individuals close to Harper. I wonder if anyone at CIC other than Minister Alexander himself knows. If some do, again the number is almost certainly very few.

Because there is a fair amount of contextual information, including the notices and statements CIC issued last June 2014, which included the statement that the residency provisions would be in effect in "approximately" a year, many (including me) have safely speculated that these provisions will come into force this year, probably June or July, most likely between May and August, but we do not really know.

While the impending Federal election had probably influenced what Harper decided will be the date these provisions come into force, there is little or nothing to be gleaned from that as to what the date actually will be, and it is most likely that Harper and his inner circle (which has gotten smaller lately) already have decided on a specific date . . . and all we can do is wait for the news.

As I said, there probably will be credible rumours before the actual date is known, since CIC will have to make some major changes, at the very least to the application forms. There is no hint that any rumours to date are at all credible.

Final remark regarding my junkie compulsion: There are two contrasting (albeit not exactly opposite) perceptions of jurists:
once a lawyer, always a liar
or
the law is a jealous mistress

Either way, among those for whom the law is a profession, the law tends to become a compulsive obsession. Jurists tend to be law junkies. I am not a Canadian lawyer, but . . . well addiction is what it is. But I am also a writer, and writers tend to write, to write compulsively. The combination is not so bad as being addicted to a diet of uppers/downers but . . . well, again, addiction is what it is. Which means those uninterested in what I offer need to do a little extra scrolling in a few topics here. So it goes.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you are talking about that web page
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-changes.asp
where it is mention that...
Changes with respect to a new revocation decision-making process and new grounds for revocation of citizenship may come into force earlier than the above-listed provisions.

na123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
screech339 said:
It is quite possible that CiC doesn't want to make it official too far in advanced that it may cause a tsunami of applications coming in to beat the deadline. By minimizing the time between announcement and official cutoff date, it also minimizes the flood of application. It won't stop the flood but at least minimizes it to prevent CIC from being overwhelmed with applications. After all, it takes some time to gather documentations together, such as CBSA records (30 days), travel records from foreign countries, etc, etc.

Screech339
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think we need the CBSA records or the travel records from foreign countries. I am only asking because if these are needed then to better start ordering them soon, but the CIC website mentions nothing about these forums.

I always wonder why do so many people send so many stuff that is not initially asked from them, I am honestly just asking because I am curious if there is a benefit to that.

I am looking forward to dpenabill comment on this as well, as his posts are insightful.

Thanks.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
na123 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think we need the CBSA records or the travel records from foreign countries. I am only asking because if these are needed then to better start ordering them soon, but the CIC website mentions nothing about these forums.

I always wonder why do so many people send so many stuff that is not initially asked from them, I am honestly just asking because I am curious if there is a benefit to that.

I am looking forward to dpenabill comment on this as well, as his posts are insightful.

Thanks.
If you only traveled once or twice a year then having a cbsa record is not needed. However those who traveled lot, will want to order cbsa records so that they are get their travel record accurate.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
na123 said:

I agree with screech339, there is no reason to obtain CBSA records unless one needs more information about one's own travel dates. Even then, while it appears the CBSA travel history as to dates of entry into Canada is often, if not usually complete, it is not always complete.

PRs should keep exact records, for themselves, of all international travel.

Actually, however, last I looked the CIC website does mention the CBSA travel history, and specifically says that applicants for citizenship do not need to obtain these. The application currently provides a checkbox for applicants to give CIC permission to directly access CBSA travel history records.

As for travel records from foreign countries, these can be requested by CIC in the RQ process, or sometimes in a specific document request.

There is no reason to include these with the application itself. If included with the application I suspect they are more likely to raise questions than resolve them.

frenchie

Oct 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 31st 2012
Doc's Request.
included with application
AOR Received.
Nov 8th 2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Feb 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
Feb 14th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
LANDED..........
May 3rd 2013
Hi everyone,

a few weeks ago, someone here reported that they had called CIC, spoken with a supervisor, and that that supervisor had indicated that the forms for citizenship application would change in June, and the new residency requirements would come into force on July 1st.

While I understand that nothing will be certain until there is an official statement from CIC, I would like to try to confirm that by getting to speak to a supervisor as well (or a few, at different times) and see what they have to say / if they confirm.

My question is how do you speak to a supervisor ? I assume that if you just speak to an agent and ask them to put you through a supervisor, they may get upset / refuse to do it, no ? What's a good way to speak to one ?

Thanks !

frenchie

Oct 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 31st 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 8th 2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Feb 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
Feb 14th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
LANDED..........
May 3rd 2013
Anyone on how to speak to a supervisor (see above) ?

Thanks !

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Before I used to call many times CIC, but I've managed to speak with a supervisor only 3 times. The supervisors knows much more information compared to the regular call agent who only can read what the processing agent has written as a notes on the applicants profile. The other thing the regular call agent does is telling the people information that it's too general and can be found on the CIC website.
Speaking with a regular call agent is just a waste of time.
But to reach a supervisor you need to ask the call agent to do it for you... there is no separate telephone line for that.
Most of the times they will basically refuse to let the people speak with their supervisor, but if you try very often you will find an agent willing to let you speak with supervisor.

Speaking with supervisors is the right approach, just be patient and call many times.

frenchie

Oct 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 31st 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 8th 2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Feb 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
Feb 14th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
LANDED..........
May 3rd 2013
Thanks for your feedback MUFC, appreciate it !

na123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
Guys,

Lets keep this thread active, and lets share any new news or updates that any of us might hear about this topic. I think the government will hopefully give a couple of weeks notice, so the close we get to June/July the more the call center agents will start having more exact dates about the new requirements.

Thanks.

I have about 90-95 days left :)

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think that they will announce officially the cut off date soon.
The mystery has to go on until the last moment.
I guess that the people are just tired from that anticipation.

By the way don't ask the regular call agents about the cut off date... they don't know... it is just a waste of time.

jassi_cool1980

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2011
guleph on
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
8 bands
File Transfer...
march 2010
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
march 2011
LANDED..........
9'th of june 2011
hi
i am new to this post my time line for citizenship is in August this year , i am little bit worried . will they or wont they? as election are due this October.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
jassi_cool1980 said:
hi
i am new to this post my time line for citizenship is in August this year , i am little bit worried . will they or wont they? as election are due this October.
Yep. That's the question, when will they actually bring the revised residency requirements into effect?

All you can do is wait and watch for the news. And hope as well I suppose.

Sometime in August (or the 1st of September) is probably the very latest the Governor in Council will order the revised provisions to come into force. (Recognizing that most following this apprehend it will be before August. Also recognizing that none of us really knows when it will be, other than as you allude, before the Federal Election in October.)

hgn

Feb 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So...

In the current system, if one is found guilty of treason, terrorism and equivalent heinous crimes, one cannot be stripped of citizenship? It only applies to those applying under the C24 bill?

Will the C24 actually speed up or slow down the process in this case? hmmm...