+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
emamabd said:
so if that person only had a canadian citizenship, to which country will they deport him? and will that country even accept him since he will have no status there.
Again, not all revocations of citizenship for fraud will result in deportation.

Loss of citizenship status does not necessarily strip an individual of all status to live in Canada. Indeed, many stripped of citizenship for fraud (committed in obtaining citizenship) may return to PR status.

For an individual who is stripped of all status to live in Canada, and is inadmissible to Canada, procedures affecting that individual are then governed by the IRPA NOT the Citizenship Act.

Note for example, even if a person is a citizen of, say, Syria, and has been stripped of all status in Canada, Canada cannot and will not deport that individual to Syria if that means the person will be subject to torture there. Persons in Canada but inadmissible are ordinarily entitled to pre-removal risk assessments.

Thus, again, whether or not citizenship can be revoked is an issue separate and apart from if and when an individual may be or will be deported from Canada. Different rules. Different procedure.

This is not to overlook the obvious: that individuals stripped of all status to live in Canada, and inadmissible to Canada, will ordinarily be subject to deportation . . . but how that happens, if deportation even actually does happen, is separate and apart from the issue of who may have their citizenship stripped and why. Again, there are currently individuals still in Canada whose citizenship and all other status in Canada has been stripped, but Canada cannot (as yet anyway) deport them.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Dave01 said:
Hello guys:

How true that Trudeau is going to reverse bill 24? Any info on that please?

Thanks,

Dave
They *might* eventually repeal one or two of the highly contentious clauses but it's here to stay I suspect.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dave01 said:
Hello guys:

Thanks,

Dave
He didn't vote on C-24 and also neglegted to answer the request by the change.org group seeking to repeal the act (Mulclair and the greens did). So, I doubt that we can expect anything from him.

lithium002

Nov 11, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb/07/2013
Doc's Request.
Aug/22/2013
AOR Received.
Mar/19/2013
Med's Request
Dec/01/2013
Med's Done....
Dec/09/2013
Passport Req..
Mar/13/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Mar/26/2014
LANDED..........
Mar/30/2014
This is directly from the Liberal Party's website:

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/international-students-and-temporary-residents/

We will give international students and temporary residents credit for time already spent in Canada.

We will make it easier for international students and other temporary residents to become Canadian citizens by restoring the residency time credit. We will also make changes to the Canadian Experience Class, to reduce the barriers to immigration imposed on international students.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Dave01 said:
Who knows? He made some promises but how often do politicians keep their promises when elected?

If I had to guess, I'd say the Liberals will take a closer look at C-51 and make changes to that. C-51 was the more contentious one among Canadians and they will focus on that one. C-24 did not get much mention compared to that one.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
keesio said:
Who knows? He made some promises but how often do politicians keep their promises when elected?

If I had to guess, I'd say the Liberals will take a closer look at C-51 and make changes to that. C-51 was the more contentious one among Canadians and they will focus on that one. C-24 did not get much mention compared to that one.
I can understand him revising C-51 as his support has costed him a lot of support to NDP.

C-24 not sure what he will do. Funny that he only discussed terrorists losing citizenship but no mention about treason or citizenship fraud during campaign. If he removes terrorism from list for losing citizenship, does it means he also have to remove treason/citizenship fraud as well? After all they existed before terrorism was added to the list.

If he only removed terrorism from the list, I guess lawyers will have to charge treason to terrorists instead. According to the old citizenship law, treason is ground for losing citizenship. I guess we already had this "two tier" citizenship all along and nobody gave a hoot.

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
surgi said:
For those who still think that the bills including C24 is not the main voters concern or cornerstone to vote for which party. Look at the result of provincial election in Alberta. Alberta votes for the progressive conservatives since 40 years. No other party could find a place in Alberta. The NDP won 54% of votes!!!. Do not forget Ontario and Quebec provincials too!! I know well many immigrants moved to vote for NDPs including Chinese who are not usually a part of the voters mass. Everybody is afraid from the attitude of the government and those Bills. If the conservatives declare the effective date of Bill C24 before the federal elections I think it will be as a suicide and they will have no chance to win. It will be a fatal mistake. So I think who has to apply before elections mostly will have a good chance to apply on the old rules.
Harper did everything to fail !! Bravo Harper!!!

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
Chris Alexander the ex minister of immigration who could not reply on the intent to reside clause in the law and told lies, lost his seat in Ajax. Bravo Ajax!!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
surgi said:
Chris Alexander the ex minister of immigration who could not reply on the intent to reside clause in the law and told lies, lost his seat in Ajax. Bravo Ajax!!
How did he lie when it only applies to period of citizenship process?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
surgi said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMoa1vbxRWk
Do you prefer that the law is changed so that those who left Canada after getting citizenship be stripped of it?

As of the law, it only applies to the application process.

Did you intend to apply for citizenship on way to the airport and only come back for test and oath?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
screech339 said:
C-24 not sure what he will do. Funny that he only discussed terrorists losing citizenship but no mention about treason or citizenship fraud during campaign. If he removes terrorism from list for losing citizenship, does it means he also have to remove treason/citizenship fraud as well? After all they existed before terrorism was added to the list.

If he only removed terrorism from the list, I guess lawyers will have to charge treason to terrorists instead. According to the old citizenship law, treason is ground for losing citizenship. I guess we already had this "two tier" citizenship all along and nobody gave a hoot.
As observed already elsewhere, the premise here is false.

There was no revocation of citizenship for treason in the Citizenship Act before Bill C-24 enumerated a number of criminal convictions constituting grounds for revoking citizenship, including a conviction for treason as prescribed by Section 47 of the Criminal Code.

Repeal of those provisions will not affect the provisions specifying grounds for revocation based on fraud or misrepresentation. Again, this only takes away that which was not legally obtained, so is not considered an act which results in statelessness, and this is consistent with the international agreements, regarding statelessness, which Canada is a party to.

The point is not to reduce or eliminate penalties for the various crimes specified as grounds for revoking citizenship, but to recognize that citizenship itself is not a commodity, that a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian.

Technically the Liberals could simply repeal section 10.4, which is the statute in effect creating two tiers of citizenship, but that would clearly make section 10.(2) invalid anyway. And my sense is that there is a high probability the Supreme Court of Canada would reject these provisions anyway (may do so yet, depending on if and when the repeal of these provisions take place and whether that is deemed to render already pending cases moot), despite the ruling to the contrary by Justice Donald Rennie (when he was still a Federal Court Justice, before his appointment to the Federal Court of Appeals).

Banishment, after all, was a medieval practice which has long been rejected by modern nations.

KrisR

Star Member
Dec 10, 2008
Forum Members,

I have a very specific question about the application of BILL C-24 - SCCA Act.

1.) I am a Permanent Resident who lives in Windsor but works in the US - I commute across the border on a daily basis . I have been doing this for the last 3 years now

2.) I renewed my PR earlier this year successfully ( Had included all my entries and exit stamps)

Now the question is , how do i interpret the "Intent to Reside" clause in this case (when applying for Citizenship) - Because i do satisfy the Reside in Canada clause but i do not satisfy the requirement that I am not working for the provincial gov when i work in the US .

Thoughts on this appreciated --

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
KrisR said:
Forum Members,

I have a very specific question about the application of BILL C-24 - SCCA Act.

1.) I am a Permanent Resident who lives in Windsor but works in the US - I commute across the border on a daily basis . I have been doing this for the last 3 years now

2.) I renewed my PR earlier this year successfully ( Had included all my entries and exit stamps)

Now the question is , how do i interpret the "Intent to Reside" clause in this case (when applying for Citizenship) - Because i do satisfy the Reside in Canada clause but i do not satisfy the requirement that I am not working for the provincial gov when i work in the US .

Thoughts on this appreciated --
You will be fine as windsor is your residency thus maintain your "intent to reside" during citizenship process.