+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Momz said:
What do you mean by the 2nd phase of the citizenship law has come into effect as of Aug 1st? Like what are the rules that are already in effect? I would appreciate examples. Thank you so much.
http://tinyurl.com/kgdalqx

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is funny how they still keep the implementation date for the residency out of the public.

Today I was told again that, no changes are planned for the first half of 2015 and they will be implemented sometime in the second half of 2015.

If there is a delay to be expected that means that if some people postpone their travel outside , they might be eligible to apply according to the old 3 out of 4 years rule for some extra days or weeks next summer.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
Is the entry into force date in the hands of the Governor General ? Could we ask him to delay it a little bit ?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A lot of internal policy changes have to be done before the date of implementation. Moreover the staff has to be trained properly and from some immigration lawyers there is information that this training has to be at least one year. In the middle of July this training didn't start yet. Some people who have met their local MP's have said the same thing about that training and the whole changing internal process that it will take a lot of time.
So the chances the date to be delayed are pretty good.

That's why probably they have chosen the convenient word Approximately, because some people understand Approximately like +-1 month difference, but for others Approximately is +-6 months.

The question is more like how many extra weeks or months the people will have to apply after Canada Day 2015.

It seems that the Governor has to set the date according to other variables. The process is not that straight forward.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Liberal MPs to hold meeting on controversial citizenship law

Mississauga News
By Chris Clay

MISSISSAUGA – A pair of Liberal MPs will speak at a meeting on Sunday in Mississauga about a controversial immigration bill that was enacted earlier this year.

Liberal Citizenship and Immigration critic John McCallum and Scarborough-Guildwood MP John McKay are both slated to speak at the event being held at Trinity Hall about Bill C-24, which is also known as the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act. The bill, which was brought forward by the federal Conservatives, passed into law in June.

Sheref Sabawy, who is seeking the Liberal nomination in the Mississauga-Erin Mills riding for next year’s federal election, organized the meeting. He said Mississauga is home to a large number of newcomers who could be affected by some of the changes in the act and there have been plenty of questions about it when he’s out in the community.

Supporters of the law say the changes will strengthen rules around citizenship and cut down on citizenship fraud, among other benefits. However, detractors say it gives too much power to the federal government to take away citizenship and it has other problems.

Some of the changes include requiring citizenship applicants to be physically present in Canada for a total of four out of their last six years and they need to be in Canada for at least 183 days per year.

Sabawy says there are some changes he feels will be beneficial but believes, on the whole, the changes have more negatives than positives.

The meeting runs from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Admission costs $2. Trinity Hall is located at 1245 Eglinton Ave. W.

It doesn't allow me to post links here but these people might know better how much time the delay of the implementation will be.

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
Need an Advise from all seniors:

I am planning to apply for Citizenship by Sept 30, 2014, it's only after reading the posts in this forum that i realized that the new rule will be applicable next year, otherwise i was thinking that it's effective immediately this year. Thanks to all of you for sharing the great information

So here is my Situation:
Got PR in April 2012 (So its over 2 years now)
Days of stay before PR (Within 4 years i.e Sept 30, 2010 to April 2012) - 475
Days in Canada after PR (April 2012) - 875
So 875 + 237 (Half of 475) = 1112

Am i eligible ? ! ?

Nuwa

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gst8486 said:
Need an Advise from all seniors:

I am planning to apply for Citizenship by Sept 30, 2014, it's only after reading the posts in this forum that i realized that the new rule will be applicable next year, otherwise i was thinking that it's effective immediately this year. Thanks to all of you for sharing the great information

So here is my Situation:
Got PR in April 2012 (So its over 2 years now)
Days of stay before PR (Within 4 years i.e Sept 30, 2010 to April 2012) - 475
Days in Canada after PR (April 2012) - 875
So 875 + 237 (Half of 475) = 1112

Am i eligible ? ! ?
Use Residence calculator to check your eligibility: https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks Nuwa, i just did the calculations using the link you sent and it says "According to the information you provided, you meet the residence requirement" .......wooooohooo !
Nuwa said:
Use Residence calculator to check your eligibility: https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
So i am going to apply for my Citizenship within this month, any advise (for documentation or anything else) before i apply .............. ? ! ?
I would really appreciate that ! !

Nuwa

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gst8486 said:
Thanks Nuwa, i just did the calculations using the link you sent and it says "According to the information you provided, you meet the residence requirement" .......wooooohooo !
Congratulation…!!! :)
Good luck with your application.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gst8486 said:
So i am going to apply for my Citizenship within this month, any advise (for documentation or anything else) before i apply .............. ? ! ?
I would really appreciate that ! !
Prepare a detailed application and it will go well. gd luck

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many of the knowledgeable agents also say that it will be enforced in the second half of 2015, but when exactly nobody knows.

Everybody who submit their application before Canada Day 2015 is most likely to be processed according to the old rule.

Maybe the people will have also few extra weeks after July 1st to apply in the 3 out of 4 years rule.