+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effect of marriage on PR process

Tom1144

Oct 6, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am applying for PR under CEC and I also just got married - my spouse is Canadian. What I'm wondering is, how does this effect the PR application process?

In particular:

-My current work permit expires November 24th and my PR application is taking much longer than expected. My intention was to be done by the time my work permit expired, but I'm still not even past the completeness check. Is there any type of spousal bridge visa that I can apply for? Or anything else that will let me stay in the country? (Note that I've already applied for a BOWP - but that will only work out if my completeness check is done by November 24)

-Is there anything else I should be doing with my application now that I'm married? Should I be notifying immigration? Updating my PR application? Starting a new application? Or anything else?

Thanks

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
My wife is Canadian, we were married during my PR process. As far as I know, there is no spousal bridge visa, only the BOWP, which as you know, hinges on your application passing the completeness check. You'll be able to stay here as a visitor quite easily.

You should let CIC know that you are married, they will request your marriage certificate. I applied under the old CEC, so the process is a bit different, maybe you EE guys update your PR application rather than wait for requests, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Tom1144 said:
-My current work permit expires November 24th and my PR application is taking much longer than expected. My intention was to be done by the time my work permit expired, but I'm still not even past the completeness check. Is there any type of spousal bridge visa that I can apply for? Or anything else that will let me stay in the country? (Note that I've already applied for a BOWP - but that will only work out if my completeness check is done by November 24)

No, that is not correct. After your work permit expires (November 24), if you have not already received the BOWP, you will be on "implied status" until the completeness check is completed and a decision made on your BOWP.

-Is there anything else I should be doing with my application now that I'm married? Should I be notifying immigration? Updating my PR application? Starting a new application? Or anything else?

It sounds like you applied before you got married. You are REQUIRED to notify IRCC about your change of family status. You can do this by sending a case-specific enquiry (CSE) online.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

You can upload a copy of the marriage certificate along with a scan of your wife's birth certificate or Canadian passport. It will have no impact on your application. You are not adding her to the application (because she is already a Canadian citizen), you are informing IRCC about your change of family status.