+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EE Security in-progress

Mek22

Star Member
Mar 26, 2021
Hi Everyone I have good news Elhamdillullah (Thank God) my PR is approved. Finally, 22 months of wait time came to an end. You all will get your PRs soon. Just hang in there and be patient. I wish everyone the best of luck with receiving your PRs soon. Lessons learned and things helped and didn't helped:
1. I contacted my MP 5 times. I can't say it was successful. Down the road, it all depends on whether your MP's office is actively engaged and eager to help you. They do not have much power to influence the decision, but it helps to get the most up-to-date status on your application. MP's office also helps you constantly remind IRCC about your case.
2. Probably you already figured this one out. Do not spend much time and money on GCMS Notes. I ordered them 2 times and last time I waited over 8 months and it never showed up. Because it takes longer to generate GCMS Notes these days the information is also already outdated by the time you receive them. Instead, always order CBSA notes. It comes much faster (at least happened for me) and it gives enough details to understand where is your application.
3. If your application is stuck at background check for over 3 months then you are most likely going through an enhanced security check. Expect to wait anywhere from 6 months to several years.
4. If you are using any immigration consultant, depending on their professional level but in most cases expect to make much of the work for them. Constantly check on their deliverables and always ask them to send you confirmation via email that they in fact submitted documents on time. I almost missed the critical deadline.
5. If you are waiting over 12 months, start talking to immigration lawyers and start the mandamus process early.
6. Check your Visa Officer and look for in case you are assigned to inactive VO. My application was assigned to inactive VO and it stayed untouched for around 14 months.
7. If you will have a minor error in your application then expect that it could get stuck at IRCC longer than usual. Based on the triage system your application could go to a slow-moving pile automatically. If you do not get any updates on your application every 1-2 months then most likely your application is pushed into a slow-moving pile. I had issues with proof of funds at the beginning so it was the main reason why the application was pushed to slow-moving pile.
8. Try to speak to IRCC officer over the phone and explain your situation especially if you have kids. Most of the time officers are trying to help you if you are waiting longer than expected, especially children involved.
9. If you get a procedural fairness letter requesting additional documents or confirmation. Take it seriously, IRCC is planning to reject your application but gives you the last chance to correct the situation.
10. If you are in Canada and using Canadian banks no need to provide 6 months of bank statements for proof of funds. Just getting a snapshot of your account is enough. If you really want to be on the safe side you can get an Affidavit from Notary Public to confirm how much money you have in your bank.
11. CEC is much faster than PNP.
12. Always aim for higher NOC, in-demand professions, and job promotions. Surprisingly it also affects your application.
Finally, don't worry about your application too much. Eventually, you will get your PR approval. Just constantly at least 1-2 months follow up with IRCC and remind them about your case. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Takita

May 12, 2021
Hi Everyone I have good news Elhamdillullah (Thank God) my PR is approved. Finally, 22 months of wait time came to an end. You all will get your PRs soon. Just hang in there and be patient. I wish everyone the best of luck with receiving your PRs soon. Lessons learned and things helped and didn't helped:
1. I contacted my MP 5 times. I can't say it was successful. Down the road, it all depends on whether your MP's office is actively engaged and eager to help you. They do not have much power to influence the decision, but it helps to get the most up-to-date status on your application. MP's office also helps you constantly remind IRCC about your case.
2. Probably you already figured this one out. Do not spend much time and money on GCMS Notes. I ordered them 2 times and last time I waited over 8 months and it never showed up. Because it takes longer to generate GCMS Notes these days the information is also already outdated by the time you receive them. Instead, always order CBSA notes. It comes much faster (at least happened for me) and it gives enough details to understand where is your application.
3. If your application is stuck at background check for over 3 months then you are most likely going through an enhanced security check. Expect to wait anywhere from 6 months to several years.
4. If you are using any immigration consultant, depending on their professional level but in most cases expect to make much of the work for them. Constantly check on their deliverables and always ask them to send you confirmation via email that they in fact submitted documents on time. I almost missed the critical deadline.
5. If you are waiting over 12 months, start talking to immigration lawyers and start the mandamus process early.
6. Check your Visa Officer and look for in case you are assigned to inactive VO. My application was assigned to inactive VO and it stayed untouched for around 14 months.
7. If you will have a minor error in your application then expect that it could get stuck at IRCC longer than usual. Based on the triage system your application could go to a slow-moving pile automatically. If you do not get any updates on your application every 1-2 months then most likely your application is pushed into a slow-moving pile. I had issues with proof of funds at the beginning so it was the main reason why the application was pushed to slow-moving pile.
8. Try to speak to IRCC officer over the phone and explain your situation especially if you have kids. Most of the time officers and you are waiting longer than expected.
9. If you get a procedural fairness letter requesting additional documents or confirmation. Take it seriously, IRCC is planning to reject your application but gives you are last chance to correct the situation.
10. If you are in Canada and using Canadian banks no need to provide 6 months of bank statements for proof of funds. Just getting a snapshot of your account is enough. If you really want to be on the safe side you can get an Affidavit from Notary Public to confirm how much money you have in your bank.
11. CEC is much faster than PNP.
12. Always aim for higher NOC, in-demand professions, and job promotions. Surprisingly it also affects your application.
Finally, don't worry about your application too much. Eventually, you will get your PR approval. Just constantly at least 1-2 months follow up with IRCC. Good luck everyone!
Congrats!

Security status per latest CBSA notes.
Did you see something like below in your notes at any point of time in your process so I can set expectations on my timeline?

Security Status CBSA notes

Security Sub Activities Status CBSA notes

Mek22

Star Member
Mar 26, 2021
Congrats!

Security status per latest CBSA notes.
Did you see something like below in your notes at any point of time in your process so I can set expectations on my timeline?

I think you got the standard descriptions. I also had similar descriptions. Based on your timeline they are actively working to finalize your application. Give it another month. I think you should hear from them soon. Also, try to follow up with them over the phone. I know it is hard to reach try early mornings or later afternoons. You have more chances to get hold of them.

Reactions: Takita

Takita

May 12, 2021
I think you got the standard descriptions. I also had similar descriptions. Based on your timeline they are actively working to finalize your application. Give it another month. I think you should hear from them soon. Also, try to follow up with them over the phone. I know it is hard to reach try early mornings or later afternoons. You have more chances to get hold of them.
Application due date assigned by officer 31 Mar. so Can I expect update around next week or so?

Did you get GU when security passed?

How long did it take for you to get Security passed from In Progress as you have same descriptions?

Do you think sub activity will change to comprehensive in the future since it looks like a regular check/screening based on CBSA notes?

For me, CSIS confirmed they concluded on same day 6 Feb and sent back to CBSA so It's pending with CBSA or IRCC at the moment.

huiqin

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
redacted. It's written by same Officer after eligibility passed notes. Not sure if he has any say in security screening as there is no adverse info (NRT).
We had very similar updates GU (eligibility passed) followed by Sch A request on the following day. Then security in progress, but mine was a month eariler than yours

Takita

May 12, 2021
We had very similar updates GU (eligibility passed) followed by Sch A request on the following day. Then security in progress, but mine was a month eariler than yours
Did your CBSA notes show same status as my screenshots above?

Did you get update yet? Isn't your due date assigned on file already passed? Full timeline?

DKalkhand

May 9, 2022
hey folks, I called the IRCC agent a few times and they said everything else is passed for my application besides security which is still in progress (it's been about 1.5 months now). After reading some posts, it seems "in progress" pretty much means it's an enhanced check which will take a very long time to clear? Does anyone know if it's possible that that is just a normal check?
My security check is in progress since 16 Sep 2022.

DKalkhand

May 9, 2022
Background verification started on 16 Sep 2022.New ADR second medical request on 19 April 2023.Some movement after a wait of 7 months.What does it imply my SS is complete.

flyfirefreedom

Star Member
Feb 23, 2023
Application due date assigned by officer 31 Mar. so Can I expect update around next week or so?

Did you get GU when security passed?

How long did it take for you to get Security passed from In Progress as you have same descriptions?

Do you think sub activity will change to comprehensive in the future since it looks like a regular check/screening based on CBSA notes?

For me, CSIS confirmed they concluded on same day 6 Feb and sent back to CBSA so It's pending with CBSA or IRCC at the moment.
Did you get updates before the due date?

Jane_Daphne

Mar 22, 2023
I got CBSA notes last week. Security started 6 Feb per Tracker, calling agent same day & GU3. Security screening In Progress with CBSA 8 Feb.

See signature for full timeline.

Do you see something like below in your notes?

May I ask according to your GCMS notes, what RC your application was assigned to during the security process?
my application was assigned to "RC- C06", and I couldn't figure out what office this code stands for,
Just wondering if that is some CBSA office.
Thanks!

Last edited:

flyfirefreedom

Star Member
Feb 23, 2023
May I ask according to your GCMS notes, what RC your application was assigned to during the security process?
my application was assigned to "RC- C06", and I couldn't figure out what office this code stands for,
Just wondering if that is some CBSA office.
Thanks!
What is your AOR and only security left?