+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Educational credential assessment (ECA) / having your occupation recognised

Jul 22, 2019
Hey guys. I am considering my options for moving to Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker Programme in the future, and I have some questions about the process of how your occupation is recognised. I have recently completed a Master's in Environmental Management, and I'm about to start a job as an Environmental Consultant working for a British Government agency. Looking through the skilled occupation list, two roles which could apply to my profession are:

190. 4161 Natural and applied science policy researchers, consultants and program officers
86. 2121 Biologists and related scientists

I can't find any information online about how the Canadian immigration service will assess your skills and decide whether your work experience is relevant to the occupation you are applying through. There is the Educational credential assessment (ECA), but this seems to be just to assess your education, not your work experience? If my Master's in Environmental Management is recognised by ECA, how do I go about proving my that my employment history is relevant to my designated skilled occupation? This process seems to be be a little more complicated than if I worked in a regulated profession, like being a Doctor or Teacher. Would membership of a professional organisation help? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks a lot!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed.html