+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Education, Immigration, and LMIA

mooskan

Dec 4, 2016
Hi,
I'm a prospective international student planning to get a masters degree in Canada. I want to find a job and stay there after I graduate but I'm worried about the immigration process and LMIA. I have 2 questions

1. Can you get permanent residency (after finishing a masters degree in Canada) if you don't have a job offer or you aren't employed when you're applying for permanent residency?
2. Can you get permanent residency after you have done a masters degree in Canada and found a related job BUT don't have the Labour Market Impact Assessment? How likely is it to get permanent residency without the LMIA?

(PS: I know no one can know if you can get permanent residency, but there are experienced people on here and I'd like to hear their experiences, opinions, and "predictions" because I'm lost. I want to know how much chance I'd have in those scenarios, roughly)

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1 - Yes assuming you are eligible under the FSW program.
2 - You don't need LMIA to get PR, your CRS score should be competitive enough with a year of Canadian skilled work experience.

mooskan

Dec 4, 2016
1 - Yes assuming you are eligible under the FSW program.
2 - You don't need LMIA to get PR, your CRS score should be competitive enough with a year of Canadian skilled work experience.
Thank you so much for the answers. So for both options, I'd need work experience then? I wouldn't be eligible without at least a year of work experience?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oui, one year of work experience to be eligible under the CEC program or the FSW program.

mooskan

Dec 4, 2016
Oui, one year of work experience to be eligible under the CEC program or the FSW program.
Thank you. Is one year of work experience outside Canada enough to be eligible for FSW? I have 10 months of work experience but since I worked more hours a week, the total number of hours in my 10 months is over the number Canada requires. Does that count as 1 year work experience then, even though it's 10 months?

Another question: Is it possible to get PR without enough work experience if you studied there? Can I collect enough points through the other requirements even if I don't meet the work experience criteria?

I think the OINP is like that, right? No work experience requirement? Do the other provinces have anything similar?

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
Thank you. Is one year of work experience outside Canada enough to be eligible for FSW? I have 10 months of work experience but since I worked more hours a week, the total number of hours in my 10 months is over the number Canada requires. Does that count as 1 year work experience then, even though it's 10 months?

No. You need to have both - 1 year experience and minimum number of work hours.

The extra hours worked do not add up into days that you can use to fill the gap in work experience.

Another question: Is it possible to get PR without enough work experience if you studied there? Can I collect enough points through the other requirements even if I don't meet the work experience criteria?

Not possible in Express entry. Maybe some PNP program allows it. Not sure.

I think the OINP is like that, right? No work experience requirement? Do the other provinces have anything similar?

Try checking the PNP websites.