+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

editorial name change and received a letter from CIC

laomiao

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
When I landed in Canada the officer somehow inserted a blank space in my first name on the landing paper, changing it from "ABCD" to "AB CD", and unfortunately all my later IDs such as PR card, driver's license, health card, repeated the same mistake.
When I started to apply for citizenship 3 months ago, I definitely want to correct this mistake for my future Canadian passport, so I indicate in the application form that I want "ABCD" and it's an editorial change.
Shortly after I sent out the application package, I initiated a process with CIC to correct my landing paper and fortunately I have already received an approval letter for that change. This letter is supposed to be used to correct my other IDs.
Today I received a letter from CIC saying that since I requested name "ABCD", I need to provide "provincial IDs(driver license, health card)" in 6 months. It's really stupid to ask for these because I have already submitted those provincial IDs in my package and they are all in the wrong name anyway. Now I'm wondering if it's suffice to submit that name change approval letter to them instead of the provincial ID that's requested? Or I should get driver-licence/health-card corrected first and send new IDs to CIC? I really have no idea what's the process of changing names on driver-license/health-card and how long it would take. I live in Quebec btw.

I'm looking forward to your valuable suggestions and thanks in advance.

eltorpe

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
laomiao said:
When I landed in Canada the officer somehow inserted a blank space in my first name on the landing paper, changing it from "ABCD" to "AB CD", and unfortunately all my later IDs such as PR card, driver's license, health card, repeated the same mistake.
When I started to apply for citizenship 3 months ago, I definitely want to correct this mistake for my future Canadian passport, so I indicate in the application form that I want "ABCD" and it's an editorial change.
Shortly after I sent out the application package, I initiated a process with CIC to correct my landing paper and fortunately I have already received an approval letter for that change. This letter is supposed to be used to correct my other IDs.
Today I received a letter from CIC saying that since I requested name "ABCD", I need to provide "provincial IDs(driver license, health card)" in 6 months. It's really stupid to ask for these because I have already submitted those provincial IDs in my package and they are all in the wrong name anyway. Now I'm wondering if it's suffice to submit that name change approval letter to them instead of the provincial ID that's requested? Or I should get driver-licence/health-card corrected first and send new IDs to CIC? I really have no idea what's the process of changing names on driver-license/health-card and how long it would take. I live in Quebec btw.

I'm looking forward to your valuable suggestions and thanks in advance.
As you said, "This letter is supposed to be used to correct my other IDs." so use that letter to change the name on your driver's license and health card. In Ontario, if you bring your name change documentation to ServiceOntario, you will get a temporary driver's license and health coverage confirmation issued in the new name immediately, and you will receive the plastic cards in the new name in the same amount of time as a regular renewal.

To be honest, you should probably have these IDs updated now anyway, whether CIC is requesting for them or not (for the purpose of your citizenship application) because you will have to provide a supporting ID in the same name as your citizenship certificate for your passport application later.

laomiao

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
thanks Eltorpe for your comments. I went to the RAMQ (Quebec health card department) to ask for name change today and I will receive a new card in two weeks. it's simpler and faster than I thought. I will change my driver license too.