+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eCOPR , TRV and PRTD

Chethan_Katte

Apr 14, 2024
We( Our family) just received eCOPR. We have valid Visitor Visa's. Can we go out and return to Canada without any issues?
Do we need PRTD?

Kindly share your thoughts.?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
We( Our family) just received eCOPR. We have valid Visitor Visa's. Can we go out and return to Canada without any issues?
Do we need PRTD?

You need PRTD or you can travel across the US land border (if you have US visitor visa or can travel through US with your current passport) .

Reactions: Chethan_Katte

Chethan_Katte

Apr 14, 2024
You need PRTD or you can travel across the US land border (if you have a US visitor visa or can travel through US with your current passport) .
Thank you. We do have a US visitor Visa. However, we do not have a PRTD for canada. Are you saying we can still enter the US, checkout places, and come back?.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Reactions: sri88

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
Do we need PRTD?

Yes, you can use your CoPR to cross border by walk or in private vehicle (no commercial vehicles like taxis, rent a car) .

I remember I confirmed this calling IRCC in 2019 when I was in a similar situation. However, I got PR card in less than 10 days before my travel.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes, you can use your CoPR to cross border by walk or in private vehicle (no commercial vehicles like taxis, rent a car) .
You could get a taxi to drop you off and walk across. Then call another taxi to pick you up on the other side.
I think rental car may be an option BUT it's very expensive to rent on way (rent in US and drop of in Canada). If plan to drive both ways, I think you need to double check on insurance coverage and if it's allow by the rental.

But no bus, no flight, no ferry for sure.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But no bus, no flight, no ferry for sure.
I would not be quite so categorical for the above except for 'flights', and even there - commercial flights.

For buses (and I expect for ferries but I'm only guessing) - my impression is that it really depends. The real question is whether the bus companies will let you board the bus or not.

The bus services might be regulated as 'carriers' in the way that transport canada defines it (and it's my impression that there are bus services like megabus that are just not regulated this way, whereas greyhound might be).

But even if they're not it's (I think) a less serious issue for the bus companies than for the airlines, because they can just take the individual back to the nearest bus terminal (city).

And just as likely is that if the person is held up at the border, they can agree with the person to just leave them there. And if the person is already at the physical border (port of entry), then they will be admitted (they may just miss their onward bus - whcih, no big deal, get another).

Again, I don't know this for sure. But about the only way someone could test this is eg get to buffalo and then board a bus to toronto - if they won't let you board, there's your answer.

This is NOT advice. More just expressing that we might know how it's supposed to work, but then someone might find out that it's effectively not working that way at all in the real world. I hope someone tries and lets us know.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I would not be quite so categorical for the above except for 'flights', and even there - commercial flights.

For buses (and I expect for ferries but I'm only guessing) - my impression is that it really depends. The real question is whether the bus companies will let you board the bus or not.

The bus services might be regulated as 'carriers' in the way that transport canada defines it (and it's my impression that there are bus services like megabus that are just not regulated this way, whereas greyhound might be).

But even if they're not it's (I think) a less serious issue for the bus companies than for the airlines, because they can just take the individual back to the nearest bus terminal (city).

And just as likely is that if the person is held up at the border, they can agree with the person to just leave them there. And if the person is already at the physical border (port of entry), then they will be admitted (they may just miss their onward bus - whcih, no big deal, get another).

Again, I don't know this for sure. But about the only way someone could test this is eg get to buffalo and then board a bus to toronto - if they won't let you board, there's your answer.

This is NOT advice. More just expressing that we might know how it's supposed to work, but then someone might find out that it's effectively not working that way at all in the real world. I hope someone tries and lets us know.
Sorry about skipping out with details. But it's probably best for OP to use a private car. (less uncertainty)

Reactions: armoured