+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eCOPR travel

david_savard

Star Member
Mar 17, 2016
Asking for a friend.

While waiting for his PR card, my friend said they will be receiving a Electronic version (eCOPR) that they can download.

His question is, can this be used to travel or will he need to wait for the PR card?

Thank you in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Asking for a friend.

While waiting for his PR card, my friend said they will be receiving a Electronic version (eCOPR) that they can download.

His question is, can this be used to travel or will he need to wait for the PR card?

Thank you in advance
He can certainly leave Canada without a PR card.

In order to return to Canada, he needs to have either a valid PR card or valid PR Travel Document in hand. He won't be allowed to board a plane to Canada with just the eCOPR.

The exception would be if he's re-entering Canada from the US through a land border crossing.

Reactions: YVR123

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Csn you check he got any email once ecopr was uploaded or he has to go and check manually in the pr portal?

Ashan Perera

Star Member
Aug 2, 2016

In order to return to Canada, he needs to have either a valid PR card or valid PR Travel Document in hand. He won't be allowed to board a plane to Canada with just the eCOPR.

The exception would be if he's re-entering Canada from the US through a land border crossing.

Hi,

How to get this PR travel document?

Please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

simbameeko86

Nov 2, 2021

I see you said there would be an exception re-entering though a land border crossing. I recently received my eCOPR but I don't believe I will have my PR card by next month when I am going to visit home then re enter back through a land crossing If I just show my eCOPR I shouldn't have a problem?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I see you said there would be an exception re-entering though a land border crossing. I recently received my eCOPR but I don't believe I will have my PR card by next month when I am going to visit home then re enter back through a land crossing If I just show my eCOPR I shouldn't have a problem?
That's right. If you are re-entering through a US / Canada land border, you can use your COPR.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
I literally did this today, and was through the border in two minutes. The officer's only comment was "oh cool this is only the second eCOPR I've seen. These are new with covid usually it would have been done in person."

anas.albakri

Apr 20, 2019

But the website says that we can enter Canada with COPR if it is valid.
" Starting June 21, 2021, any foreign national who holds a valid Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) may travel to Canada."
Individuals approved for permanent residence may travel to Canada as of June 21 - Canada.ca

I'm asking because I also want to travel. I recently uploaded my photo and address in PR portal and planning to travel once I get the eCOPR.

Now, I'm not sure what to do. DO I have to wait till getting my PR card?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But the website says that we can enter Canada with COPR if it is valid.
" Starting June 21, 2021, any foreign national who holds a valid Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) may travel to Canada."
Individuals approved for permanent residence may travel to Canada as of June 21 - Canada.ca

I'm asking because I also want to travel. I recently uploaded my photo and address in PR portal and planning to travel once I get the eCOPR.

Now, I'm not sure what to do. DO I have to wait till getting my PR card?
Your status isn't clear.

What you quoted above only applies to scenarios where someone receives COPR outside of Canada and then travels to Canada to land and become a permanent resident for the first time.

In scenarios where someone is already a PR (i.e. has already gone through landing formalities and is waiting for their PR card), the COPR cannot be used to return to Canada. The person needs a valid PR card, valid PR travel document, or needs to re-enter Canada through a US/ Canada land border from the US.

anas.albakri

Apr 20, 2019
Your status isn't clear.

What you quoted above only applies to scenarios where someone receives COPR outside of Canada and then travels to Canada to land and become a permanent resident for the first time.

In scenarios where someone is already a PR (i.e. has already gone through landing formalities and is waiting for their PR card), the COPR cannot be used to return to Canada. The person needs a valid PR card, valid PR travel document, or needs to re-enter Canada through a US/ Canada land border from the US.
Thank you very much for the quick reply.
Actually I'm in Canada but was a temporary resident. I'm applying for PR for the first time.
I applied to PR through TR2PR program and got the PR portal confirmation recently and now my photo and address under review by IRCC.
So even after receiving my ecopr, because I'm already in Canada, I can't reenter Canada with COPR only?

So if I want to get the PR travel document instead how long will it take on average? websites mentions just "varies"

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for the quick reply.
Actually I'm in Canada but was a temporary resident. I'm applying for PR for the first time.
I applied to PR through TR2PR program and got the PR portal confirmation recently and now my photo and address under review by IRCC.
So even after receiving my ecopr, because I'm already in Canada, I can't reenter Canada with COPR only?

So if I want to get the PR travel document instead how long will it take on average? websites mentions just "varies"
That's right. You won't be able to use the COPR to return to Canada.

Best to have at least a couple of weeks (more is better) for the PRTD application. You can only apply once you are outside of Canada. The answer will also depend on which country you're applying from.

Eli51

Jan 28, 2015
With ecopr you can reenter by a private vehicle or walking across the bridge only. It cannot be used on any commercial carrier (Airlines, Greyhound etc. However you may use a commercial carrier to leave Canada by land.

YCR7

Star Member
Jul 13, 2022
Has anyone recently re enter canada with eCopr and valid passport via land border in private Vehicle?
please share your experience