+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eCoPR received today & travelling back to Ireland on Thursday. Will my Open Work Permit still be valid on my return in January?

Pasquel

Dec 13, 2021
Hi there, got an email from IRCC today saying "Your application for permanent residence has been approved. The final step in processing your application is to confirm your permanent residence and create your permanent resident card. You’ll complete this process through the Permanent Resident Portal (PR Confirmation)."

I won't have my PR card in time before I travel (16th December). Will I still be able to get back into the country with EoPR? Thanks.

User1id2

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
Hi there, got an email from IRCC today saying "Your application for permanent residence has been approved. The final step in processing your application is to confirm your permanent residence and create your permanent resident card. You’ll complete this process through the Permanent Resident Portal (PR Confirmation)."

I won't have my PR card in time before I travel (16th December). Will I still be able to get back into the country with EoPR? Thanks.
No. The ecopr has in bold saying not valid for travel across the page.
You will not be able to board a plane on the way back. You would have to apply for a travel permit for permanent residents at the Canadian embassy where you're going.
You could ask a friend to watch your mail and mail it to you. But that is veryyyy risky and not worth it. I would advise you to wait until you get your PR card. Do not leave Canada without it. Hooefully you get your card in a week.

User1id2

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020

Also your status already changed to permanent resident if you got your ECOPR. You can't use your work permit to enter as a worker after you have been officially declared as a permanent resident.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022

ryanm32

Jan 21, 2018

Hi Pasquel,

I am in the same situation, was sposed to travel too NYC on the 21stgot my ecopr on the 11th October, still haven’t received my pr card in the mail. ( They blame covid and the Afganistan situation for how slow they are, but really they just dont care once you have paid all the money and waited all this time too get pr)
My immigration consultant told me that once you get the copr it cancels out the work permit you had, so it is no longer valid to travel on, unless you come back over the border into Canada in a private vehicle, otherwise we were sposed to apply for a permanent resident travel document(Which cost $50 just another money squeeze). If you link you pr card to your cic account I think you can get info on where your pr card is in the process, personally I have given up!